It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's Tories for More Islamic Schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Once in power, Britain's opposition Conservatives party is planning to allow Muslims to build more Islamic schools to accommodate their religious education needs.

What ? that's all we need, more religious schools, especially Islamic schools..

We want to meet the rights of parents to give their children a faith-based education in accordance with their Islamic beliefs," Shadow Schools Secretary Michael Gove told the Yorkshire Post on Monday, June 1.

That sounds like a bad idea to me...
but no need to worry because :

He said the new schools would be monitored by well-trained inspectors able to distinguish between moderate and extremist teachings. "(This will give) a sense that we are all one nation who have made a certain set of shared sacrifices but enjoy certain shared freedoms."

I already disagree with Christian Schools but Islamic Schools? In Britain? No thanks!
How about just secular schools?

Full story

[edit on 2-6-2009 by artvandalay]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I thinks its about 95% of UK schools are church of England. Surely all schools should be secular in this day and age. I remember being forced to go to Sunday school just so I could go to the local CofE primary. In a way being forced into a religion at such an early age only made me question it more. especially when God didnt bring me a BMX after I prayed for one.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

95% are you sure?
Sounds like a lot to me.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
On the other hand:

A controversial Islamic school will not be built in Camden after a court today rejected an appeal by the school's backers.

And at the hearing in April, the council's evidence included a letter signed by four Christian churches stating that Islam espoused views that were "incompatible with the Australian way of life".

but

However the council insisted its refusal was based on planning grounds, arguing it was incompatible with the rural zoning and would cause problems for traffic and neighbouring farms.

Australia won't go down easily !

Full article

[edit on 2-6-2009 by artvandalay]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Better to control something than push it underground...

By allowing accredited and inspected schools to be built, they will keep children out of the hands of any extremists.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
15% of children go to faith schools in the UK

There is still a relatively high demand from parents for faith school places. Just under 6 per cent of the population count themselves as regular churchgoers but 15 per cent of all pupils attend faith schools

The areas with the highest proportion of pupils in faith schools were Westminster, with 65 per cent, and Kensington and Chelsea, with 59 per cent. In third place was Liverpool with 47 per cent.

Source
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Tsk, and here's me living in the UK thinking we were supposed to a 'multicultural' society where we intergrate with one another to make a more tolerant society.
Silly me for thinking that way , now I shall have to become a rascist, sexist, age-ist and any other *ist just to fit in my own country because thats the way it seems to be heading.

Seems to me that we are becoming more segregated and proud of doing it.

[edit on 2/6/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Tsk, and here's me living in the UK thinking we were supposed to a 'multicultural' society where we intergrate with one another to make a more tolerant society.
Silly me for thinking that way , now I shall have to become a rascist, sexist, age-ist and any other *ist just to fit in my own country because thats the way it seems to be heading.

Seems to me that we are becoming more segregated and proud of doing it.

[edit on 2/6/09 by DataWraith]
this is my main problem with minoritys and religion, if you don`t want to intergrate then why should the majority even hear you, it just sets thing up for conflict in the future by makeing it US and THEM when its ment to be WE, or so were told

new topics

top topics

join