It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnam: Memories, Nightmares, Regrets & Fate

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

Dave, I'd like to begin by saying this is (by far) the best thread I've read here on ATS, since joining in early April. Thank You!
Incredible, incredible story. WoW.

Being a veteran, I can relate to your story in alot of ways. I cannot even begin to imagine Dave, I'm sorry for the loss of your best friend.

You get real close to fellow soldiers that you serve with. It’s hard to put into words really. There is a common bond, an invisible connection that goes above and beyond those made in the real world back home. Maybe it is because you share a peril of life and death on a daily basis, I don’t know. I think although there are similarities amongst all soldiers, there are numerous unique situations and friendships too.

I know. I find myself saying the same thing. & you nailed it on the head.

I'm not even capable of coming up with words to express myself here.
In simplicity, I am grateful. Truly.

Know this. Your story is etched in my memory, my mind, and while I'm BBQing this Memorial Day I will honor Jim Brookshire, as well as all of the soldiers who have paid sacrifices, and died in combat.

As for you Dave, keep doing what you're doing brutha.....CARRYING HIS LEGACY!!!

He is proud of you right now. Proud of this marvelous story.

*salutes*

Happy Memorial Day

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Skeptic Overlord has now enabled this to the DIGG site. Only if you think it is worthy, please consider Digging this so that I may further honor Jim Brookshire.

Thanks for the consideration.

Dave

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
What a great well written honest straight from the heart post Dave. Thank you for posting that as I can say I never really think of the military on that day. I know I will now.

Anyways yea not much I can say or any of us can to follow up on that but just know those of us with good hearts feel for you and I am truly sorry you lost a best friend who to you was probably more like family.

Also, to know you should be dead has to lead to some really deep thinking.

That was written and detailed as well as any piece of writing I've read in any book or article, or short story, except that it was real.

I know it must be tough but I'm glad to know people are courageous enough to spill their hearts and let us in on some unknown history , all of which is more important than we could ever know.

I'm sorry for your loss and the feelings you have had to deal with because of it. Thank you for serving our country and putting your life on the line for a country who loves you and a war that should have never taken place.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dave Rabbit
Skeptic Overlord has now enabled this to the DIGG site. Only if you think it is worthy, please consider Digging this so that I may further honor Jim Brookshire.

Thanks for the consideration.

Dave

Pardon my ignorance but what is the Digg site and what does it do? I will do what you ask but I need to know what I am doing :-)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

There is a little box on the upper right of my opening post.... click DIGG THIS and it takes you there. Of course, like all sites now a days, they want you to register (free) and only allow members to DIGG articles or other things here and on other sites.

Don't worry about it if you don't want to join. Your expressed thoughts were deeply appreciated.

Dave

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It was a real honor to read this, Dave. Now I will remember Jim too.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I hope the reader will forgive me for not adding a few things to my initial post but sleep beckoned .

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

www.stuff.co.nz... southerners-at-war/2345770/We-will-remember-them

I was going to embed a couple of photos but since I am not sure about there size out of consideration to other members I will just post a link to the My pictures folder .

I suppose I should share something of my fathers service in Vietnam since I mentioned it . This year marks the 40th anniversary of 5RAR second tour in South Vietnam and thus forty years since he was over there . Those who know me personally know that I have a great love of cats . So being able to say that I am the Son of a Tiger * has extra meaning . On a personal note I don't usually go into what ifs but the thought has occurred to me that the difference between my father losing an eye and being killed by a landmine could not have been more then centimetres or Metres .

Anyway that is enough out of me .

* The Tiger is the 5RAR mascot .

EDIT: Corrected Link To Your Photos. Dave

[edit on 5/21/2009 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Thank you for bringing out what memorial day is about. So many in the current times view it as a extra day off work, or a excuse to go to the lake, or a reason to get drunk.
It is much more. I never served and was way to young for vietnam. But because of it i was raised a military brat. Marine Corp 29 Palms CA.
Most of my "family" or ones that cared to stick around were from the service. Now that i am older, they have almost all disapeared due to one illness or another.
Dad and my "uncle" were radio men, 1967-70 if i remember right. They both were tight lipped about stories and realy didnt talk much about the time they spent over there. Every once in a while during a gathering if you got enough booz in them, and they were in a talkative mood you could get a short story or two. But with the survival rate of radio men in the bush i'm not suprised.
I lost dad 6 years ago to agent orange, and my 'uncle' 3 years ago to the same. I dont regret a thing with the way i was raised, although being raised by a military personel poses its own problems in a relationship at times. I often though of going in, but dad always talked me out of it. I guess it was his way of trying to protect me from what he had been through.

Memorial day means a lot to me, as well as the respect i have for anyone in a uniform. (Although jar heads rule *LOL* ok had to poke fun)

Thank you to everyone that reads this thread and has served in any way, not just for me, but for my 1 yr 2mo old son. Who i hope to pass down all the qualities that i was taught growing up.

Simperfi

[edit on 21-5-2009 by severdsoul]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

You asked for a recognition of someone.
My Father. May he rest in peace. Retired Lt Colonel From US Army. God smiled on him as he never actually fought, but he was so very slose on more than one occasion in the early to mid 60's.. Toughest son of a gun I've ever known. John Wayne wished he was like my Dad. He brought me up knowing what it was to protect our country. He taught me right from wrong. When to fight. When to stand down.
Yes. I am what some call a grunt, and some call a Bastard. I have a Daddy, but I wear the title of BASTARD proudly. I will not hijack this thread, but I will go so far as to say THANK YOU to everyone of you who have served and still do.
Thank you all. Every freakin' one of you are a hero to me.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by lombozo]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This was a great read, what a wonderful tribute you have written for your friend, to be launched into cyberspace forever.

Vietnam was so ---, well the word fails me right now. I experienced it as the girlfriend of someone who came back from there very very different.

How about an entire Vietnam Section here at ATS, for anyone to share how they experienced the Vietnam war? It's definitely time, it's past time.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Semp. Dammit! What a beautiful video. Where are my sunglasses? I kind of need them right now.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

My assigned area here is pretty much it for anything to do with Military stories like this.... we have a Military & government Projects, but it is suppose to be for conspiratory things.... not life stories.

Please feel free to contribute here or even start your own thread in my area.

Dave

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
That is so moving.

To all you brave soldiers out there, I salute you, even though I do not believe in war.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

You would be very surprised at how many former combatants don't believe in war.... There is something terribly wrong with a society that will get behind a war that's primary function is corporate profit.... Eisenhower warned about "the military industrial complex" shortly before leaving office, it is unfortunate that those in power have opted to profit from death and destruction, instead of doing good for mankind.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I just want to mention my father too who served in Viet Nam 1968-1969. That war - his third, changed him in ways that maybe only war vets understand. He rarely spoke of it but it affected the entire family. I didn't know he had received some very high honors until his death. Legion of Merit for his service in Viet Nam and also a Joint Service Commendation Medal for his participation in the Paris Peace talks.

He was the last in generations who had served both in the State Department and the military. I don't think my mother could have handled it if any of my brothers had carried on the tradition. These medals are what she has left.
May he rest in peace.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Dave it's sad to hear about Jim, may he rest in peace.
But I'm so glad you are still with us. It could easily have gone the other way from what happened that day.

Sharing your experiences brings home to us just what our soldiers go through.It's an intimate reminder that , we should NEVER forget their sacrifice.

Reading your experiences also brings to my mind my own Uncle who died in WW2, a young man at 19 in Rabaul. I never knew him. My loss totally.
I often think of him.
I have his certificate of memorial. framed up on my wall, with his small B+W army pic, the last picture taken of him.

It would be nice to think that there is a fellow soldier who knew him, was close to him, who feels the same way about him as you do about Jim.
It gives me great comfort to think that.

Thank You.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I can assure you that your uncle was mourned and remembered to this day by those who fought by his side. As I said before, there is a bond amongst soldiers that remains forever a part of each of them. Your uncle's loss was shared by two families.... the ones back home.... and the ones who were with him when he died.

Dave

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Thanks again Dave.
It's heart warming to know that.
God bless you.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Mr Rabbit
Sorry to hear of your loss, however, after having read all the posts I tend to feel a bit differently.
My heart is pounding and I am furious. I was in VietNam from 68 > 69 and went through the TET offensive at Phan Rang. I hear this a lot lately," Thank you for your service to your Country " "Thank you for protecting our freedoms" WHAT ?! What the hell are they talking about ? Can anyone remember when these things have been threatened ? Not in my life time. And in no way, shape or form, did ANYONE have to die to protect said freedoms ! It is nonsense and warm fuzzy talk for people who don't have a clue about Wars or why they are fought. And Yes I am a disabled COMBAT vet. I am not all that proud of what I participated in, or why I did it. I still don't know why we went to that bloody swamp. MIAs POWs and 50.000 plus DEAD ! For What ? If you ever bump into me don't even think about saying that protecting our freedom crap. No disrespect to anyone.
I still cry sometimes, like now, not sure why.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join