It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA Found Improperly Spying on Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

NSA Found Improperly Spying on Americans

www.foxnews.com

The National Security Agency intercepted Americans' e-mails and phone calls in recent months on a scale that went beyond limits set by Congress last year, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

The problems were discovered during a review of the intelligence activities, the Justice Department said in a statement Wednesday night, and said they had been resolved.

Citing unnamed intelligence officials, the Times said the NSA had engaged in "'over-collection' of domestic communications.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Officials Say U.S. Wiretaps Exceeded Law
www.aclu.org
www.washingtonpost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
AT&T Whistleblower, Secret NSA Spying
ABC: NSA agents admit spying on Americans' private calls
The World-Wide Web of Surveillance of Your Online/Offline Activities
NSA spying on U.S. citizens prior to 9-11 or current administration (if old, please move or delete)

[edit on 16-4-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
So, my question to you other ATS'ers is whether this is something new or old, in your eyes? I'm asking for your opinion, because I already know the answer to this question. In my book, this is nothing new whatsoever. It all depends on which puppet-master is pulling the puppet strings after their puppet strings are pulled, if you ask me.

To some, this comes as a big mistake, to others it's yet another cover-up. This is exactly the kind of thing that most people here on ATS are mad as Hell about in that it's a continuing series of "mistakes" that are truly just people with agendas getting away with whatever they can, and then being found out later.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-4-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I don't think it is anything new. Privacy is almost non-existant now and the Patriot Act and the like have done to prove that. "Illegal" wire-tapping and "Illegal" spying... anything like that. Hell they make the laws, they decide what's legal. They are above it as far as they are concerned.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

Of course they think they are. I can see this is like a revolving door, the issue keeps coming back up, over, and over, and over. The only difference really and truly, is who's the doorman.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I get why they are doing it to americans, but why are they doing it overseas, against people who have nothing to do with your country, and thats putting it mild.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
I get why they are doing it to americans, but why are they doing it overseas, against people who have nothing to do with your country, and thats putting it mild.

I'm thinking here that you're not an American citizen. The N.S.A. is supposed to monitor traffic outside the U.S., coming into the United States of America.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Apparently this was a duplicated thread topic (or maybe it's different enough to merit its own life) but here it is...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's my input from there, in case anyone is interested:

I have a perspective on NSA that may be a bit different.

First of all, targeting for foreign intelligence collection is not 'random', but those who engage in it may not have anything to do with the reason it is collected or sought.

When the actual humans get involved, they will identify those signals they shouldn't be listening to. Many years ago, the collection would immediately be stopped and the data destroyed. Furthermore, measures were taken to ensure that that source of information was never targeted again.

That was over 20 years ago. Now it seems they collect it all and deal with the problems after someone outside the actual collection makes the determination as to whether this was desired information and what to do with it.

NSA has no limits 'set by Congress' - that is an oversimplification at best, or a misrepresentation at worst. Congress may set guidelines and principles for the activities of the NSA but they cannot do more than that.

I will however add one off topic point:

Remember all those missing, lost, or misplaced White House emails? NSA has them ALL - 100% guaranteed, I'll put hard cash on that bet! The problem is they will NEVER admit they 'intercepted' them. However - their accidental netting of all e-data and signals intelligence doesn't leave room for doubt.

Can anyone say 'subpoena'?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The only difference between the two threads is the other one got posted as a regular thread. I chose to post this as a Breaking Political News thread, because Congress being involved in the process makes it a political issue to me. I'm happy to have you link that thread in here, Maxmars, and keep up the good work.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I want justice to be done! I want these criminal traitors to be held accountable for the felony they are committing and have committed against the dignity of the Constitution of the United States, and the People it protects!

And, since it is confusing who I am talking about, I will clarify. The NSA officials and government executives who ordered this mission, are as guilty as any "potential" terrorist.

We have the right to be "potential" anythings, in this country! It is only when you break the LAW that you become a criminal!!!

with Grace, in Liberty, by Justice,
O-315

[edit on 16-4-2009 by organism315]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by organism315

I wouldn't exactly go holding my breath, if I were you.

The habit of Washington to usually cover it up, or shift blame elsewhere.

new topics

top topics

join