It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
A made for TV movie called 10.5 will be on this weekend. It is about the big earthquake hitting the west coast. What would make the producers go and film such a movie?

Do they keep a finger on the pulse of the nations fears?

Or is this disinfo to numb us to the reality?

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
What would make the producers go and film such a movie?

Money

hopes and dreams of money.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
sounds intresting what channel it on and will i see it in the uk sometime soon

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I've seen the previews on tv already and it looks very interesting.

I'm gonna try to watch it.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
My science teacher wanted me to record it for him. hopefully it'll be as cool as it looks and not interupted by some lame Love-Story like in Deep Impact and stuff.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

"It's complete science fantasy. There is nothing in it that's connected to reality," said Jones, who has screened the miniseries. "It's very clear that no scientists were consulted in the making of the movie." But the model makers were-- lots and lots of replicas of California landmarks bite the dust.

The producers do not deny that the movie takes dramatic license when it comes to the science of earthquakes and stress that it was never intended to be factual in the first place.

"It's an event motion picture," Gary Pearl, one of the executive producers of "10.5," told Reuters recently. "Our goal wasn't to teach people about earthquakes, our goal was to excite and thrill an audience"

au.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
We've discussed this one before.

It is *SO* bad that scientists have urged the network and the producer to run an ad before the showing indicating "this is all fantasy and does not represent any real event or real science. A real earthquake of this magnitude would be very different than what they're showing here."

Apparently some of the things the actors are shown doing would be fatal as a strategy in real life.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Notice it days "The big one is only the beginning"

www.nbc.com...

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Anyone watch this movie? If so, did anyone notice in the second episode when the 'President" declared martial law in order to start evacuating the west coast, the 'news broadcast' had the words "Marshal Law" down at the bottom of their screen? I just thought it was curious that the word 'martial' was mis-spelled, and was wondering if it was intentional on the producers part. From what I was able to find via google, 'Martial Law" is the correct term.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
That's kind of funny that it would be misspelled like that.
Could be a simple mistake.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm surprised they didn't intentionally spell it "marital law" for all the gay marriage problems California is having.

I didn't see this movie. I wonder if they'll replay it later?

btw...not to be picky but, why is this thread not in [color=5D7D9D]BTS>Movies ???

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Damn that show sucked!

I'm looking forward to The Day After Tomorrow or whatever it is though.

DC

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
That movie was SO bad. First of all, there is no fault anywhere in the world that can produce an earthquake of that magnitude.

I watched about a half of an hour before turning it to real TV: Basketball and hockey playoffs!

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This is the results of the shows' ratings.

Not bad. I definately want to watch it, just to see if it's worth the hype.

'10.5' Draws 20.4 Million Viewers for NBC

Maybe there's a secret desire among television viewers to see California crumble in an earthquake.

The first part of the NBC miniseries, "10.5," was seen by 20.4 million viewers on Sunday night, the most popular movie on NBC in five years, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Ratings results for 10.5

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I thought the movie was garbage besides all the destrucion... even that was kinda stupid though. Though after watching this, I couldn't help but wonder if this is what happend to all these place like Atlantis that are deep underwater, besides just explosive volcanic eruptions.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
people..the movie was just that...A MADE FOR TV MOVIE...a long, long time ago..MOVIES were entertaining...they used REAL LIFE ideas sometimes, but most times the ideas were PURE FANTASY....

that was back in the day tho, when we didn't need the government, science, or the media to tell the viewer...DUDE....THIS ISN'T REAL...ITS ONLY MAKEBELIEVE...

my apologies if this comes off as anything but what it is meant to..and that is to say...art may imitate life and life may imitate art...but...pleeeaassse...use your noodle...MOVIES/TV SHOWS ARE NOTHING MORE THAN ENTERTAINMENT...

As to this movie...that is all it was, entertainment...for being a made for TV movie, they did a good job on their effects...notice i didn't say excellent...but the effects were acceptable for the small screen...the plot has been over done many times in other disaster movies...ie: EARTHQUAKE with Charlelton Heston, back in the 70's...and i would put this on the same scale as an updated disaster movie being done with the same energy...not that bad if ya like disaster movies.

~oracle

new topics

top topics

join