It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
reply to post by infinite

I was worrying about Africa too. I thought about it when I looked at the google map. Africa is worse than Mexico in regards to population, healthcare, and poverty.

this has reached all of north america, parts of europe, new zealand.
its only a matter of time before it reaches someone in africa, id guess.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by elitegamer23]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

I know!!! Why won't the WHO raise the Phase from 3 to a 4. Stop the spread you idiots!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

US declares public health emergency for swine flu

WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. is declaring a public health emergency to deal with the emerging new swine flu.

The precautionary step doesn't signal a greater threat to Americans. But it allows the federal and state governments easier access to flu tests and medications.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napilotano says roughly 12 million doses of the drug Tamiflu are being released from a federal stockpile so that states can get it if needed.

Napilotano said at a White House news conference Sunday that the emergency declaration is standard operating procedure—one was recently declare for the inauguration and for flooding.

www.breitbart.com...

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Terrapop]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Canada has been hit too now; four confirmed cases in Nova Scotia.

www.cbc.ca...

and two confirmed in B.C. (the article below says they're still not sure about the cases in B.C., but CBC News just confirmed it).

www.theglobeandmail.com...

[edit on 26-4-2009 by k_sin]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I know!!! Why won't the WHO raise the Phase from 3 to a 4. Stop the spread you idiots!!!!!!!

Now, now--why do that when we can wait for it to reach an exciting fever pitch? The only sensible thing to do is to sit back and wait until a few thousand are confirmed infected in the U.S. (the only place that matters, really), though even thousands are really too few for my comfort.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The reason why they haven't raised the alert level is because there have been very little transmittance outside of people that directly visited Mexico. So at the moment they don't know how well it transmits. One of the big tell tail signs is when someone who hasn't been in sustained direct contact (aka living with someone that went to mexio) with someone who got infected in Mexio get the virus then you'll know that you should be worried.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
What are the possibilities of recombination/reasortment with H5N1?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone looked into what would happen if this H1N1 was to mix with the highly fatal H5N1? Would H5N1 be able to aquire the polymorphisms that allow H1N1 to spread so efficiently?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Louther

some guy on twitter updating on the issue says this -

"@roxyhumz Some US people who were infected have not been to Mexico and the family of school children in NYC are sick as well."

twitter source

Obviously this would need to be confirmed but it's implying that what you said to be on the look out for is actually occuring.

Still the mystery of why no-one outside of Mexico is dying though....how many of you think that once infection rates rise outside of Mexico we might begin to see fatalities?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

April 26 (Bloomberg) -- Russia suspended imports of all meat from Mexico and the U.S. states of Texas, California and Kansas shipped after April 21 on concern about the spread of swine flu, the country’s veterinary watchdog said.

The suspension also affects pork from Guatemala, Honduras, the Dominican Republic, Columbia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Nicaragua, Panama, Salvador, and the U.S. states of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Florida, the watchdog added in a statement on its Web site today.

Swine flu, known as the H1N1 virus, originated in Mexico where it has been linked to as many as 81 deaths.

Travelers arriving in Russia from the above areas will have meat products confiscated, the watchdog, known as Rosselkhoznadzor in Russian, said in the statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.bloomberg.com...
pid=20601087&sid=ag2C9oa6f4Ck&refer=worldwide

How ridiculous. Obviously eating pork doesn't cause it.
They're probably just capitalizing on this in order to further damage us economically....thats Russia for ya!

Personally, I'm having a BLT for lunch.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
Still the mystery of why no-one outside of Mexico is dying though....how many of you think that once infection rates rise outside of Mexico we might begin to see fatalities?

The question of when the disease began to manifest is an important one, and it would seem impossible to obtain an answer. Authorities in Mexico were only aware of the situation when a significant number of people began to show symptoms. How long the disease was actually in the country is unknown. It may have taken longer than we imagine to first manifest and then pick up enough steam to infect more than a few individuals. The faster rate of infection and higher mortality rate we currently see may be the result of a longer period of viral development within the region. If so, that might explain why we're seeing a daily increase in victims outside of Mexico but, so far, no fatalities. It might very well change for the rest of the world over the next week or so.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DEM0N

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I talked to my friend who is a chemist, she highly doubts it was manufactured, and says the combination is not surprising at all, and easily could have occurred naturally considering their environment.

A while back everyone was anticipating the eruption of Yellowstone, why do you guys feed off this stuff,

Stop feeding into the drama, do you want it to happen?

Don't supply it with energy.

Remember that old saying?

" don't go borrowing trouble."

You claim you have a friend who is a chemist who tells you it isn't this and it isn't that. Even if this were true, your friend is an idiot. Tell her I said she needs to go back to school.

You are being ignorant, haven't you been following this thread? page by page? 200+ dead and rising.

I claim nothing," I stated a fact."

And don't call me ignorant.

Deaths in the US?

Or

World wide?

Always some people die from the flu

As of Saturday night the numbers are these: Up to 81 people have been killed in Mexico by a new flu virus. More than 1,300 people in Mexico are said to be infected by the new strain, a mixture of swine, human and avian flu viruses.

All of the deaths so far have been in Mexico, but the flu is spreading in the United States. Eleven cases have been confirmed in California, Kansas and Texas, and eight schoolchildren in New York City caught a type A influenza virus.

arkansasmatters.com...

Don't be a drama king/queen.

Where is this 200 number coming from?

BTW your name suits you.

[edit on 123030p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrapop

US declares public health emergency for swine flu

WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. is declaring a public health emergency to deal with the emerging new swine flu.

The precautionary step doesn't signal a greater threat to Americans. But it allows the federal and state governments easier access to flu tests and medications.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napilotano says roughly 12 million doses of the drug Tamiflu are being released from a federal stockpile so that states can get it if needed.

Napilotano said at a White House news conference Sunday that the emergency declaration is standard operating procedure—one was recently declare for the inauguration and for flooding.

www.breitbart.com...

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Terrapop]

Tamiflu has been proven to be worthless in past flu seasons.

Tamiflu is now offically worthless

Mutant Strain of Influenza Found
Tamiflu Ineffective Against this Drug-Resistant Form of Flu Virus

Tamiflu is almost completely ineffective

What makes Janet think Tamiflu is going to fare any better?
Do TPTB really think Tamiflu will make any difference or is this just to keep the sheeple calm?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Numb2itall

Man I live in Northern CA, in a small town (Bishop) but this place is a Massive tourist trap this weekend because it was Fishing season opening so there are SOOOOO many people here form SoCal. We go from a 5000 population to a 22k+ in a weekend its effing crazy and it pisses me off to even have to worry about this sh** My dad has MS and I am 20 damn near 21 and my little brother is 18 so ... This is just dandy.

link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke
How ridiculous. Obviously eating pork doesn't cause it.
They're probably just capitalizing on this in order to further damage us economically....thats Russia for ya!

Personally, I'm having a BLT for lunch.

I thought that rumor had been put to bed--surely any government is well aware that pork is not an issue. I don't think you're far off the mark about an economic impetus.

link   
Death toll at 83, but doctors and local media in Mexico City are suggesting the official death toll is well over 200.

WHO are reported to have claimed the virus may mutate into a much dangerous pathogen now it has reached the global arena.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by gman55

Yes it is known that the flu virus will swap genes with anther flu virus when they share a host. It is possible for the bird flu to become easier to transmit though it may at the same time become less lethal.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
if this has already been posted please ignore,
I just find this to be a troubling coincidence.

www.dbtechno.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

A Dr in this email sent to the BBC says the virus began to show about 3 weeks ago and since then 3-4 are dying daily. I googled how many hospitals there were in Mexico and there are 2, 351. I reckon the infection rate /death toll are ALOT higher than what's getting reported given people are saying reports are coming suggesting it's pretty much popping up all over Mexico

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I have a question? Is it possible that this virus infected people sooner than reported. I live in a rural eastern Ohio village, population 4,000. I work in a city nearby with a popultion 13,000. I am a hairstylist and have known
of dozens of people that have had a flu with respiratory problems after starting in March to date. Including me and my fourteen yr. old. Some had to be admitted to the hospital.
Since we are not in a major city is it possible this was overlooked and not reported?
Witch

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Canada confirms 4 swine flu cases among students
OK let's do another.

Chief Public Health officer Dr. Robert Strang says Sunday four students from King's-Edgehill School in Nova Scotia ranging in age from 12 to 17 or 18 are recovering.

All of them had what he describes as "very mild" cases of the flu.

www.google.com...

All of them had what he describes as "very mild" cases of the flu.

Once again the word, mild,

Excuse me for looking for a silver lining.

carry on

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join