It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Matters? Who are you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Okay, so I have been looking around and I am trying to track down the Media Matters annual report to see is I could determine more information about who they are and who pays the bills.

All that I have found is that on the sight is that they do not agree with what they is being presented on the conservative media.

Launched in May 2004, Media Matters for America put in place, for the first time, the means to systematically monitor a cross section of print, broadcast, cable, radio, and Internet media outlets for conservative misinformation — news or commentary that is not accurate, reliable, or credible and that forwards the conservative agenda — every day, in real time."

mediamatters.org...

I just want to know why we need a bias (admittedly) organization that is blind to the same type events that occur on the other side of the media isle.

I am not interested in proving FOX news infallible, I only interested in doing an independent study of a source (media matters) to see whether they are worth paying attention to.

What America needs now is the truth, and if we can get a filter on the media to find the truth I'll take that, but I don't want to listen to an untrustworthy source.

Also, If anyone knows of a similar (in intent) organization that monitors the left leaning media please throw some links in.

Thanks

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I would, frankly, like to see an organization that monitors all media for dishonesty. Sadly, it does not seem like anyone is willing to fund such an organization because it would probably backfire on them by reporting information that is inconsistent with their ideology.

At least this organization admits a liberal bias instead of the "fair and balanced" tagline we see advertised elsewhere.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
“Ye shall know the truth, and the truth will make you mad.”
- Aldous Huxley -

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
As far as monitoring all media, there is of course the NSA and related agencies of their respective countries worldwide.

Whether "Media Matters" or the NSA, it's a bit like having the fox guard the henhouse, is it not?

There are probably grass roots consumer watchdog organizations who do their best to monitor the most popular outlets. Unfortunately, they would have little clout other than to report their finding onto a website somewhere...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
David Brock is the founder of Media Matters... until he saw the light as it were... actually he came out of the closet and was disowned by the conservative establishment for it... he was a shrill for the hard right during the Clinton years... his most famous book was "The Real Anita Hill" but after he was disowned by the right for being gay... he repented as it were in a book called "Blinded by the Right" and afterwards started Media Matters to keep an eye specifically on what he termed as the right wing noise machine.

As for sites that keep an eye on both polities there is:

politifact.org...

And the Annenberg foundations's
www.factcheck.org...

I use them both and they are excellent.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by grover]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
sweetness-light.com...

MMFA received “more than $2 million from wealthy liberals” as start-up money in 2004. Initial donors included cable executive Leo Hindery Jr., philanthropist James Hormel, shopping mall magnate Bren Simon, and Susie Tompkins Buell, who with her husband Douglas co-founded the Esprit clothing chain.

George Soros has been a major force in funding MMFA

Major funders of MMFA include the Schumann Center for Media and Democracy, whose president is PBS pundit Bill Moyers ($500,000 in 2005), the Gruber Family Foundation ($200,000 in 2004-5), the Barbra Streisand Foundation $25,000 ($35,000 in 2004-5), the Arca Foundation ($100,000 in 2004), and the Bernard & Audre Rapoport Foundation ($50,000 in 2005).

The Bohemian Foundation gave $475,000 in2004-5. Its president is Colorado heir Patricia Stryker, the 278th richest American (on the 2006 Forbes 400 list). The Glaser Progress Foundation, whose president is Real Networks media software creator Rob Glaser, gave $100,000 in 2005.

At least two funders –the Stephen M. Silberstein Foundation ($100,000 in 2003) and the Susie Tompkins Buell Foundation ($200,000 in 2004)— gave money to MMFA through the Tides Foundation, which serves as a financial intermediary for left-wing nonprofits and foundations.

The press also reports that the Democracy Alliance, the Soros-inspired consortium of extremely wealthy liberal donors, has committed to give $50 million to selected left-wing think tanks and advocacy organizations. MMFA and John Podesta’s Center for American Progress were among the first beneficiaries…

There is more in the article, with references so you can double check.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I dont know if you would be interested in this site but I find it enlightening.
and full of info.

usa.mediamonitors.net...

About MMN
(Monday, June 9, 2003)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Media Monitors Network (MMN) is NOT just 'another' news web-site or magazine but a non-profit, non-bias and non-political platform which mainly helps to prevail the whole truth and generally facilitate answers to any disputed, controversial topic being broadcast, web cast, published, distributed or telecast in the world media. MMN is seeking for the truth in most critical "hot topics" which can often be twisted by the world media.

MMN was established in California, USA, in October 2000 and is destined to become a major platform for serious media contributors and observers from around the globe.

MMN is not sponsored by anyone influential and does this intentionally so that we will not be 'forced' into one opinion or another.

Journalists, editors, writers, photographers, human rights activists, webmasters, poets, columnists, reporters, researchers, analysts, observers, columnists, content providers, media contributors, observers, social scientists and other professionals from around the globe are invited to join Media Monitors Network (MMN) to counter information warfare and fabricated propaganda in the world media and to promote the whole truth, fairness and accuracy in news reporting.

MMN is honored to be supported voluntarily by media contributors such as yourself and has received contributions and/or permissions from many reputable web-sites, editors, newspapers, web-masters to publish their hard earned and quality content on MMN web-site.

Media Monitors Network is destined to become a voluntary movement which will use all channels of communication and all other sources to pursue its mission.

Media Monitors Network would like to expose the truth about black sheeps, propagandists, or crooks disguised as 'journalists' in the noble profession of journalism, who are paid or backed by intelligence agencies, political parties, politicians, bureaucrats, the Official Mafia, or the Disinformation Mafia.

Media Monitors Network would like to set the record straight on important issues that have received slanted press coverage. It will encourage the Press to report the news fairly, accurately and objectively without resorting to bias or partisanship.

Media Monitors Network says accountability of the Press is necessary to reduce corruption, fraud and disinformation in many news media organizations. Many journalists and writers don't always get their stories right and many of them don't even seem to care. By advising them of their responsibility to the public, whom they claim to serve, Media Monitors Network will help to hold those members of the news media accountable for their misdeeds who write and publish unfair, biased, inaccurate, or cooked up news reports to serve their masters and their political, religious, business, or personal interests.

usa.mediamonitors.net...

new topics

top topics

join