It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blinking DSL light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ok, so I have the low end, high speed DSL from Verizon. I'm using a Westell modem. I am currently having bad problems with the internet connection going out. Verizon is supposed to be working on it. I keep getting calls saying that they are working on it. It's been days, and I still don't see a resolution to the problem.

The DSL light will blink. It will sometimes come back on for a while. Sometimes it will cut on only for a short while, then shut off again. The Internet light will sometimes go red.

The last several days have been a nightmare. I need my line to work. It's useless to me like this, when I need to run business stuff from this line.

I have re-seated connections, done all that reboot stuff.

I keep running into problems like this on and off. It's never really been resolved. I've talked to Verizon about it on more than one occassion.

Seems like a rain sometimes makes it worse?

I've thought maybe it's my wall outlet connection but I'm not sure. We've recently had a problem with the phone line and everything going out, which AT&T came and fixed. The connection on the blue tower box on our land was corroded, so the technician moved the connection. The line sometimes sounds dirty, but not always, on the phone.

Anyone have any insite on this? I guess I could try and replace the wall outlet while I'm waiting on Verizon. I don't know if it will help or not, but it is one of the oldest pieces of equipment in my internet connection.

Troy

[edit on 1-6-2009 by cybertroy]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Check your filters on the phone line, you should have no filter (or a split dsl/phone filter) on the line coming into the modem, and the rest of the phone connections should have an in line filter attached. A single filter can sometimes degrade the line signal so much that the modem cannot stay synced up to the DSLAM and thus maintain a internet connection.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I tried a different filter. The phone wires inside the house aren't that old, as a note. I only have one phone. It shares the same phone jack via a splitter. But, I don't think it changes anything to have the modem hooked straight up to the phone jack without a splitter.

I've been through this stuff so much with this connection. The cable broadband I had before was much more reliable. I will be going back to that if Verizon doesn't resolve this. I switched to DSL because it was cheaper. I just feel like some of the old phone wiring just isn't reliable as an internet connection.

Right now the connection is fine and dandy. Tomorrow, who knows?

Troy

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm switching over to Comcast Friday. The phone line is just acting Looney Tunes.

I renewed my Magic Jack to a local number, and I plan on forwarding calls from the old land line number, with the use of numbergarage.com, bypassing the whole phone line, and hopefully saving some cash in the process.

Troy

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Yeah, a blinking DSL light usually means that you need a line splitter. If you have something like an alarm in the house, this will interfere with the connection.

Also as said by Helig, check all your line filters. Line filters help separate the tones from the cable. It is important you have a line filter on every connection that you use for both phone and internet.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
what country are you in, and how does the dsl get to you? im in uk so might be off as using some uk terminology.

what it sounds like is your router is simply losing sync with the exchange or host. when the light goes solid it usualy means that sync has been achieved , when it flashes it means its not in sync and no data can go through, the blinking means its trying to achieve sync but cant.. it knows its their but is being stopped... as opposed to absolutely no dsl/sync light on at all, as that basicly means that theirs no dsl on that line.

when you say its worse when it rains, it sounds like wherever your line is attached water is getting in and messing things up, this happens more than you would think, i work for an isp and come accross this every so often. what its normaly caused by is the connections not being properly sealed and rain can get in.

with every dsl issue though, always swap filters, remove everything from all other sockets except your master socket,also test a different modem/router.

normaly though, if its something like rain effecting it, its probably been spotted and this is why its taking so long, as someone will have to physicaly fix it, unlike most other dsl issues which can be fixed remotely.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
I'm switching over to Comcast Friday.

Smart move.

I got rid of my land line several years ago when I realized that I was only using it for third-rate internet service (dial-up) and that what I was spending on the land line and the ISP was more than I would spend on cable (Comcast).

[edit on 2009/7/19 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join