It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaurs- Are They Alive Today

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

It was about noon. I had gone over to see my parents at their home and I had climbed up on my parents roof to see what repairs they had made to their roof top.

I was up there about 2-3 minutes and all of a sudden a huge shadow of a bird covered the whole house roof as it passed over, and I thought that was kind of strange, so I looked up almost directly into the sun, and I held my hands over my eyes to block the sun. Above me maybe one hundred yards above me were two huge birds circling me, looking directly down at me.

I was a little nervous seeing such large birds, they were much, much larger than eagles and buzzards. I watched them for a few more seconds and then I got down off of the roof because they were that large, I felt like I would be carried off if I stayed up there any longer.

At 5'11" and 200+ pounds, it would take a huge bird to carry me off, and both of these birds looked like they could easily do it. I got down off the roof and looked at them from under the eaves of the back porch. They circled again, and they flew east over the tree tops of the osage orange trees at the half mile line to the east of their house a half mile away. They were huge as they flew over the trees.

I watched the news for days expecting to hear someone else make a report about those two birds. Their wing spans had to be very similar as the wing span of a Cessna 150, and I've been around planes for a long time.

I've been around eagles, and vultures and great horned owls and these two birds dwarfed those types of birds, those birds had dark wings, but they looked like regular birds all except the size.

One time I was even attacked by a mother great horned owl. I had been at the top of the temple nearby, feeding her fat fluffy baby chicks a rabbit I had killed when all of a sudden the momma great horned owl swooped down from out of nowhere and hit me in the head broadside with her claws. I thought someone had been hit me with a football in the side of the head at first until I saw her fly off. My brother had seen the whole thing happen, it was a once in a lifetime scenario.

Another time my brother and I were hunting, I had just shot a huge 14 point buck during a heavy rain storm and we were tracking him. He had run into a wide shelter belt of trees (about 20 yards wide) and I told my brother to take the other side and shoot to kill the buck if he saw him as we walked the lenght of the shelterbelt of trees.

When we were half way down the shelter belt, there was a clearing and I could easily see my brother he was running at me and waving his arms in great excitement and yelling my name. I thought he had seen the buck and he must be getting ready to come out in front of me from the shelter belt, so I started looking forward again with the 7mm rifle ready once more.

But nothing came out in front of me. Then my brother was beside me out of breath and asking me if I saw it, and I told him no, I didn't see the buck. He said, "not the buck", but "the creature stalking you". I said, what are you talking about, and he said that as we were walking along he suddenly noticed a creature of some sort coming along behind me getting ready to get me, but his yelling must have scared it off.

He said it was big barrel chested and looked like a half wild dog and half ardvark. So.. there is that creature out there also, because maybe a year or so later I saw the same creature as he described run right out onto the roadway right in front of my Honda car. Those areas are still very wild areas. To me, it looked like a Hyena with a chest as big around as a 30 gallon drum, small narrower rear end, built like a buffalo but more dog like with a very ugly face with a long snout; almost like a werewolf on all four legs, just like the ones in the movies.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Wow, what an awesome story. I am glad that you decided to share it here. And present FIRST HAND Eyewitness testimony that is greatly appreciated. The "birds" must have really been a sight to see, but hey who knows friend, maybe you did see a dinosaur.....

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiracy
I love cryptozoology. It is so interesting, i remember when i was young the giant squid was a myth and today it is a real animal.

Me too! I think the same way as you do!

My husband and friend thought I was a nutter when I got all excited every time a news report about a finding of a tenticle of a giant squid came on TV. This happened every few years during the 90's, if you remember. Then the Discovery channel had one on film !! W O W !!

Now it's just like my 6 year old says about the beach, " Mama, those people out there in the water must not know what's in it or they wouldn't go in there!"

She's right too, you know. You never know what's in that water , just lurking out of eyesight.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
damn if anything were to be described as cumbersome
that was some cumbersome research

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What an awesome Crypto thread Myth!

I do not recall the last one I saw like this, and a classic topic. I don not have anything to add as it has all been covered but great job.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here is a tale of a Lake Monster near here.

It is called the bear lake monster. Bear lake for those that don't know lies at the Utah / Idaho border. It is called the Caribbean of the Rockies. This lake is really massive (I take trips up there every summer). It's great for recreational activities, but I personally never swim in the water. It is about 280m deep even though there are spots where the bottom has never been found.

I have heard many tales of the Bear Lake monster in my travels there. It is very widely talked about amongst the locals. If there is a monster (seeing the lake) it picked almost the perfect body of water to hide.

Straddling the Utah /Idaho border in the upper northeastern corner of Utah , is beautiful Bear Lake. In addition to its wonderful sporting opportunities for boaters, skiers, and fisherman, Bear Lake allegedly is called home to a sea monster.

Said to resemble a huge brown snake, nearly 90 feet long, the legend has been around from the days when only Indians inhabited this area. When white settlers came to the valley, the Shoshone Indians inhabiting the area told of how the creature had often captured and carried away their people. Their description of the animal sounded much like a large crocodile or a mythical dragon.

Bear Lake, Utah Bear Lake, courtesy Utah State Parks According to the many who have spied the serpent, it has a thin head, a large mouth, and small legs that it utilizes to move swiftly through the water. The slithering snake like-creature has also been described as spouting water upwards from its mouth and moving so fast through the lake, that it leaves a wake behind, much like a boat. Others have said they have seen the monster crawl up onto the beach with short flipper-like legs. Once upon the sand, it holds its head high and turning it from side to side as it looks about. Though many believe the monster to be nothing more than a legend, there has been some scientific research made into his actual existence. Findings theorize the creature could be a descendant of a dinosaur-like creature or sea lizard from the time when Lake Bonneville covered the entirety of this great basin. In the summer of 1871, a local citizen was said to have actually captured a “young” member of the monster family near Fish Haven. This report evidently had some credibility as it was reported in the Salt Lake City Herald: "This latter-day wonder is said to be about twenty feet in length, with a mouth sufficiently large to swallow a man without any difficulty, and is propelled through the water by the action of its tail and legs." The citizen, a fisherman, had actually set a large trap, made especially for the purpose of trying to capture one of the “beasts.” As to what happened to the captured creature, no one seems to know. If the legend of the sea monster, itself, is not enough, another legend tells that even the mythical Pecos Bill, the “King” of tall tales, once wrested the sea monster, a fight that lasted for several days.

Source

Most accounts lend a very similar description. Here is an illustration of what the creature is thought to look like.

In the desserts of Utah you will find a lake called Bear Lake. Indians told explorers of the strange creatures that are said to haunt the lake.

In 1860 four people saw a large serpent-like creature, with about twenty feet visible, which appeared to be covered in short hair. They could also see two of it’s flippers. Mr. McNeil said that he saw a large creature resembling an alligator come on shore. He said it was a about seventy-five feet long and had a horse-like head.

Sometime before 1883 a group of men encountered a monster laying on the shore of the lake. Soon, the creature hurled itself into the water leaving a great commotion.

Captain Hirschi reported that in 2002 he saw a sixty-five foot long monster from about two-hundred yards.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Excellent Contribution. That is very cool. I am very sure that one day people will capture one of these lake monsters and turn history side ways. Yep that is a beast in the waters, imagine catching o ne of thos things..lol

[edit on Jun 4th 2009 by TheMythLives]

[edit on Jun 4th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I fish bear lake every summer, so I just might.
I will bring some photo equipment up with me this year tho.. Just in case..

On a side note, I found this one. Looks like a Gryphon and the scary part about it is I think it might be real.... I mean there is a fly laying eggs on it....

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Who knows maybe you will get the photo that will change Dino-history as we know it. And if you do you can rake in the Big bucks...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Yeah, but I really don't want to get too close. A 60ft serpentine alligator? NO THANK YOU!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Here is an extention on my previous post re: the bear lake monster. This is an article written in 1868 about the monster.

The Legend Of The Bear Lake Monster
The story was written in 1868 by Joseph C. Rich and was sent to the Deseret News Newspaper. It goes as follow:

"The Indians have a tradition concerning a strange, serpent-like creature inhabiting the waters of Bear Lake, which they say carried off some of their braves many moons ago. Since then, they will not sleep close to the lake. Neither will they swim in it, nor let their squaws and papooses bathe in it.

Now, it seems this water devil, as the Indians called it, has again made an appearance. A number of our white settlers declare they have seen it with their own eyes. This Bear Lake Monster, they now call it, is causing a great deal of excitement up here. S. M. Johnson at South Eden was riding along near the Lake the other day when he saw something a number of yards out in the lake which he thought was the body of a man. He waited for the waves to wash it in, but to his surprise, found the water washed over it without causing it to move. Then he saw it had a head and neck like some strange animal. On each side of the head were ears, or bunches the size of a pint cup. He concluded the body must be touching the bottom of the lake. By this time, however, Johnson seems to have been leaving the place so rapidly he failed to observe other details.

The next day three women and a man saw a monstrous animal in the lake near the same place, but this time it was swimming at an incredible speed. According to their statement, it was moving faster than a horse could run.

On Sunday last, N. C. Davis and Allen Davis of St. Charles; Thomas Sleight and James Collings of Paris, with six women were returning from Fish Haven when about midway from the latter place to St. Charles, their attention was suddenly attracted to a peculiar motion of waves on the water about three miles distant. The lake was not rough, only a little disturbed by the wind. Mr. Sleight ways he distinctly saw the sides of a very large animal that he would suppose to be not less than 90 feet in length. Mr. Davis doesn't think he was any part of the body, but is positive it must not have been less than forty feet in length, judging by the waves it rolled up on both sides of it as it swam, and the wave it left in the rear. It was going south, and all agreed it swam with a speed almost incredible to their senses. Mr. Davis says he never saw a locomotive travel faster, and thinks it made a mile a minute. In a few minutes after the discovery of the first, a second followed in its wake, but seemed much smaller, appearing to Mr. Sleight about the size of a horse. A larger one followed this, and so on until before disappearing, made a sudden turn to the west a short distance, then back to its former track. At this turn Mr. Sleight says he could distinctly see it was of a brown color. They could judge somewhat of the speed by observing known distances on the opposite side of the lake; and all agree that the velocity with which these monsters propelled themselves, was astounding. They represent the waves rolling up on each side as about three feet high. This is substantially their statement as they told me. Messengers Davis and Sleight are prominent men, well known in the country, and all of them are reliable persons, whose veracity is undoubted. I have no doubt they would be willing to make affidavits to their statements.

Was it fish, flesh. or serpent? Amphibious, of just a big fib, or what is it? I give up, but live in hopes of some day seeing it. The Deseret News ran the story July 31, 1868. Great excitement followed. A news staff member during the next month quizzed many Bear Lake people and found hardly a person who doubted it.

However, the inevitable skeptics did appear on the scene. The Indians had taken a great deal of interest in stories of the monster and claimed that their ancestors told them about a monster. They were telling some pretty good-sized stories about the creatures.

In 1874, a traveler named John Goodman came through the Bear Lake Valley. He described an Indian legend about two lovers whom, upon being pursued by some of their fellow tribesmen, plunged into the lake and were changed by the Great Spirit into two large serpents. However, this is just a legend. The description of the Monster was the following: A creature with a brown-colored body, somewhat bigger in circumference than a man, anywhere from 40 to 200 feet long. Its head was shaped like a walrus without tusks or like an alligator's, and the eyes were very large and about a foot apart. It had ears like bunches, about the size of a pint cup. It had an unknown number of legs, approximately eighteen inches long, and it was awkward on land, but swam with a serpent-like motion at a speed of at least sixty miles an hour. No one ever described the back part of the animal since the head and forepart was all that was ever seen. The rest was always under water. Make believe? No one knows for sure.

Only the head was seen and the rest of the body was underwater... Hmmm.. Sounds like gator behavior to me! Whether this thing really exists or not, is not for me to say. I will say however, that North America has it's own lochness monster!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Indeed very much like a gator. And why would you not want to touch the serpentine gator? The most it could do is eat you whole..... I see....lol

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMythLives
reply to post by DaMod

Indeed very much like a gator. And why would you not want to touch the serpentine gator? The most it could do is eat you whole..... I see....lol

Or tear me limb from limb before it eats me. Perhaps it wants to save one of my legs for its young? I had another thought. I'll see if I find any photos in the local businesses. Its kind of a huge deal up there. I've talked to a couple people at a bar up there that have claimed to have seen it. I will say I have been looking for something (other than UFOs and the local big foot sightings in the forest land here.) up here that i could investigate, and this seems to fit the description of a likely reality. I'll see what I can come up with (if anything). I always keep a fish finder handy too while I am on the lake. Might find something there too. I will probably be going up in about 2 weeks to catch me some of the nice lake trout in there. They are very tasty! The water up there is almost completely clean. Very very minimal pollution and grime in the water so the meat tastes clean (even the carp). The water is very clear and nice blue green color. Definitely a fairy tale mountain lake.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The Lake Champlain Monster

Also, has anyone ever figured out what this is?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Mokele-M’Bembe Explorations

AMERICAN EXPEDITION 1909
Naturalist Carl Hagenbeck recounted in his autobiography how two separate individuals - a German named Hans Schomburgh and an English hunter - told him about a "huge monster, half elephant, half dragon," which lived in the Congo swamps. Later, another naturalist, Joseph Menges, related to Hagenbeck that "some kind of dinosaur, seemingly akin to the brontosaurs," inhabited the swamps. Hagenbeck soon sent an expedition to the Congo to search for the monster, but the effort was quickly aborted due to disease and hostile natives.

GERMAN EXPEDITION 1913
In 1913, Capt. Freiherr von Stein zu Lausnitz was sent by the German government to explore the Cameroon. Von Stein wrote of a unique animal called, in the local tongue, Mokele-mbembe, said to inhabit the areas near the Ubangi, Sangha, and Ikelemba Rivers. Von Stein described the creature thus:

"The animal is said to be of a brownish-gray color with a smooth skin, its size approximately that of an elephant; at least that of a hippopotamus. It is said to have a long and very flexible neck and only one tooth, but a very long one; some say it is a horn. A few spoke about a long muscular tail like that of an alligator. It is said to climb the shore even at daytime in search of food; its diet is said to be entirely vegetable. At the Ssombo River I was shown a path said to have been made by this animal in order to get at its food. The path was fresh and there were plants of the described type [a liana] nearby"

AMERICAN EXPEDITION 1920
A 32-men-strong expedition was sent out from the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C. After six days, African guides found large, unexplained tracks along the bank of a river and later the team heard mysterious "roars, which had no resemblance with any known animal," coming from an unexplored swamp. However, the Smithsonian's hunt for Moklele-Mbembe was to end in tragedy. During a train-ride through a flooded area where an entire tribe was said to have seen the dinosaur, the locomotive suddenly derailed and turned over. Four team members were crushed to death under the cars and another half dozen seriously injured.

AMERICAN EXPEDITION 1932
In 1932, American cryptozoologist Ivan Sanderson was traveling in Africa and came across large hippo-like tracks in a region with no hippos. He was told by the natives that they were made by a creature named the "mgbulu-eM'bembe." Later, Sanderson saw something in the water that seemed too large to be a hippo, but it disappeared before he could investigate further.

AMERICAN EXPEDITION 1972
In 1960, herpetologist James H. Powell, Jr. took interest in the African dragons and organized an expedition to the Congo in 1972. Powell's expedition, unfortunately, was fraught with problems (the United States and the Congo had poor relations at the time). Many months of hardships such as snake-bites, near-drownings and tropical diseases only led to more witness testimonies about Mokele-Membe and another lizard-like creature which locally was called "n'yamala."

AMERICAN EXPEDITION 1976
In 1976, James Powell decided to go to Gabon instead, inspired by a book called "Trader Horn." (In 1927, the book, a memoir of the author's time in Gabon, specifically along the Ogooue River, was written by Englishman Alfred Aloysius Smith. He recorded hearing of a creature called the "jago-nini" and identified it with the "amali," a creature whose tracks he had seen). He was quick to realize they were probably identical to the Mokele-mbembe. Furthermore, Powell heard local legends of the n'yamala, and locals identified pictures of a sauropod dinosaur as bearing the most resemblance to the animal.

GERMAN EXPEDITION 1980
An expedition mounted by engineer Herman Regusters and his wife Kia managed to make its way to Lake Tele, where they heard the growls and roars of an unknown creature. They also claimed to have photographed Mokele-Mbembe in the lake, as well as watching it walk on land through the brush. According to Regusters, the creature they saw was 30-35 feet long.

AMERICAN EXPEDITION 1980
Powell launched another expedition in 1980, but this time cryptozoologist Roy P. Mackal came along. Powell and Mackal found that a large number of reports came from the banks of the Likouala-aux-herbes River near Lake Tele. They said that most witnesses maintained that the animal was between 15-30 feet long (a long neck accounted for much of the length). The creature was also said to be a rust color, and that some had been seen to possess a frill or crest.

AMERICAN EXPEDITION 1981
Yet another expedition was organized in 1981 - this time composed of Mackal, J. Richard Greenwell, M. Justin Wilkinson, and Congolese zoologist Marcellin Agnagna. The expedition encountered what they believed was a Congo "dinosaur" along the Likouala River, when they heard a large animal leaping into the water near Epena. They also discovered a path of broken branches supposedly made by the animal, as well as a number of footprints.

AFRICAN EXPEDITION 1983
In April, 1983, a Congolese expedition led by Marcellin Agnagna, a zoologist from the Brazzaville Zoo, arrived to Lake Tele. Agnagna claimed to have seen the beast some 275 meters out in the lake. The animal held its thin, reddish head - which had crocodile-looking, oval eyes and a thin nose - on a height of 90 cm and looked from side to side, almost as if it was watching him. According to Agnagna, the animal was a reptile, though not a crocodile, nor a python or a freshwater turtle.

BRITISH EXPEDITION 1985-86
Englishman William J. Gibbons (presently living in Canada) talked to several eye-witnesses who gave him valuable information about the Mokele-Mbembe. He is currently convinced that the dinosaur exists, but at the time was unable to prove it. However, upon his return to the UK he brought with him the remains of a monkey which he could not identify. This was later classified as a new sub-species of crestless mangabey monkey (cerocebus galeritus). Fish and insect specimens also found in the Congos remain unclassified to date.

JAPANESE EXPEDITION 1987
A piece of blurry video footage filmed by a Japanese film crew supposedly showing the creature in Lake Tele remains disputable evidence of the animal's existence. The film is indistinct and grainy, possibly just showing two men in a boat with one of them standing upright in the front of the vessel, as is common in Africa. This has been interpreted as a head and neck, but this interpretation of the videotape is purely speculative at best.

BRITISH EXPEDITION 1990
Author and explorer Redmond O'Hanlon returned from his failed expedition convinced that witnesses must have mistaken wild elephants, crossing rivers with their trunk in the air, for a prehistoric Mokele-Mbembe.

BRITISH EXPEDITION 1992
William Gibbons tried again six years later, this time together with American explorer Rory Nugent. Together they searched almost two thirds of the unexplored Bai River while also examining two small lakes North West of Lake Tele. These are Lake Fouloukuo and Lake Tibeke, which are surprisingly absent from most maps. Both are said to be haunts of Mokele-Mbembe. Rory Nugent also took two interesting photographs of something most unusual in Lake Tele. One may actually show the head of a Mokele Mbembe.

AMERICAN EXPEDITION 2006
As reported by Cryptomundo, Milt Marcy, Peter Beach and Rob Mullin left Portland, Oregon for Cameroon on January 10, 2006. They teamed up with Pierre Sima to conduct the next phase of the cryptozoological research on the Congo/Cameroon border in search of Mokele-Mbembe. No evidence was thought to be collected.

View the picture gallery

And the information

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Is that second video real? I have never seen that, but something doesn't look right with the video. But if it is real, wtf...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

It could very well be, but i have no idea. I was kinda hoping you knew.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Has Nessie Been Sonared?

And a leading Loch Ness expert is baffled by one of the most unusual sonar readings recorded on Loch Ness while the cast was on a pleasure cruise.

Sonar pictures taken on the voyage revealed five unexplained images which have lead to monster speculation..

"This certainly adds to the Loch Ness mystery and will be the subject of further investigation.

"I don't understand five separate images on a sonar reading. It could possibly be a string of targets anchored to the bed of the loch, but that is again not likely, as the targets are 200ft apart exactly, which is why I would like to see the boat go back to that spot. There will be an explanation for this, but at the moment I just don't have one."

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
A couple days ago the History channel aired a show about pterasaur sightings in some very remote areas. Interesting show, it made me think of this thread...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Do you by any chance remember what the show was called?

Monster quest or something like that?

[edit on Jun 5th 2009 by TheMythLives]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join