It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse Discrimination Case Could Transform Hiring Procedures Nationwide

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Reverse Discrimination Case Could Transform Hiring Procedures Nationwide

www.foxnews.com

This week, the Supreme Court will consider the reverse discrimination claim of Marcarelli and a group of white firefighters. They all passed a promotion exam, but the city threw out the test because no blacks would have been promoted, saying the exam had a "disparate impact" on minorities likely to violate the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
My favorite part of the article

"Do minorities and women still need legal protection from discrimination, or do the monumental civil rights laws that created a more equal nation now cause more harm than good?"

*looks at President*

if a minority cannot pass a test to be promoted, that is their problem. the same thing I would say if it was a white person or anyone else. I am sick of people thinking they are entitled to something just because they think they deserve it.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

MBF

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian1

if a minority cannot pass a test to be promoted, that is their problem. the same thing I would say if it was a white person or anyone else. I am sick of people thinking they are entitled to something just because they think they deserve it.

I have been fighting against a drug dealer that has a government job that is black for years. I keep being told "off the record" many times that he will not be fired because they need a black person in that position. Is this fair?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MBF

I have been fighting against a drug dealer that has a government job that is black for years. I keep being told "off the record" many times that he will not be fired because they need a black person in that position. Is this fair?

no it isnt, what you just listed is racism and you could sue for discrimination possibly.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by Russian1]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
My philosophy on this is, that well simply, The best person suitable for the job, should well get the job.

To make me look not racist i'll put it like this.

Say there are three black people and one white guy, they all apply for the job except the white guy. All three black people are denied the job after passing the test, because there black and they need a white person because their a minority. Would this be more of an outrage?

I would much rather have the most qualified most dedicated most courageous person fighting the fire in my house, then well (not to be racist) a minority that only got the job because he was a minority.

Survival of the fittest. You cannot alter this without destroying nearly everything!

I mean would you hire a president just because he was a minority? Would you hire someone to build your house not because they were qualified but because they didn't know how to you had to because well their a minority.

It all sounds racist, but if there was a smarter more qualified person on the fire dept, and he got the job, it would be ok! He worked hard and got it, but there is an absence of them, ergo hire the most qualified.

Ugh, i'm sick of being called racist.......just sick of it. I'm born white, and I feel like I am a bad person of it, I get told my ancestors owned and mistreated slaves, (Which personally none of my ancestors did) I get told I can get do anything I want because cops won't question a white guy, (I've been arrested by guess what a white police officer, they don't care) I get told many more things, that just aren't true, but what if my ancestors did have slaves, what would that change about me, would that make me a black killer and hater? Really? I probably still would do what I do now, be scared freakin shi000less of the gov't.

This whole sensitize america movement, is the worst thing ever. It only engages racism, limits nearly everything we say, because it might maybe possibly be construed as a racist to a certain ethnic group if they might take it offensively then your ass is sued and jailed!

Honestly, I don't like black people.......or asian people.....white people.....indians........arabs. and the real gov't naughty word, terrorists!!

What happened to America. Something will come out of this, and I have a feeling noone will like it.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Why is it called "Reverse" Discrimination.

That to me implies discrimination is a one way road!!

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Russian1

There is no such thing as "reverse discrimination." There is only discrimination. Only a fanny-backwards society would conjure up a term such as "reverse discrimination." Not laughable. I am saddened.

MBF

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian1

no it isnt, what you just listed is racism and you could sue for discrimination possibly.

Well, my lawyers told me that what was done to me was obvious and was wrong, but they were the government and they can do any damn thing they want to and there is nothing you can do about it. Fighting this crap and other legal matters that are the result of this problem has broke me.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez

There is no such thing as "reverse discrimination." There is only discrimination. Only a fanny-backwards society would conjure up a term such as "reverse discrimination." Not laughable. I am saddened.
I can't help but point out the irony in this statement, on multiple levels.

I find it funny that a term pertaining to political incorrectness has to be made politically correct.

"There is only discrimination" suggests we live in a world where discrimination is equalized. Ask those who have been on the recieving end of discrimination and surely they will tell you; no, it has not been equal. The statement is contradictory, an oxymoron.

Discrimination in the racial sense has always been about a majority against a minority, to the point where the opposite situation doesn't make sense. This is why the meaning of "reverse discrimination" is immediately apparent, and therefore justified. You understand intuitively what it is intended to convey. The term has actual value.

It seems that "there is only discrimination" may actually attempt to sidestep the underlying issue; is reverse discrimination justice or hypocrisy?

[edit on 18-4-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The end of 'affirmative action' is long overdue. The glass ceiling has been broken: we have a black president. Hopefully, the SCOTUS will hear this case, and some changes will be made.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Ok let's talk about discrimination. The prison population is mostly black (39.5%) when only 12.8% of US population is black. The other leading prison population is white (34.6%) and whites are 80% of the US population. And let's not forget the hispanics, which they make 20.2% of the US prison population when they only make 14.4% of the total US population.
Source of prison demographics
Source of US population by race

And this is even worse with the death row numbers. Why is that? More poverty leading to crime? Racists cops? The ``gangbanger`` culture promoted by the mainstream medias?

You don't want racism? Raise the standard of living of poor people so they become educated and they understand that racism is retarded. So in future generations, racism will be gone. But no, we better give money to the banks! By the trillions!

[edit on 18-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
You know, i was kinda under the impression, being the melting poot of the world, mixed races adn all, this was a thing of the past...white/black. OF course, yuor going ot have yuor neighborghood archie hbunker, and groups sf skinheads and KKK people, but thats not the majority of the population. For congress above all, to even use the pjrase in a legal matter to make a law, race, discrimination is so 1960's..
My point is, it shoundt be amtter of skin color anymore. Someone should be ppromoted or given a position based on knowledge and performance, not skin color. How primitive we still are and think...sad isnt it?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

"Discrimination in the racial sense has always been about a majority against a minority, to the point where the opposite situation doesn't make sense. This is why the meaning of "reverse discrimination" is immediately apparent, and therefore justified. You understand intuitively what it is intended to convey. The term has actual value.

It seems that "there is only discrimination" may actually attempt to sidestep the underlying issue; is reverse discrimination justice or hypocrisy?"

I disagree. Racism and xenophobia does not require a majority and a minority, it requires at least 2 people. To say the discrimination is "reversed" is imply that discrimination has passed and now it is just no fair. I say hooey.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Before the civil rights act was enabled, many given the choice, even if qualified would not hire, promote or employ blacks, thank God for that Act, lets get real about this, many of you work in places where whites or non minorities either dominate the upper echelons (CEO and that class, directors etc) in full force while certain departments might be racially mixed or dominated, I assure you that institutionalized racism still exists and is in full effect, the good ol boy network is hard at work to keep blacks and other minorities out of their companies or sensitive areas especially in smaller private sector companies, how many of you work in real corporate environments or can take 15 minutes of your day to poll around the executive or managerial offices then put some numbers together, what color are the top say 5 bosses ? I am counting CEO and 5 levels down or lateral.

I bet you minorities for whatever reasons are lacking and sorely underrepresented in power positions and as we know it is not always the best person that gets the job and this goes either way, because I for a fact know that the great percentage of people that I work with and are not a minority have only gotten the job for some other reason and it was not because they were either a brainiac or Einstein, companies as we all should use our common sense almost never hire based upon the most qualified, the most education or credentials, while certainly that is a prerequisite, it is generally a mix of things and it has been this way ever since I can remember?

I will say this I cannot stand working with dumb or incompetent individuals irregardless of color, I have many stories to tell of people that get jobs they are no where qualified for except a friend or family member assisted them or a college degree from a big name university somehow spoke intelligence and then when they get a position the act like you know phenomenon kicks in and secretive on the job training is king with those people, where you play the game to soak up as much from coworkers as you can and never let on you are clueless, yes i have to say I have seen many of these types of people that generally by their pedigree, college degree and accomplishments that on many instances I have observed on numerous jobs, where in the back of your mind your always going, who hired this idiot? they must have been one of those fully qualified applicants that thought the most qualified should always get the job irregardless of any other attributes like the most important, common sense and all around mental ability.

I think a lot of people that think they were not hired because of discrimination are in denial, they probably were not as qualified as they thought in the first place and use this excuse as the one and only copout, sheesh!

[edit on 19-4-2009 by phinubian]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

I appreciate your input and understand and observe what you mean by social networking and its effect on the job market, but this does not in any way, shape or fashion justify race based hiring preferences. Two wrongs do not make a right.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I

Discrimination in the racial sense has always been about a majority against a minority, to the point where the opposite situation doesn't make sense. This is why the meaning of "reverse discrimination" is immediately apparent, and therefore justified. You understand intuitively what it is intended to convey. The term has actual value.

I would fundamentally disagree. The case with the firefighters is a clear case of discrimination, not "reverse-discrimination", which is a pseudo-term that doesn't even make any sense.

In this case, the firefighters who passed the test were discriminated against because they were white.

The idea of "reverse-discrimination" implies that white people cannot be discriminated against, because they are the "discriminators" to begin with. This is not only offensive, but completely moronic. Discrimination is not defined as something white people do to black people, its simply prejudice from one group to another based on that group's differences.

By using terms such as "reverse-discrimination" or "reverse-racism", we are creating a double standard for whites by suggesting that other "races" of people are not capable of being racist or discriminatory.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

You don't want racism? Raise the standard of living of poor people so they become educated and they understand that racism is retarded. So in future generations, racism will be gone. But no, we better give money to the banks! By the trillions!

[edit on 18-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

Do you even realize what you just said ?

Racism is not a problem that is soley confined to the poor class, it knows no economical bounds, there are racists in every single economical class.

This is America you don't have to have money to get a basic education, grammer and high school are free. You can attend college with the help of scholarships, grants, and student loans. While it's true that lower income people may have to work a little harder to obtain a higher education, it is not impossible.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I hope they find in favor of the firefighters that started the case, anything else would be a disservice to them and also to the minority firefighters.

If these men passed the test then they are the most qualified for the job and they are the ones who should be promoted plain and simple. A job should go to the most qualified applicant, not to a skin color.

Another thing is the fact that these are firefighters that we are talking about, they hold peoples lives in their hands. Lives may be put at risk and maybe lost if these decisions are based on a persons race and not their qualifications.

If they allow the decision to throw the tests away and deny the promotions to the qualified applicants then the discrimination would be against all parties concerned. They would be discriminating against the ones who passed the test by denying them the promotions that they qualify for simply because of their race. They would be discriminating against the minorities that didn't pass because by throwing away the test and saying they were not fair tests (when they were all given the same study material and same amount of time) they would in essence be saying that they were not intelligent enough to pass the tests simply because of their race.

By finding in favor of the firefighters that started the case no one is discriminated against, the qualified recieve the promotion and the under qualified don't.

We have minorities that a extremely wealthy, have high position jobs in bussiness, as well as many minority politicians, as well as a minority president. I think that the minorities are doing just fine now, it's simply a matter of putting forth the effort and hard work that is needed.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez

Agreed.. the term is actually racist in itself as it implies whites are racist by default and everyone else are potentialy their victims.

[edit on 19-4-2009 by riley]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join