It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival "Kyoto" Cooking - No Smoke! Easy and Cheap to Make.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I see no reason for why it couldnt work. I was watching some ...extreme homes program on tv and a woman was completely off the grid. her oven was a miniature greenhouse, the measurements seemed like, 2feet x 2 feet, she cooked cookies and made a turkey in it.

She also lived in the desert, so that is probably why the greenhouse thing worked so well.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

you have to put holes in around the top edge or it will suffocate the flame

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
interesting stuff, thanks!

it has just dawned on me that i know NOTHING about survival and whether any conspiracies that go that way happen or not, this stuff is very important and everyone should know it/ if not for any other reason because we can save money and electricity and thus help the environment.

i'm thinking of growing some vegetables in my garden and learning how to make best use of the things available to me. the frustrating thing is that all these survival programs normally give you extreme scenarios. whilst those are very important we can all learn much more useful tips from making better use of the resources available to us here in our gardens or homes. that's why i like the show 'how to grow your own drugs' showing on the bbc right now. the stuff it explains is unlikely to be a life saver for me, however it keeps money out of the pharmeceutical companies, which can be no bad thing.

whoever it was who mentioned having lots of survival material links, please send them this way. or better yet paste them in a thread so that loads of people can stumble on them and use them.

here's a link to the grow your own drugs book on amazon if anyone is interested: www.amazon.co.uk...

it will be great to hear how people get on with these cooking boxes. i'm eager to try it myself!

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
When we go Scuba Diving we use these Thermo Packs. Its so easy to snap the disc and it stays warm for hours. That way you can heat objects with it. Instead of having to boil water every time. These things really are cool and you just boil the bag in water to reset it.

www.thermo-pad.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Renegade Bison

Okay, you asked for a one stop shop thread of survival info....

well here ya go....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
i'm not sure heating paint up near food, especially to those temperatures, and with aluminum AND a plastic covering over it, is such a good thing? i'm thinking heated molecules of plastic.....don't they form like formaldehyde and so forth? might want to use organic materials, like rocks or unpainted bricks, undyed paving stones, untreated natural materials, something more friendly to your body

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I still can’t imagine this thing wouldn’t work great in a pinch

Great in a sunny pinch, you mean. Here, 8 months out of the year it wouldn't go.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There is an even easier cooker shown on you tube (sorry,no link) made out of a pizza box and, yes, black paint is used and is safe-just use it once to burn off any toxins.

I plan on making a bunch of these.

Also, check out making cookers, used with isopropyl alcohol, made out of cat food cans or beer cans and a puncher. Very light for a bug-out bag.

I have found some useful info on Survivalblog.com also.

If the black paint is a problem for you try using a flat black pizza pan-I ordered one on amazon. The new ones can be trimmed with scissors.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by seabisquit]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I skimmed this thread fairly quick so sorry if it's been mentioned. I saw one poster had made one for a class.

I made one similar for a science class, but instead of black paint inside a box, I used one of those Styrofoam ice chests you get at the gas station.

Provides the insulation, lined the inside with tin foil, and put the Plexiglas on top at a slight angle to somewhat concentrate the light.

Not sure at how efficient it'd be in the long run, but it sure did heat up the hot dogs I was making!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Instead of using black paint you could just use any black metal pan. Thin metal is preferable. Like a turkey roaster or the pizza pan someone mentioned.

Just in case someone's interested, here's a site with lots of plans for making solar cookers.
Linky

Another

solar cooking archive

[edit on 11-4-2009 by FunSized]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

*Waves to QA*

BTW: another excellent thought for people to do.. which I have two different books on now. Is get a book about how to make meals and eat regular everyday outside plants. It is actually very interesting and good to have in a pinch also.

Isn’t that the truth!

I’ve turned to eating *seasonally* - Meaning - I only eat what growing at the time of the year the fruit or vegetable is actually ripe in the field or sprouting up around the place.

It’s tough and of course I can’t stick to it 100% (I still eat bread and pasta and supplement cooking with out of season spices like garlic) but whether it’s psychological or not, once I got used to this way of eating I wouldn’t change it for the world.

It just reinforces to me the world is alive and not at all against feeding it’s *children*.

When it’s time for the lighter greens and veggies - it’s too hot for the potatoes and pumpkins that grow later on when I need to store up on more carbs and starches.

See ya on the flip side QA!

peace

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

He didn't 'invent' jack. This sort of thing has been around since at least the 50's. It's already been done.

www.solarcooking.org...

I have a new invention. It's a round object that rolls. I plan on putting a cylinder in the middle of it so I can attach two of them together, and move heavy loads that way. It'll revolutionize the world!

And something called a hammer. we need those so when I invent the nail, we can put them to use.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by SpacePunk]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

He didn't 'invent' jack. This sort of thing has been around since at least the 50's. It's already been done.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger bud.

Take your gripe to the news site I took the quotes from and the foundation who gave him the award for his 'invention'.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I am so sorry Silo!!

I have corrected my thread, what a dumb mistake I made!!

I had read a post from S. Dog and when I was putting my thread together, dumb me, put his name in instead of yours.

Forgive my ignorance!! SORRY SORRY!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I think I have misplaced the link but I saw where a man took the cover from a plasma TV (the screen part) and used it as a fantastic way to make a solar oven, I mean that puppy really worked well.

Glad to see this thread is getting the rccognition it should as these little helpful hints may seem odd now and just a bit of a hassle, but w sitx comes we will be the ones surviving.

Even an extended black out such as QA has mentioned can cause you to go into creative mode.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I think I have misplaced the link but I saw where a man took the cover from a plasma TV (the screen part) and used it as a fantastic way to make a solar oven, I mean that puppy really worked well.

I think you're referring to a fresnel lens. The youtube channel Green Power Science has a lot of really useful DIY alternative energy videos that I think we'd all be interested in.

Flash solar cooking with Fresnel lens

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
In survival mode, on sunny days, this would probably be a great way to save fuel. However, anytime it is cloudy or raining, or snowing, or night time, this of course wouldn't work, and during the winter, it might not work at all. If there are concerns about bacteria, then maybe the oven should be tested by seeing if a pot of equal amount of water, as the food desired to cook, can boil.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Living off the grid is only a realistic alternative if you live in the following places: -

1. Near the equator where there is plenty of sun
  2. Near a river - use of a tesla turbine, or/and water wheel would provide ample energy

Anywhere else, and you'll be struggling to get off the grid.

Regarding the Kyoto solar cooker, this is in essence a simple box cooker, there are a plethora of other viable designs including parabolic (most efficient cooker design), trough, butterfly, compound, and pizza box.

@silo13
You mentioned suggestions for cooking in a *hide out* situation. Perhaps the following information you should find of interest...

Materials and parabolic solar cooker kits for you to have a go at building one yourself.
Parabolic Solar Cookers

Regards
Sol

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I live in Canada and it gets a tad cold here sometimes.
This would be a useful thing for me for a few months at most.
Good idea but I think it would be useless in minus 20 weather without a doubt.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join