It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian UFO Reports 1969

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Roughly 24 years ago I was handed a 07 page document by a friend who was aware of my interests in UFO's and Aliens etc. It contained Australian UFO Reports for the year of 1969, (my birth year). Apparently the document was given to my friends father by a golfing buddy... for what reason I was never told but I was happy to accept it.

The report itself was conducted by the Department of Air in Canberra. Perhaps they were compiled for UFO groups, I'm not really sure. Though the information in the document is very brief, it does have an air of Project Blue Book as it appears that the idea was to explain away the sightings. I'm sure some sightings were misidentification's of prosaic objects but there are also some ambiguous explanations.

As I have changed my residential address many times since then, the document was stowed away amongst many keep sakes. Until recently I had not been able to locate it. However, as it always seems to go, I came across it while looking for something else entirely. This weekend I finally got the chance to scan it in order to share it with all those that may be interested.

I would be interested in everyones thoughts on the document. Do you see an agenda? Is there a report that you found interesting? Do you agree with the explanations? Is there an explanation that stands out in your mind as being bogus? If so, which one? Or do you agree with the explanations?

I'd just like to see a friendly discussion and an exchanging of ideas. This thread isn't about whether or not ET's are in our skies so please, lets not start that boring, old, useless argument that gets us nowhere.

I have uploaded all seven pages (not including the cover) to the ATS Media Server. Make sure you click on the links in sequential order.

Image Links:
Page 01
Page 02
Page 03
Page 04
Page 05
Page 06
Page 07

I have also created a PDF document for all those that may want a copy of all seven pages conveniently compiled into one file. As I am the owner of the document and I'm not aware of any other copy in existence, if anybody wishes to use this information in part or in full for anything other than reading and research, please contact me for permission first.

PDF File:
PDF File

Enjoy! Star & Flag this Mutha!

IRM

[edit on 12/4/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Very interesting, it does seem like a summary of events.

I noticed two similar unexplained sightings in Perth around the same time too.
Might have to look more into that.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Did you noticed the two "unexplained" cases?

Are there any references to these two cases in other sources? It could be a starting point.

This is why I think personal archives are important, and that everyone that had someone in the family that could have been linked in any way with any type of investigation should look trough their old, forgotten objects and see what a present day interpretation can do.

PS: there was no need to add swamp-gas to the keywords.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Very interesting, it does seem like a summary of events.

Agreed! It is very much a summary. However, it provides useful information in the way of dates and times etc should any UFOlogist wish to chase any of these old cases up.

IRM

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Great post

Theres a good Australian Police reporting website thats well worth a read:
policeufo.com...
And this list of vehicle interference cases is also worth a look:

Excerpt:

Jan 1968: Orford, Tas - Ca. 2100hrs
A family were taking a weekend trip around Tas travelling on the east coast. The husband was driving the vehicle at fifty five to sixty five km/h when upon rounding a curve a bright light came over the driver's side. It was a yellowish light but the actual source was not visible. Seconds later the vehicle's lights dimmed for 100-200m. The bright light went out and the vehicle's lights returned to normal. Further on, round a sweeping bend the same thing happened. However, when he came out of the bend and onto the straight, the lights had failed altogether. This took place over fifteen to twenty seconds. The driver stopped the car to investigate. However, the yellow light had gone by this time and the headlights came back on by themselves.

1968/69: Tennant Creek, NT - Night
A group of 10 or so people in a 1952 vehicle were travelling along when the vehicle's motor just died. They then smelt a "hot metal" odour, and a large, dark disc shape rose from nearby and rose into the sky with no sound audible. Their motor vehicle's engine could then be successfuly started

8 Aug 1971: Kadina, SA - 1835hrs
A Mr Boyce, fifty one, left Wallaroo and was driving back to Kadina, alone in his car. About five kilometres out of town his surroundings were illuminated by an orange hue. Suddenly the engine stopped and the lights went out. The ignition light on the dashboard failed to come on, and despite efforts the engine could not be restarted. He steered the car to the side of the road and braked to a halt. Getting out he saw, at fifty metres altitude, an oval shape with three to four "windows". It was stationary, almost directly above the car. It remained motionless for two to three minutes with a continuous buzzing sound being audible. It then left to the south- east. Before it was completely out of sight, he got in the car and started the engine, with the lights then coming on.

20 Feb 1969: Norseman, WA - 1500hrs
A fully fuelled car began "to gasp" as if running out of petrol. A cigar shape was then noticed twenty five metres away near the road. It was ten metres long and moved away above trees, kicking up dust and leaves as it did so. The car then sped ahead. The object disappeared very quickly taking ten seconds to rise and disappear from view.

Mar 1970: Scottsdale, Tas
A forestry worker was driving along when he saw a flash in the sky. His car radio was overcome with static. A soundless, green object, three times the angular size of the full Moon was seen to the rear of the vehicle, at an estimated 200 metres distance

Ca Jul 1972: Melton Mowbray, Tas - Ca. 2000hrs
A twenty five year old housewife was driving at sixty five km/h from Kempton to a cabaret, when looking out her rear vision mirror she saw a light. At first she thought it was a car with one headlight, but it was soundless and no car was to be seen. The light came up behind her and seemed to swoop over the car. The incident lasted some thirty seconds. The engine started to splutter and jerk as if stopping. The car slowed down but was alright when the light had gone.

25 Jul 1972: Frankston, Vic - 2115hrs
The road was lit up by a blue light, and she accelerated the car. Suddenly the engine cut out as it turned off with the key. Thinking it had stalled she turned the ignition key but this had no affect. The car slowed to a halt at the side of the road and stopped all by itself. During this period turning the steering wheel did not alter the direction of travel, pumping the brake was to no avail and putting the gears through all their positions did nothing. However, the lights remained on at all times.

She maintained there were no unusual road bumps as the car came to a halt. There was no feeling of the road being under the wheels. All sounds "drained" out of the air and there was an eerie silence. Then she felt she was receiving a message and a voice appeared to be inside her head. As the impressions ceased the engine started itself, the outside blue light went out and the object was gone. This coincided with the approach of another vehicle. All systems were then back under her control.

30 Nov 1972: Murray Bridge, SA - 2315hrs
Motor mechanic Mr Maxwell was out testing his vehicle when upon coming over a rise in the road, the motor and lights of his car cut out. They came back on but rose and fell in intensity several times. He decided to stop the engine and the car came to a halt.
To his left he saw a "diamond shape with the top cut off" noiselessly sitting on the ground forty five metres away in a paddock. His car radio went "funny", making a noise like a "computer on TV", a constant rhythm.

As soon as he stopped the car he had tried the ignition key but when he turned it nothing happened, not even the oil light came on. He then tried the wipers and the electric air horn but they didn't work either. He locked all the doors and wound up the windows and just sat there for the next forty five minutes.
After this time, the object left and he found he could restart the car quite alright. An inspection of the vehicle next day revealed no cause for the electrical problems.

www.project1947.com...
Cheers.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Are there any references to these two cases in other sources? It could be a starting point.

Yes, I noticed those two cases. As far as any information or references are concerned, that's all there is my friend. Wish there was more but as you say, they are good starting points.

PS: there was no need to add swamp-gas to the keywords.

LOL! You read everything don't you! Just a bit of fun!

IRM

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

These are the two I noticed:

files.abovetopsecret.com...
(I hope IRM doesn't mind my cut and paste)

After a quick google search I haven't found anything of much interest but I did find this site which is worth a read:

www.auforn.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

LOL! You read everything don't you! Just a bit of fun!

IRM

Yes, and I follow all links too, even indirect ones.

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Hi

The entries are as you say, quite brief - however, the last page seems to go into more depth on the findings. Again, it looks like an official attempt to explain away things although the 7 or so unexplained. insufficient evidence cases is relatively high for the sample.

I was living in Sydney in 69 and don't know that we were really into UFO's as such - think our minds were elsewhere! :-)

Anyway have done a quick analysis - usual cuprits there in force - planets, meteorites, aircraft etc. Strangely there are a high number f satellite sightings...

Particularly liked the car failure one....it stopped because of failed electricals.... Like planes and trains that are delayed because they are.....well, late. :-)

Satellite 21 23.08%
Planet/Star 12 13.19%
Rocket 1 1.10%
Aircraft 27.5 30.22%
Balloon 4 4.40%
Metorite 8 8.79%
Atmosphere 1 1.10%
Moon Halo 2 2.20%
Lens Flare 1 1.10%
Car Failure 1 1.10%
Signal Flare 1 1.10%
Fireworks 1 1.10%
Joke 1 1.10%
Illusion 1 1.10%
Toadstools 1 1.10% (not clear if ingested or not :-))
Unexplained 7.5 8.24% (incudes on going and insufficient evidence)

Peace!

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks for the great link and excerpts Karl! Nice one mate!

IRM

reply to post by Chadwickus

Cut & Paste all you like Chadwickus! It appears that someone has photo's of one of those sightings. The only thing to do now is find out who!

IRM

Yes, and I follow all links too, even indirect ones.

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Note to self.... Never try and pull a fast one over ArMaP!

IRM

[edit on 12/4/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

Hi The Wave!

Thanks for your break down on the percentages! Always interesting to look at those aspects.

My favorite 'sighting' was the practical joke where someone watched something take off from their front lawn through frosted glass. That one always makes me laugh!

"hello dude... open your door!"

Your toadstool comment was a corker too! I hear ya man!

IRM

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Sorry but couldn't resist this;

'A group of 10 or so people in a 1952 vehicle were travelling along when the vehicle's motor just died. They then smelt a "hot metal" odour...'

The crank shaft? main bearings, suspension? All? :-)

Peace!

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I agree: here's what've found about the first case, the one in which the UFO was tracked by the radar at Perth:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/ab8eb75cf889b104.jpg[/atsimg]

In the middle of 1969 a major flap broke out in Western Australia, centred in Perth. One of the reports included an impressive radar visual event at Cloverdale and tracked on Kalamunda radar on May 23rd. The Director of Air Force Intelligence felt that things had gotten out of control and made an appeal for the Defence “intervention” group to assist. Unfortunately the group had not been finalised, and Harry Turner was seconded to help out. Turner found the radar case intriguing. As a physicist and analyst for the JIB, he concluded, “Neither the Kalamunda radar observation nor Mrs. C__'s sighting can be readily explained by conventional objects or phenomena.” His report also in part criticised the DAFI system for handling UFO reports, in particular referring to the lack of assistance given to the Air Force Intelligence officer “on the spot.” Hindsight is a wonderful thing, however at the time the DAFI “empire” was under threat. The Air Force did not take kindly to criticism, particularly when it came from what DAFI saw as an "outsider" a JIB scientist. The upshot of this was that Harry Turner's access to the DAFI UFO files was withdrawn.

www.project1947.com...

12. ATC radar operator at Kalamunda, 1835 hours on May 23, received a strong stationary "paint", 300 degrees 9N miles from the airport. He had first observed the return whilst talking on the phone to a woman reporting an object "like a big streetlight" over Cloverdale at the time. The "paint" was of 36 seconds duration on the screen. An aircraft was about 4N miles SE of the UFO, but no visual sighting was made. The woman reported the object had departed to the North at tremendous speed and had disappeared from sight.

www.ufoevidence.org...

InfaRedMan, good work mate, there's some interesting stuff, in my humble opinion, thank you

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Nice work Internos!

We can always count on you to come through with the goods! Your research as always is second to none my friend. This particular case looks like it's worth further investigation!

That's a star from me good buddy!

IRM

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Great post IRM. It seems ATS dries up and then bubbles up with a good thread or two. There's just a little more to add to Internos' post. The The Director of Air Force Intelligence was Group Capt R.S. Royston. In a memo released in July 1971 he explains why no official investigations or serious follow ups resulted from these incidents...

“Although I am directly concerned with any possible threat to Australian security, I am not particularly interested in the subject of UFOs, even though my directorate devotes valuable time to this problem. I accept the US assessments without question and consider that it would be a complete waste for we here in Australia to spend valuable time and money in further detailed investigations. However, should the Department of Supply wish to undertake such studies the records of this directorate would be freely available. It would have to be pointed out to Supply, however, that the RAAF could provide no additional assistance in the matter and Supply would have to undertake all the facets of the further investigations.”
Source

According to the site a Harry Turner, physicist worked for the Directorate of Scientific and Technical Intelligence (DSTI) of the Joint Intelligence Bureau. In a report he recorded that...

“The information suggests the existence of 3 “weapon systems” - (1) a device to interfere with electrical circuits, (2) a device to induce paralysis, (3) a heat ray.” Turner indicated, “There is circumstantial evidence that these weapons are at times used deliberately, although mostly in a defensive role. A number of reports allege that a lone car at night has been followed, and after being stopped by a beam, some kind of interaction has developed between the car occupants and the landed craft occupants. Information is included which deals with residual effects on the environment of the landed craft. It is these residual effects which offer the greatest potential reward to scientific investigation at this stage.”

Naturally, the authenticity of these quotes need to be verified and supported. Nevertheless, if they are accurate they provide an insight into why it appears no investigations are carried out. I look forward to any more information on this....

EDIT to add that it took ten minutes and a lot of editing and messing around to post this. The new 200 character policy messed up. After numerous edits, this is the original attempt

[edit on 12-4-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Thanks IRM - I really enjoy reading about the Australian incidents, so S&F.

When I was in RAAF aircrew officer training many years ago, there was an officer on our course who stated he had previously worked in the UFO investigation area of the RAAF. He would not discuss his work at all, other than to make a couple of statements to the effect there was a lot more information available than was ever made public. He specifically stated there was more information available about the Valentich case in 1978 than was made public. This would have been fresh in his memory because I had this discussion (brief as it was) with him only a short time after the Valentich disappearance.

I still think about that.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hey, IRM. Not to be too picky, but could you also upload the cover of the report?

In case other people have seen something similar they might recognise the cover, rather than the contents. Similarly, if we know what the cover looks like, then we can always be on the look out for more of the same?

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Australian UFO history is greatly underrated and the best resource I have found by far is by Bill Chalker. This should be mandatory reading for all Aussies interested in UFO's. A lot of what was revealed in these pages was when Bill Chalker got access to Defence files on UFO's in the early 80's.

Sub Rosa

Most notably for this case it gives some historical background to DAFI and JIB. It also has a section on this incident too and the actual report.

In the middle of 1969 a major flap broke out in Western Australia, centred in Perth. One of the reports included an impressive radar visual event at Cloverdale and tracked on Kalamunda radar on May 23rd. The Director of Air Force Intelligence felt that things had gotten out of control and made an appeal for the Defence "intervention" group to assist. Unfortunately the group had not been finalised, and Harry Turner was seconded to help out.

Turner supplied me with a copy of his report. The radar visual incident was described as follows:

On the 23rd May, 1969, (Mrs. C___' s) 13 year old son, who has an interest in the night sky, noticed from the front door of their house... that to the south and about 10 degrees above the horizon, there was a moving light which he first took to be an aeroplane. As it approached to the SE of the observer, it became apparent to him that its behaviour pattern differed considerably from that of an aircraft.

He called his mother who observed....in an easterly direction a steady red light on top of a more diffused blue-white light, and darting haphazardly in a zig-zag pattern, but in general travelling towards a northerly direction until it disappeared behind the house.

The two witnesses proceeded to the NW side of the house where they observed a luminous object stationary against the clear starry sky, at an elevation between 10 and 15 degrees and at a bearing of 015 degrees. The light observed was circular - about half the diameter of a fool moon. It was steady in position and intensity for some 15 - 20 minutes. It no longer had a red light on top and had the brightness of a fluorescent streetlight.

The edge was not clean cut but was somewhat hazy, even though the night air was perfectly clear. The time at which the object was first sighted was estimated as being 1835 hours.... Shortly before 1900 hours the object moved at extremely high velocity, away from the observers in a general N to NE-ly direction.

Mrs. C____ ...telephoned the shift operator on site. (He) was still talking to Mrs. C___ when a request came from the meteorological radar situated near Perth Airport as to whether he could check out an unidentified echo seen on the meteorological radar. [Turner concluded the met returns were possibly prosaic and unrelated to the main incident - B.C.]

The Kalamunda radar operator had not been watching his screen as no aircraft were in the vicinity, but on checking the radar P.P.I. screen, he observed a large echo some 9 miles away at 300 degrees from his position which placed the echo some 21/2 miles north of Mrs. C___ 's position. Initial contact was made at 1901 hours and held for only 30 to 40 seconds.

The echo which reappeared for short durations on 5 further occassions was twice the size of a large aircraft at that position. The echo has not been seen since it finally disappeared at 1942 hours.

One unusual feature of the Kalamunda report is that the radar is equipped with Moving Target Indicator (MTI) which supresses all permanent echoes and all targets moving at speeds less than an estimated 6 knots... The night in question was clear and calm and there is no justification for an MTI break-through in the region of the target.

Despite the operation of MTI, the unknown target was clearly visible, even though there was no noticeable displacement of its position. The operator had never before met an apparently stationary target that was recorded so clearly despite the operation of MTI. (The operator) paid particular attention to this echo over the whole period of 41 minutes that it occurred, because it was a potential traffic hazard to two aircraft in circuit at about that time, and they had to be warned to avoid the area of the unknown target....

The operator is quite sure ... that the echo's appearance never lasted more than a minute at any one time.... ....Just before 1900 hours the object moved away from the observer, disappearing from sight in a fraction of a second, and it is possible that it correlates with the stationary echo on radar at 1901 hours. The unusual features of the radar echo are:

(a) Size;

(b) The fact that it was seen despite the operation
of MTI; and

(c) The spasmodic appearance.

It is not possible to readily conceive of an explanation for these observations. All observers were obviously sincerely puzzled individuals with an aversion to publicity...."

Harry Turner, a physicist and analyst for the JIB, concluded, "Neither the Kalamunda radar observation nor Mrs. C___'s sighting can be readily explained by conventional objects or phenomena." His report also in part criticised the DAFI system for handling UFO reports, in particular referring to the lack of assistance given to the Air Force Intelligence officer "on the spot".

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, however at the time the DAFI "empire" was under threat. Some years earlier the RAAF had asked JIB to take "the UFO problem" over, but the clandestine side of JIB did not want "a bar of it", as they considered they would then be caught up in what they regarded as a complex conjectural matter, which might drag them into the limelight - the last thing an intelligence organisation would want.

However in 1969/1970 with the DAFI empire under threat, the Air Force did not take kindly to criticism, particularly when it came from what DAFI saw as an "outsider" a JIB scientist. The upshot of this was that Harry Turner's access to the DAFI UFO files was withdrawn.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
i]reply to post by InfaRedMan

Sorry, total BS, I have a typewriter from 1918 and it looks just as good. Type something up and scan into a PDF or whatever.

Hoax

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
i]reply to post by InfaRedMan

Sorry, total BS, I have a typewriter from 1918 and it looks just as good. Type something up and scan into a PDF or whatever.

Hoax

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join