It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA to Ban Electric Cigarettes on May 5th

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

FDA to Ban Electric Cigarettes on May 5th

reason.com

In an open letter to Zawalick, Joel Nitzkin of the American Association of Public Health Physicians says the pending FDA ban seems to be "based entirely on the undocumented assumption that electronic cigarettes may have the potential to attract additional teenagers to nicotine use and addiction." That concern seems to be fanciful: Godshall says "there is no evidence that e-cigarette products have been marketed to youth, nor is there evidence of youth use of e-cigarette products (most of which cost more than $100)." In any case, Nitzkin notes, the government can impose age restrictions with
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I can't believe they are going through with this. I just started smoking electronic cigarettes and haven't had a real cigarette in a week. I've smoked for 10 years and haven't felt better.

I was just trying to get my mother (30 plus year smoker) to order one and my girlfriend as well. It feels like they want us to just smoke the normals or the BIG Pharm approved patches and gum.

I can only imagine where this is going to go. Seems like more fun is ahead. This is coming after the FDA stalled and halted imports in the last few weeks. One company Smoking Everywhere is going to court over the $1,000,000+ seizure of their product. This is coming after the product has been on the market for almost 2 years, and just after a boost created by the recent tax increases seen everywhere.

For more information please visit:

www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

reason.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Also wanted to add.

To all those who use the products, try and order now... Get in those last minute orders.

Write your congressmen/women, write your local news agencies, write anyone. Just another right that's being taken away.

I honestly feel better now, then I have in the last 10 years.

This is quite possibly one of the biggest hypocritical moves made by the FDA in my recent memory. Cigarettes kill millions a year, but that's okay. Patches are okay (yet people smoke while using them). Gum is okay, but again doesn't work. Something that actually works, and is healthier in comparison is now illegal?

E cigarettes are something that can help those move away from the 1000s of chemicals found in cigarette smoke... Trust me, there's over 40+ carcinogens in Big Tobacco's product.

Yet, in my nicotine juice, there are four ingredients.

Another sad day.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Why smoke something without all the chemicals: Rat poison, crayons, glue, etc. (don't know them all, crayons paha)

They really came up with a safer alternative, but there going to ban it, thats almost like banning non alcholic beverages that taste the same as beer. (Note I said 'like')

I'm curious why they dont just tax the hell out of it, maybe its not a big seller? Figure they wouldn't get much out of it tax wise, so just ban it?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Also, for those conspiracy heads out there. This post from a fellow e-smoker and reporter is interesting to say the least. He state's that AC (Associated Content) rejected using the FDA story as its not news worthy.

www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The FDA just #ed up big time. The people will now finally see the true side of the FDA... No good criminals imho. They obviously accepted a bribe from the Tobacco companies on this one. Which bribe will they accept next? One can only speculate.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
The FDA just F up big time. The people will now finally see the true side of the FDA... No good criminals imho. They obviously accepted a bribe from the Tobacco companies on this one. Which bribe will they accept next? One can only speculate.

This also could be coming from the government who doesn't want to lose all that tax money if people quit smoking. Gotta help the children and all that nonsense. If they lost that to e-cigs then they would have to try and tax them to make up the difference. Although I'm sure they already have a few thousand new ways they can tax us if we all quit smoking.

I do agree the FDA is less than worthless, but the other motives for this could be more nefarious than a bribe from tobacco.

The whole issue of smoking has gotten out of hand, imo, but I can't change the brainwashing that's been done over the years.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Ok, nicotine is very addictive. Why not ban normal cigarettes (too)? And gum/inhalers/patches/tablets. This seems pretty weird to focus the struggle on something with potentially less side effects then existing alternatives.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This line from the article sums it up perfect.

"It is absurd for the FDA to even contemplate protecting the deadliest nicotine products (cigarettes) from market competition by the least hazardous nicotine products."

It's not hard to see where this push for a ban is coming from. Technically, if that's the case isn't the FDA almost sending Millions of Americans to their deaths, aka genocide.

This product is relatively new that 95 percent of smokers do not even know it exists. I guess they are trying to push it under the rug. If the electronic cigarette was known more, I can almost guarantee that 95% of smokers would switch over, and that's coming from me smoking for 10 years and a week of the e-cig.

So depressing....

Who wants to make the movie, " Who killed the Electric Cigarette."

[edit on 3-5-2009 by squidboy]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony

The FDA just F up big time. The people will now finally see the true side of the FDA... No good criminals imho. They obviously accepted a bribe from the Tobacco companies on this one. Which bribe will they accept next? One can only speculate.

This also could be coming from the government who doesn't want to lose all that tax money if people quit smoking. Gotta help the children and all that nonsense. If they lost that to e-cigs then they would have to try and tax them to make up the difference. Although I'm sure they already have a few thousand new ways they can tax us if we all quit smoking.

I do agree the FDA is less than worthless, but the other motives for this could be more nefarious than a bribe from tobacco.

The whole issue of smoking has gotten out of hand, imo, but I can't change the brainwashing that's been done over the years.

While I agree it is possible that the US government is behind this. I seriously doubt it. The government has bigger things to worry about than profits. To add to that, the government doesn't neccesarily care about profit either. If they want more money, they just print more money... They show no sign of caring about the mounting debt. IMO, they want the debt.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I always figured now i finally know for sure the FDA is the best agency that MONEY can BUY.

Give them enough money and you can buy what ever food or drug regulation you want .

All lobbyist from big business should be banned from giving , contributing serving or even going near a Senator Representative or a member of ANY regulatory agencies .

The current and past regulatory agencies seem to always out do themselves with a newer and improved way to give the upper hand to those who have financial interests in regulations rather than for the public good .

Any one remember the USDA sued a small meat packing plant that wanted to test every head of cattle they slaughtered for mad cow disease and the USDA sued because it would be unfair to the large meat packing plants and cost too much if all meat packing plants had to do it and give the smaller meatpacking plant in Kansas a unfair advantage in sales . (last I heard it was still in litigation before the news papers buried it )

Oh yes I can see how well the regulatory agencies are protecting our companies health err I mean protecting our health ha ha good joke .

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony

While I agree it is possible that the US government is behind this. I seriously doubt it. The government has bigger things to worry about than profits. To add to that, the government doesn't neccesarily care about profit either. If they want more money, they just print more money... They show no sign of caring about the mounting debt. IMO, they want the debt.

The Government (FDA) is not worried about profits. Big Tobacco is, Big Pharm, the Health insurance industries are. These industries need this product to go away.

How much do you think those three industries will loss with a safe alternative. Less Tobacco cigs sold, less profits for the Pharm companies treating those who are dying, so on so forth.

You don't think someone in the FDA was contacted by a Lobbyist?

You need to think about whose represented these days in Washington. Not the little guy.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Another May 5th bill being passed in quickly while everyone is concerned with the flu scare! The other concerns net neutrality being wiped away in a single sweep by the EA on that date!

I was personally considering purchasing a kit, and was waiting for personal testimony, wondering how easy it is to adjust to the difference of only "smoking" a few puffs. Here in Canada, this is not being banned, so we will still be able to purchase this.

Fight this measure!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Ok, nicotine is very addictive. Why not ban normal cigarettes (too)? And gum/inhalers/patches/tablets. This seems pretty weird to focus the struggle on something with potentially less side effects then existing alternatives.

Because then the tobacco companies would stop lining the pockets of all the politicians with the bribes they get. That is just speculation of course.

It is all about the almightly dollar, which as you all know is not so mighty right now.

Continue to raise taxes on the ones that are filled with all the added chemicals, and get rid of the one that might make smokers more healthy...

It is all about money. That is the sad truth. They do not actually care about the consumer, they care about the consumers wallet.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
Another May 5th bill being passed in quickly while everyone is concerned with the flu scare! The other concerns net neutrality being wiped away in a single sweep by the EA on that date!

I was personally considering purchasing a kit, and was waiting for personal testimony, wondering how easy it is to adjust to the difference of only "smoking" a few puffs. Here in Canada, this is not being banned, so we will still be able to purchase this.

Fight this measure!

Mystiq. I was a 10 year plus smoker. It took me a day to get used to the taste and smoking method used. 3 days after smoking with the device, I stopped smoking cigs (mind you during those three days it was only the first cig of the day cigs)....

It's honestly a better experience then smoking the normal cigarettes, no smell, no bad breath... I prefer it to smoking normal cigarettes. If you can still buy them, I would recommend doing it with all my heart.

I was hesitant at first, but after doing it, its the best thing I've done for myself in over a decade.

And unfortunately the idea of fighting such a measure is almost impossible. 90 + of our population was against the initial bailout last year, and that went through despite citizens flooding the phone lines of congress.

Right now, the e smoker population in the US is small, and this will honestly get killed before it could have made a major impact and saved lifes.

This measure will force law abiding people to try and import the devices, and the juice making them criminals. Criminals that just want a safe alternative to smoking.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by squidboy]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
They want us dead. That is all there is to it.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yes, thats why its being pushed through during this flu panic. It makes me wonder what other bills they're planning on pushing through around this date!

I actually asked my doctor about the e-smokes. Initially she asked what they were, but I told her, she must have heard about them and she told me immediately that if I could adjust to the switch, she highly recommended them as they save lives!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I read that article and in some of the comments after the story they had listed a petition site for the use of e-cigarettes. I'll post a link.

[url=http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/keep-life-saving-electronic-cigarettes-ava]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The FDA should be BANNED!!!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The FDA is a tool of commerce, nothing more.

They abandoned their mandate of serving the public long ago. Like... when they were first set up.

Had we been left exclusively to the machinations of the FDA, we'd all be glowing fleshy-headed mutants by now....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join