It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 483
<< 480  481  482    484  485  486 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
European A/H1N1 flu infections exceed 10,000

news.xinhuanet.com...

A European health agency said on Friday that 641 new A/H1N1 flu cases were reported in European countries within the last 24 hours.

That is 641 in a 24 hour period. That is pretty concerning to me. I am wondering if I will cancel my flight plans to Europe this summer.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Pneumonia risk in relation to H1N1 novel flu and testing on ferrets:

"Individuals differ in the way they react to viruses. A virus that binds deep in the lung can trigger potentially fatal pneumonia if the person infected mounts a strong inflammation in response to it..

The last H1N1 pandemic in 1918 was notorious for causing such rapid, viral pneumonia, which can kill within hours. "The binding and replication of the pandemic H1N1 virus in the lower respiratory tract in ferrets is consistent with the viral pneumonia that is observed in humans," Fouchier told New Scientist.

The US group found also found binding in the intestines, explaining the unusual nausea and vomiting seen in some cases of the pandemic flu. Both teams concluded that the virus could adapt further to humans, which might make it more severe."

Journal reference: Science (DOI: 10.1126/science.1177238, DOI: 10.1126/science.1177127)
www.newscientist.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Have you seen all the ads on Yahoo, Google, etc.?

They make it sound like they've already got a vaccine for 19.95 plus s+h.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Fear mongering lieing media announce three deaths with swine flu New Zealand.

This after the coronor was oredering more autopsies than usual Why?

1. was a 90 year old man. Right; obvioulsy swine flu got him. Yeah right.
2. was a 42 year old man with medical conditions other than swine flu
3 another was a 14 or 19 year old girl with cerebal palsy.

The cunning spin is that swine flue took them out. Which is a blatant bald face lie.

Thank you and good evening.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Imago Dei

I dunno where your getting that info Imago Dei. Provide links please.

Three New Zealand deaths linked to swine flu
Source

New Zealand appears to have had its first swine flu deaths following confirmation today that three people who have died in the past week had the virus.

Chief Coroner Neil MacLean said a 19-year-old man died last Sunday in Hamilton and a 42-year-old man died on Thursday in Christchurch.

Judge MacLean said it was still unknown whether the Hamilton man had underlying medical conditions, but such conditions were apparent with the Christchurch case.

It was "strongly probable" that the H1N1 virus (swine flu) was a major factor in the deaths of both men.

Meanwhile, Capital and Coast District Health Board said a young girl with underlying medical conditions died this morning in Wellington Hospital. She had earlier tested positive to swine flu.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Teen not diagnosed with swine flu until after death
Source

A Hamilton teenager with swine flu died at home without being diagnosed with the illness.

He was one three New Zealanders to have died in the past week with swine flu more than likely to have been the cause, the Ministry of Health confirmed today.

Zachary Wilson, 19, had been ill for three or four days but had not been to hospital before he died last Sunday, said Waikato District Health Board medical officer of health Dr Felicity Dumble.

"What's become apparent with this situation is how quickly this can develop, and somebody can present with what looks like a common cold that may progress to more like influenza and then it can rapidly become something very serious."

[edit on 4/7/09 by antmar]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Harry Potters 'Ron Weasley' Has Swine Flu

Any Potter fans .. any Londeners .. anyone just curious ...
He had to stop filming for a few days because of the swine flu.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I ask the forum moderator to please not shut down this thread due to comments made recently. It is clear that people have strong opinions about the swine flu, and that they are not all in agreement. But some of us come here to see 'news and updates' and even though we also have strong opinions, we would be extremely disappointed to see this thread closed. Thank you!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

The swine flu threads on ATS died a long time ago; the updates are sporadic, to say the least.

I had to post my earlier rant, because people like [Imago Dei] are complete idiots. They spread complacency and try to say the media is making it more than it is. Let's see him/her still saying that when he's on his cytokine storm, coughing up blood and there aren't any hospital beds left, because twits like him have spread their infection due to them thinking it's 'mild'.

If you want real-time intel, then just visit flu tracker.

People like [Imago Dei] are just completely oblivious to events around them, and should not even be here on ATS.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I don't think this thread should be locked until we at least make it through phase II.

Sporadic as the articles that make it out here and there.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by winotka]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by antmar
reply to post by Imago Dei

I dunno where your getting that info Imago Dei. Provide links please.

Three New Zealand deaths linked to swine flu
Source

New Zealand appears to have had its first swine flu deaths following confirmation today that three people who have died in the past week had the virus.

Chief Coroner Neil MacLean said a 19-year-old man died last Sunday in Hamilton and a 42-year-old man died on Thursday in Christchurch.

Judge MacLean said it was still unknown whether the Hamilton man had underlying medical conditions, but such conditions were apparent with the Christchurch case.

It was "strongly probable" that the H1N1 virus (swine flu) was a major factor in the deaths of both men.

Meanwhile, Capital and Coast District Health Board said a young girl with underlying medical conditions died this morning in Wellington Hospital. She had earlier tested positive to swine flu.

Teen not diagnosed with swine flu until after death
Source

A Hamilton teenager with swine flu died at home without being diagnosed with the illness.

He was one three New Zealanders to have died in the past week with swine flu more than likely to have been the cause, the Ministry of Health confirmed today.

Zachary Wilson, 19, had been ill for three or four days but had not been to hospital before he died last Sunday, said Waikato District Health Board medical officer of health Dr Felicity Dumble.

"What's become apparent with this situation is how quickly this can develop, and somebody can present with what looks like a common cold that may progress to more like influenza and then it can rapidly become something very serious."

[edit on 4/7/09 by antmar]

I got it from the TV, I cant post that sorry.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety

People like [Imago Dei] are just completely oblivious to events around them, and should not even be here on ATS.

People who's replies consist of calling people idiots, "dumb ass MF" and posting cat pics as entire posts should certainly not be here. If you have valid arguments offer them respectfully.. otherwise you're just pissing against a wall and underminding your own credibility.

I believe the pigflu in Australia has been relatively mild so far. Everyone who I've heared die of it have turned out to have cancer or some other serious illness that has impaired their immune systems.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by riley]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Since when had it died?

I have come to this thread from the beginning and will continue to do so, Those who try and derail this thread, through thier own self petty interests do not bother me what so ever.

Obviously thier posts bother you, since you respond tothem. Ignoe them, usually they go away.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
check out this link to the projected spread of the viruse.
actuary-info.blogspot.com...
Global Infection
If no adequate rigid measures will be taken within the next months, the future of humanity could be serious at stake:

Unrestrained exponential growth on basis of the the current growth-path, will lead to a more or less complete global infection by the end of January 2010.

By then ruffly 36 million people worldwide, will have died. If the mortality rate doesn't stabilize (as it currently appears) at 0.45% of the infected people, the effects could be worse.

As the famous 'Wheat and chessboard problem' already illustrated, exponential growth is a dangerous underestimated killer. It's just like a tsunami: when you notice it, it's too late to act.

Let's trust governments are not underestimating this Swine virus threat.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by murfdog

As I've mentioned before, buried in the aggregate numbers are some pretty scary specifics. While the current aggregate mortality number for the US is 0.5%, 170 deaths out of 33, 902 cases, if you look at specific states, the numbers are quite different.

The unaggregated numbers are:

Arizona: 1.31%, 10 out of 761
California: 1.06%, 21 out of 1985
Michigan: 1.45%, 7 out of 484
North Carolina: 0.78%, 2 out of 255
New Jersey: 0.78%, 9 out of 1159
New York: 1.76%, 44 out of 2499
Oregon: 1.09%, 4 out of 366
Utah: 1.07%, 10 out of 920

Aggregate mortality for the "hot" zones is 1.27%.

Am I crazy or is there a pattern developing here?

The true mortality of this seems to be at least 1% and rising.

If we assume a 30% infection load in the US, pretty conservative, I think, then at .78% mortality, the death load will be 877,500 US inhabitants: 375 millionX30%x.78%.

If we assume a 45% infection load at 1.76%, the death toll goes to 2.97 million people. 375 millionX45%X1.76%.

And that's just the in US using the summertime mortality rates. It looks like, as is, there will be somewhere between approximately 900,000 to nearly 3 million dead, without factoring in the multiplying effects of a bad economy and a probable collapse/overwhelming of the medical establishment.

To those who keep thinking and saying this ain't much of a much, repeat it as you bury your dead, it might comfort you.

Me, I'm investing in coffin makers.

Pardon me while I go throw up: those numbers make me sick to my stomach.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by murfdog

Assuming global infection by 2010 at the aggregate mortality for the hot zones of the US, 1.27% the global mortality will be in the neighborhood of:

76,200,000 dead.

If the high end mortality is used, 1.76% the toll becomes:

105,600,000 dead.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that the mortality rate is going to be a lot higher than the 0.43% forecast.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Your spot on, apacheman. When looking at the numbers and the compounding affect of the spread of this virus the true story becomes quite scary. I’m afraid that the bodies will begin to pile up this fall and by them it will be to late. In fact it may be to late already to stop the inevitable.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Just be aware of the exponential curve in T-minus 6-8 weeks:

Just remember to never, ever touch your face if you go out. When you get back home, wash your hands, arms and face with disinfectant and change clothes. It spreads via mucus transmission, so rubbing your eyes, biting your nails, etc will increase exposure.

Also, avoid people who cough or sneeze.

Avoid people like the plague...literally.

top topics

<< 480  481  482    484  485  486 >>

join