It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas backers jailed in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Hamas backers jailed in Texas

news.bbc.co.uk

Two founder members of what was once the biggest Muslim charity in the US have each been jailed for 65 years.

Shukri Abu Baker, 50, and Ghassan Elashi, 55, were convicted of channelling funds to the Palestinian militant group, Hamas.

Three other members of the Holy Land Foundation were jailed for between 15 and 20 years by a Dallas court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
What!? Say what you like about Hamas,but i didn't know it was illegal to give money to a *government*.Just read the BBC article,funding a "Palestinian militant group" no that would be the democratically elected government
I dont like hamas,i still think gaza should have someone to protect her from the vile,vicious,elitist and racist corrupt government in Israel though.What are your thoughts on this?

news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

These people aren't innocent by any stretch of the imagination.

1. Hamas was labeled a terrorist organization by the U.S. 14 years ago and as such it is illegal to send any type of money to them from this country

2. As stated in the story, the people involved insisted that they were just sending money for humanitarian aid, not to fund violence, but there was once glaring flaw in all of that:

But prosecutors argued that the humanitarian aid sent by the charity allowed Hamas to divert money to militant activities.

There were no assurances that the money would NOT be used for violence and yet they insisted on funneling money to them anyway.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by sos37]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Wouldn't be spent on violence?...like America shipping tons of ammunition to Israel who drop WP in a tightly packed urban areas? and kill over 300 children in less than two weeks? Hamas has many government buildings in gaza that need funding such as universities.They also routinely hand out money to citizens to rebuild their homes.Although i can see your point(no matter how much i disagree) that if its labelled as a terrorist organization in America and illegal to fund i guess thats the law of the land...although like i say i highly disagree.Thanks for your input

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
What!? Say what you like about Hamas,but i didn't know it was illegal to give money to a *government*.Just read the BBC article,funding a "Palestinian militant group" no that would be the democratically elected government
I dont like hamas,i still think gaza should have someone to protect her from the vile,vicious,elitist and racist corrupt government in Israel though.What are your thoughts on this?

news.bbc.co.uk

It "IS" illegal to funnel funds to Terrorists groups.

Hamas is and has been officially declared a terrorist group by the US/rest of the world.

I know this is foolish of me, but "IF" they really wanted to help, they could have sent food/clothing not money.

I know, I know, how dare I think and be logical.

[edit on 5/27/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I must be insane, but I thought as soon as Hamas got elected, they should have been taken off the terrorist group list and put on a hostile govt. list or something.
else any political group you do not like is a terrorist group, like the republican or libertarian or green party.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

rest of the world? wrong.The day after the elections(funded by the EU,declared democratic and fair) Israel and America took a hissy fit like little girls because they didn't like the will of the palestinain people.I guess they wanted fatah to win so they could walk all over them and make them bend to their demands.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
You can vote terrorists into office, they are still terrorists.

Read the article, they knew exactly where the money was going-I.E. they clearly knew the money was going to the terrorist group Hamas.

They knew they were a terrorist group-as designated by this country- and willfully chose to break the law by sending money.

For that matter, A terrorist group can "almost" be considered 'the enemy" and giving aid and comfort to the enemy is a crime-in this country- by up to death.

Frankly, I suspect most all countries are similar in nature in this aspect.

I also repeat," Why did they not send food and clothing", they could pay for the items and the shipping.

I am not a lawyer, but i bet that would be ok or at least more or less tolerated.

I am not kidding, I am very serious about the food and clothing.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

They could have sent food and clothing i agree,but hopefully they dont send pasta though because as we know Israel stops all shipments of pasta to gaza as they can make bombs from it
yet Israel will happily accept shipments of 1000lb bombs and tons of ammunition quite happily from America... gaza+pasta is a very real threat to Israels security apparently

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Full people are more likely to put up a fight when their homes are taken and destroyed and their money is limited.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Full people are more likely to put up a fight when their homes are taken and destroyed and their money is limited.

Of course their homes would not be destroyed if the terrorists did not attack a country almost every day.

More might be allowed in if they did not try to make weapons from everything.

top topics

join