It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
we all know the gov't has a intra-net... it shouldn't be too difficult to disconnect them from the inter-net and move em on to a intra-net.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Major utilities are run on closed networks so spies couldn't shut down the power grids remotely. Some systems are connected to the internet but these are not important but do contain info that could be used to come up with an attack plan I guess.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Could this be a false flag event?......

I'm not saying it is but It seems to strange that just 2 days ago Obama was granted power over cyber security and can shut down sites or the entire internet in the event of a 'Cyber Emergency"

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Well, the military wouldn't be affected in either situation. I'm sure this is just like in the cold war, they tell us they are really far behind and need more $$ or rights to catch up, and us as sheeple, will give it to them. They probably do the same to other countries...I mean where do you think that 289 billion in "lost" money went to?
Don't worry, If America goes down, we will take everyone with us.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Please oh Mr.Big Government protect us from the bullies of the world.

First they have to come up with situations to protect us from.

Maybe if it's this bad we need to go back to manual for key locations.

Have we gotten this soft and reliant on technologies?

Originally posted by Sparkey76

Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies

online.wsj.com

WASHINGTON -- Cyberspies have penetrated the U.S. electrical grid and left behind software programs that could be used to disrupt the system, according to current and former national-security officials.

The spies came from China, Russia and other countries, these officials said, and were believed to be on a mission to navigate the U.S. electrical system and its controls. The intruders haven't sought to damage the power grid or other key infrastructure, but officials warned they could try during a crisis or war.

"The Chinese have attempted to map our infrastructure, such as the electrical grid," said a senior intelligence official. "So have the Russians."

The espionage appeared pervasive across the U.S. and doesn't target a particular company or region, said a former Department of Homeland Security official. "There are intrusions, and they are growing," the former official said, referring to electrical systems. "There were a lot last year."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Sparkey76]

Mod Edit: Review this Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The EXACT Headline

[edit on 4/8/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Well it is good to say it is China I guess.

I don't know how anyone can really say xyz is from anywhere if it comes from China, that's all we know - it came in from China. China has networks that just let anyone hop right in. I've been in a position to try to communicate with the chinese over some abuse that took place and if they really can speak English like they are reported to be able to - supposedly they have a high English literacy rate - the network admins were busy learning bash when English class was going on, or they act like it.

I'll go back to what I said, hope people consider it. When Slammer hit way back when, the grid went down and there were black outs. When that happened security professionals buzzed with "It was slammer." They came out and said "No, it wasn't slammer." But it was. They waited and came out with a report forever and a day later that said "It was slammer." They let a fairly simple internet worm hit a nuclear power facility.

I took down a national private system once - doing a job - running a scan that hit an older mainframe...it hadn't been patched as it should have been - as it was reported to have been - a simple scan spawned a run away process and the machine had to come down -and those things can take a day to boot back up. We were getting cussed and yelled at and who's fault was it? Some admin that didn't patch his system.

Some of these systems we've plugged into the same net with our 75 year old granddads who turn their computer off once it won't run anymore from 300 windows being open at once...who have no clue what a patch is, and admins that should know better but just don't or don't have the time to keep up with the research and upkeep on systems, working with systems that need to be replaced...
Heck let's just put EVERYTHING on the Internet.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I don't get it.

We have always know what one man can build another man can take apart.

Hackers are common and expected. This is no secret.

The question now is what why there is no contingency plan for the inevitable?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I suspect it is b/c people do not want to listen to the blackhat thinkers.

I think a lot of 'conspiracy nuts' are blackhat thinkers.
I've not doubt I am one.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Did anyone else think about the 2005 blackout?

When I first heard this story, I immediately thought about the big blackout in 2005 that hit the whole eastern US. If you remember it, then you will also remember that the government tried to blame it on hackers, who hacked into a control center and shut down a section of the grid and then more of the grid came down due to the load. It was several days before it was shown that hackers did not cause the blackout.

Then the government tried to blame the Niagra Falls power station and that was false.

Then they tried to blame a switching center near Detroit, but that wasn't it.

The story eventually died without a definitive answer about the actual cause of the blackout.

Is it possible that the 2005 blackout was a dress rehersal for an attack on our power grid?

Or, is it possible that TPTB know that another one is coming soon and they are trying to get a cover story together?

Or, is it possible that TPTB is planning on shutting down the grid on April 15th to block out news of the Tea Parties, since a big power outage would be much bigger news than a bunch of people yelling, "No taxation without representation".

If we all keep our eyes open for the next couple of weeks, I am sure that we are going to find out what this story is all about.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Is this propaganda mind control to get people to rally around spending trillions of dollars over the next 3 years to implement factories and manufacturing of windmill and solar power?

Will we see some 'test' examples of rolling blackouts in our major cities over the next 4 months as a push to quicken the plan?

Or do China, Russia and other countries want to watch the US become the worlds biggest Nuclear disaster rendering it practically useless?

The other option is for the total compartmentalization of internet companies being turned over to Homeland Security.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The NERC memo:
online.wsj.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

Yes, that is when the slammer worm hit - that's what I was saying. It was 2003- I'm not sure about 2005? What specifically are you referring to?

Here's another good article: www.schneier.com...

IMO< if the US was serious about cybersecurity, Bruce Scheiner would have been put in charge then. Instead we hire the tech guy from ebay.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by hadriana]

[edit on 8-4-2009 by hadriana]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Yes, those terrorist, oops, I mean spies did penetrate our electricity grid.

Hello, sounds like the same ol' "movies" we have been watching since 9-11. Same plot, different actors, slightly modified content. At the end, some kind of security measure ultimately takes place.

Damn, it doesn't seem like it matters who gets elected. We still hear the same stuff over and over.

As if we are supposed to believe the world is full of terrorists. News flash! It's not.

I would say the largest part of the worlds population would just like to go on with their lives.

Troy

[edit on 8-4-2009 by cybertroy]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
This is madness!

But to be fair the PC's will need to access the internet to get Windows Updates

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I suspect it is b/c people do not want to listen to the blackhat thinkers.

I think a lot of 'conspiracy nuts' are blackhat thinkers.
I've not doubt I am one.

Black hat thinking is not a bad thing. IMO Black hat thinking is the most import element of critical thinking.

Maybe we need a heck of a lot more black hat thinking; then perhaps we would not be in the mess we are in world wide.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
I've got a valid question.

Why is your electrical grid connected to the internet in the first place?

I mean, lo be it for me to tell technicians they can't chat while they work, but connecting the same terminals that control the grid to the internet seems like asking for trouble to me.

Well... whatever, if the grid comes down, it's your own fault for being stupid.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by johnsky]

i was just going to ask the same question

now you need to ask the idiot who connected it to the internet the same question

probably the answer will be because he wanted to operate it from his house

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
reply to post by FadeToBlack

If China and Russia have done it to us, I know for a fact that we've probably already done it to them.

This may shock you but the majority of malicious hacking attempts in the world originate from two countries: America and Israel.

www.usatoday.com...
www.infowar-monitor.net...

There are undergraduate-dropouts and highschool nerds more dangerous than any Russian or Chinese computer virus or trojan hack.

Look at Gary McKinnon, the 414s, Ken Thompson, Robert Morris, Ehud Tannenbaum, or Jeanson Ancheta. Real hackers who caused real damage and penetrated very sensitive networks.

The people who pioneered hacking and viruses were most certainly not Chinese or Russian.

[edit on 8/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

No kidding. I know we have some people being 'hired' by the Government for their 'abilities' not unlike the nuclear scientists the Soviet Union laid off when they dissolved. It's definitely a dangerous world we live in, but it just may in fact be more dangerous domestically than opposed to foriegn soils.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
excellent post,

Yes, the part which most Americans' don't get is the truth in bribes. They view espionage as a foreign matter. No good standing american would take a bribe!? Yes, they would it just cost's more.

Another thing to realize is that many Americans carry duel nationalities, or should I say verifiable evidence they aren't just loyal to the home of the brave?

Israel for example only is constantly getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar; so is China.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by WwUdNoW

Add me to the list. Had the same thing happen to my computer, there was some t.v. playing on my laptop speakers. I scrolled up and down the page, but didn't see any videos are advertisements playing AT ALL.

I thought I was loosing my mind, couldn't figure out where the t.v. sound was playing from??

Anyone else?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by manbird12000
reply to post by WwUdNoW

Add me to the list. Had the same thing happen to my computer, there was some t.v. playing on my laptop speakers. I scrolled up and down the page, but didn't see any videos are advertisements playing AT ALL.

I thought I was loosing my mind, couldn't figure out where the t.v. sound was playing from??

Anyone else?

That is likely being caused by a computer virus on your system. There are viruses that load random audio files on to your PC which is likely what you are hearing. I had the same thing happen to me and it was very difficult to completely clean my machine. I finally found a program that found the virus and completely removed it.

I'd strongly advise getting this taken care of ASAP.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join