It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney reused the same elements for different movies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

The article suggests that this is a technique called "rotoscoping" which is used to "cut costs." Would Disney, which spends millions of dollars and several years to make each animated movie, really need to cut costs? The more likely possibility is that they are trying to send a consistent message across different generations. This has me convinced that Disney movies are more a component of culture creation than just a way to keep young kids occupied.

Scene it before: How Disney recycled its classic cartoons

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:16 PM on 21st April 2009

Recycling has only become fashionable in the past few decades but it seems that Disney has been doing it since the dark ages.

Researchers have revealed that scenes from much-loved cartoons such as Robin Hood and Winnie The Pooh were copied from the studio's earlier hits.

Disney has 'recycled' some of its backgrounds and animation sequences over and over again.

The technique is called rotoscoping and industry insiders say it is a legitimate method of cutting costs in movie-making.

The process was invented in 1915 and involved humans acting out scenes for animators to trace in order to make the cartoons more realistic.

Large parts of the 1973 film Robin Hood were taken from Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (1937), The Jungle Book (1967) and The Aristocats (1970).

Robin Hood's Maid Marian does the same dance that Snow White did for the dwarfs 36 years
earlier.

Meanwhile, Mowgli receives the same kiss from a dog in The Jungle Book as Arthur does in 1963's The Sword In The Stone.

And in the 1977 hit Winnie The Pooh, Christopher Robin climbs the same tree that Mowgli did a decade before.

One fan said: ‘Disney made one movie and they’ve been tracing it ever since.’

Watch a video of Disney's recycled hits here:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I never liked disney films (even though my daughter has a ton of them) but I have to say... shame on them for reusing the previously drawn movies later! Come up with some new material! Very good video, going to have to show that to my wife to prove Disney movies are bad. On another note.... the guy who originally drew the scenes that were copied should have been paid a whole lot more!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I dont think this is a form of conditioning. I just think it keeps a sort of nostalgic, although not blatantly obvious to the viewer, feel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And i see it as a legitimate time and money saver. If i am doing concept work and the client says, i like this character, but I want more of an __________ feel. Im not going to redraw the entire piece, im going to grab a piece of tracing paper and trace while adding or changing as I go along.

im sorry but id rather spend a few cents in materials and 25 minutes, rather then a few dollars in materials and 2 hours.

few dollars for 2 hours? go to michaels and check out "copic" and "prismacolor" markers. 7.99$ - 9.99$ each...EACH.

shrug ...... but I see nothing wrong with it.

alright, i watched the video...and I have to agree...that is messed up. lazy artists.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by epitaph.one]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Disney is not one of my favorites either. I am so tired of the old worn out prince charming crap they feed our daughters.

One comment...they finally have a black princess, but the poor dear just could not have herself a black prince.

I guess progress comes slow at Disney.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Seems to me the guy from utube has waaaaaay too much time on his hands!!

Sheesh! So what? Heck, even 'Steamboat Willie' (the 'talkie' introduction to Mickey) at the ship's wheel was just repetitive frames, recycled in a loop to make him dance.

There's no conspiracy...except, maybe, a conspiracy to make money.

Seems these 'examples' are all mostly from late 1950s to 1960s cartoons, anyway...

Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote, etc, etc, etc.....

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Which movie has a black princess? I haven't seen anything about that yet. Maybe they are trying to make interracial couples more mainstream eh? Nothing like getting them young!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I don't really think this is a conspiracy.

I mean, most books have the same elements. It doesn't really mean anything about their quality.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
i thought disney invented the cookie cutter...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
yeah you're a real bright one there detective youtuber.

here's your conspiracy times a billion...

go into any video game studio server and you'll find FBX motion designer files full of libraries of recorded motion-capture movements of people doing various things like running jumping laughing emoting...

and those same motions will be and have been used in many many video games, movies as main character movements, background stand-in characters...student project films.. commercials.. everything..
guess conveneince and cost efficiency will have to find another method of implementing themselves to avoid being labelled as brainwashing.

i understand the Disney-Illuminati- Plato's Cave connection and there is a great deal of substance to it all..

just don't buy into this asset-recycling as a central part of it.
the real conspiracy and the recycling could be intermingled..
as much as one has use for the other.. but are not co-dependent.

i'm an animator.
i know.

oh and "rotoscoping" ISN'T the practice of recycling assets... rotoscoping is the practice of tracing live action.
recycling those rotoscope films as reference.. or just keeping them around.. isn't the "term" for "recycling"... you're getting the line there bluirred.

rotoscope = tracing reference material....

asset recycling = re using old assets.

rotoscoping doesn't have to be tracing characters.. it can be .. say.. tracing frames of live action with a block-out-mask in order to blend live and CG footage properly.

-

[edit on 26-4-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This is a common practice in moviemaking, it is very expensive and time consuming to produce animated films especially the older, hand drawn ones. Back then you had to draw each cell individually, and there were millions of cells per film, so you can imagine how much round the clock labor went into it. Computer animation, from my limited experience doing it, is just as time consuming and frustrating.

I do agree though, Disney needs to cut out the political messages and make movies. I won't take my younger relatives to see them and I am very open minded about what they watch. I would apply that to MTV as well, that station is almost as agenda oriented as FOx or CNN.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I know Fred & Barney (The Flintstones) used to run past the same exact house and tree over and over again.
I think its very time consuming to that kind of art work, so I could understand why they cut corner's or use the same template.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

secretagent, does your aversion to Disney include "Enchanted"?

AND, does it also apply to Pixar products....such as "WALL-E"?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Everyone knows that wall-e uses the robot from the short circuit series! They just made him short...and boxy.... with the same head!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Ever read the Xanth series by Peirce Anthony? Every book has basically the exact same plot. And I mean exact plot.
Still, I enjoy the series regardless.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Wow!!
I would say it must have taken amazing willpower,to sit through all that Disney drivel,just to notice the similarities!

Well done that Youtuber,and i hope the therapy goes well!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

The visuals are interesting but the political messages and boring content have turned me off so much that I no longer will watch anything they produce. Pixar was sold a while ago, but the animation quality is superb (a friend was a computer tech there so I may be prejudiced
).

I never cared much for the movies even as a kid but they completely lost me when they rehashed the sick and exploitative Pocahontas myth for profit. Us Injuns don't like that! Irony, a company catering to children has a track record of hiring sex offenders to work in its parks and direct its movies, while scoring millions of dollars with a sick myth based around the molestation of a very young child. Pocahontas never existed, for those of you who are not familiar with this, but one of the girls she was based on was about 11 years old when Rolfe became involved with her.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Logan

Hey, I think they rode the same dinosaurs to work and at work, I just knew Hanna Barbera was up to no good!
Not to mention, neither Fred nor Wilma had a chin.....

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
Disney is not one of my favorites either. I am so tired of the old worn out prince charming crap they feed our daughters.

One comment...they finally have a black princess, but the poor dear just could not have herself a black prince.

I guess progress comes slow at Disney.

That is amongst the most idiotic of criticisms I have ever heard. Why should Disney have to submit to the will of the NAACP and so called "Black Bloggers"? First these individuals claimed that the black Princesses' name of "Maddy" was racist, because it was "Too Close" to the word "Mammy", which is a "Derogatory term for a Female House Slave". Then they complained that it took place in Louisiana, and now you and others complain that the "Prince" is simply "Not Black Enough". Seriously, get a life.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

She has a point. Positive black male archetypes who have dark skin and identifiably black features are not seen unless they are rappers or athletes which also is a form of sterotyping. Or they are acting ghetto.

Anytime you see a black male who is connected romantically to a leading female character they look or act white. Same with hispanic characters. I am offended by this and I do not belong to these ethnicities. I don't care for the NAACP aka the Black KKK but they are correct in demanding fair representation. Imagine spending your life bring judged against Flava Flav, Dennis Rodman and ODB and you can see why it is a sore spot.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
They have a brand new movie ready for release...The Princess and the Frog I believe is the name of it.

While I have no issue with interracial relationships I do hate that we STILL teach little girls that all they need is a man and they will live happily ever after. There are so many other themes that they could play off, but no, Disney is still thinking that girls need to be taught that it takes a man to complete them. A shame really.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join