It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China puts naval might on display

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

China puts naval might on display

news.bbc.co.uk

China is staging a military parade to celebrate its navy's 60th anniversary - and show the world its latest warships.

A least one of the country's nuclear-powered submarines is on display at the naval parade, being held in the port city of Qingdao.

Twenty-one foreign naval vessels from 14 countries are also taking part, including the US, France and Russia.

Military analysts say the event will allow the rest of the world to see how China has developed its naval forces.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
There's been allot of talk lately here on ATS of China becoming more aggressive militarily.

I felt that this was in line with that.

What I find interesting is the chart further down comparing China's navy to that of the US.

They may only have one aircraft carrier, but the rest of their navy is quite impressive.

Worth a gander.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Not sure if it's an aggressive move, more than likely just showing the rest of the world it is now on equal footing in terms of technology and fleet.
The UK, America and Europe used to do this sort of thing, and still do to some extent. In 2005 I was invited to view exercises in the English Channel with the navy as I was considering joining as an officer. They invited all sorts of dignitaries and foreign officials to come along, so It's nothing the rest of the world don't do themselves!

It's probably also an oppostunity to open channels for defence sales to the rest of the world!

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Are we entirely sure this isn't a con? Like when the Russians put their air power on display by sending the planes around in a circuit.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
This appears to be a Global Ommpahpah Parade.
So, ultimately, just "who" are the countries involved trying to impress or scare?

Peace...

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
[edit on 23-4-2009 by Thebudweiserstuntman]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

They may only have one aircraft carrier, but the rest of their navy is quite impressive.

It was to my knowledge that China has no aircraft carrier. They want one very bad. So bad they have been shopping and stealing technology for years. They did get their hands on a decommissioned carrier.

Started with the Taiwan Invasaion Scare back in the mid-90s. China played the cat-and-mouse game US and Russia always did to each other. Like Russia sending aircraft into Alaskan airspace to see how US would respond.

In the mid 90s, China performed the same strategy by scaring the world of invading Taiwan. They wanted to see how US and other Allies would respond. They knew US would respond first and with the most hardware.

Chinese high brass military leaders guessed US would send 3 carrier groups. But Chinese was caught off-guard from US's actual response. US sent in 6 carrier groups.

If you read about Chinese defense habits since the Taiwan Invasion Scare, you would notice a pattern. China has been purchasing technology and hardware to counter US carrier groups -- anti-ship missiles, MIGs with carrier landing capability, carrier building technology, and more. Heck, just recent, rumors in the military say China will use ballistic missile technology as an anti-carrier missile.

Check out this site:

Sino Defence

This site has a wealth of knowledge on Chinese military.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
According to a UK Naval guy, he was "impressed and slightly envious" of some of the Chinese capability.
Yeah... whatever...

I'm not saying China is backwards technologically, but I can't see them being as far ahead as the US/UK as we've been simply been doing this longer.

I still think that little stunt the Chinese pulled last year by surfacing in the middle of a US carrier group was not done as stealthily as they think, and the US knew they were there all the time, letting them pass to let them think they could do it.

Are we really meant to think our intel on this stuff is that poor? Nah...

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

Funny that the UK navy would be impressed because:

The Royal Navy can no longer fight a major war because of years of under­funding and cutbacks, a leaked Whitehall report has revealed.

Royal Navy Would Struggle to Fight a War

How do you think our clapped out navy would compare against Chinese developments... They'd be sinking before the smoke cleared from the first volley.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by purehughness

Even if they are Chinese slap-dash jobs (Like all those tractors they made in Russia to meet the quotas. Not many worked) they'd make mincemeat of our out-dated tubs.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
What I find interesting is the chart further down comparing China's navy to that of the US.

No offense intended but whats the impressive stuff?

I saw some frigates, a few helicopters, a few jets, no carriers and some flares being dropped.

These numbers may appear strong but when a navy is out in the deep blue, They'll need air cover. unless of course this force is only intended for shore defense?

Good looking ships though IMO

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Maybe we should just let our Navy rust? Because really, aren't they just coming up with more and more inventive ways to kill people? Boo

Trouble is, China is fast emerging as the dominant global power, being handed the mantle from the USA, which itself has become thin like butter spread over too many of your crumpets!

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Perhaps they won't pick a fight with us.
...Although, if we don't have arms, then they wouldn't need to. Of course, I'm not advocating the use of weaponry...but people are going to take advantage of disarmed countries, unless there is one mass effort at disarmament.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by purehughness
China is fast emerging as the dominant global power, being handed the mantle from the USA, which itself has become thin like butter spread over too many of your crumpets!

There is a pretty good debate going on right now regarding whether that's really true or not in our very own debate forum. It's very interesting and educational.
I think it's worth a look it may dispel some of the Misperceptions

"The United States Has Run It's Course. It Is Time For Another Country To Step Up And Be The World Leader"

[edit on 23-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
@SLAYER69..

Thanks man! Just the sort of debate I've been itching to look at for a while. Hopefully I'll pick up some good info there.
Good call.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Okay, I do feel that the world needs new management, but not from China. Until they get their human rights in order, I'll have none of it.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
For some reason some of you seem to think I was stating a side of an argument with this post... I'm not.

I only posted this because I've seen a recent topic line emerge regarding China and their navy becoming aggressive.

I'm not saying I like, nor dislike, agree with, nor disagree with anything related to the topic. I simply posted the news article.

In regards to my comment regarding China's navy being impressive, it is simply an observation from the standpoint that not many countries these days own such a fleet.

I just dropped the article off, I'm not getting involved in the argument.

China isn't my motivated area of political discussion.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by johnsky]

top topics

join