It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyberspies Penetrate U.S. Electrical Grid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — Cyberspies have penetrated the U.S. electrical grid and left behind software programs that could be used to disrupt the system, according to current and former national-security officials.

Many of the intrusions were detected not by the companies in charge of the infrastructure but by U.S. intelligence agencies, officials said. Intelligence officials worry about cyber attackers taking control of electrical facilities, a nuclear power plant or financial networks via the Internet.

link

This article really caught my attention after reading other ATS threads about electrical grid concerns. After digesting the article, I immediately felt as if this was an explanation to an event yet to happen. Maybe the NWO is going to use an electrical blackout to encourage the American people to seek refuge at FEMA camps. The "story" of cyberspies infiltrating the electrical grid of the U.S. seems far-fetched considering the amount of increased security in every aspect of our lives after 9/11.

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Kinda sounds like the last Die Hard movie.

But seriously, the power grid would be a valuable target for anyone seeking to harm the US. Without electricity, there would be no communication, and without communication, we're screwed. That being said, i know several network security professionals and they're all sharp as tacks. I have serious doubts about the abilities of some rogue hacker getting anything over on these people.
On another note, this could be propaganda to stir up support for the new power obama is seeking over the internet, in the event of an "emergency." I wouldn't put it past this administration to continue using fear tactics to push through legislation that would otherwise have no chance of passing.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Gee! If we ever loose our electricity to these cyberspies taking down the U.S. electrical grid, that would mean not only lots of downtime and inability to access the internet and post to conspiracy sites like ATS, but actually reading books, newspapers and periodicals and talking to people, too! I guess we'd better start getting used to living by candles, kerosene, matches, soot and smoke, just like in the old days!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Well, don't you think our government is hacking other country's computers and electricity? Probably. They read our emails and watch what we download, they probably look at what other countries are doing too.

China is doing the same thing, watching people closely and watching other country's moves. I assume Russia is taking part in this giant chess game too.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
It's been common knowledge for years that the usa and russia have been engaged in scalar wars using their H.A.A.R.P systems. They are the only 2 nations that have this kind of technology, and china has been wanting one for themselves for years now too. Funny thing, at the g-20 last week obama talked at how he trusted both russis and china to be good neighbors, and then they both attack our power grid? Kinda like when ole GW Bush said he looked into the soul of Vladmir Putin eh?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Of course they have this kind of technology, just like the US does.

They do it is a defensive measure, just like the US has done. While our power grid may be more reliable if any developed or developing country loses power, they would be back in the stone ages quick.

This is only one of many Spy vs Spy things that go on in the world, but most of us never think of it.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Seems like excuses are being lined up for the impending blackouts that may happen this year.

A new study released this week highlights what experts have been saying for years: The United States faces significant risk of power brownouts and blackouts as early as next summer that may cost tens of billions of dollars and threaten lives.

The study, "Lights Out In 2009?" warns that the U.S. "faces potentially crippling electricity brownouts and blackouts beginning in the summer of 2009, which may cost tens of billions of dollars and threaten lives."

"If particularly vulnerable regions, like the Western U.S., experience unusually hot temperatures for prolonged periods of time in 2009, the potential for local brownouts or blackouts is high, with significant risk that local disruptions could cascade into regional outages that could cost the economy tens of billions of dollars," the report warned.

U.S. baseload generation capacity reserve margins "have declined precipitously to 17 percent in 2007, from 30-40 percent in the early 1990s," according to the study. A 12-15 percent capacity reserve margin is the minimum required to ensure reliability and stability of the nation’s electricity system. Compounding this capacity deficiency, the projected U.S. demand in the next ten years is forecast to grow by 18 percent, far exceeding the projected eight percent growth in baseload generation capacity between now and 2016.

tdworld.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
That may be true about the blackouts, but ya gotta remember how the elite use hollywood to condition and program the public. Case in point, that 1980's Patrick Swayze movie "Red Dawn", and that Steven Segal movie "The Patriot". Deceased New Zealand pastor Barry Smith and his son have talked to several New Mexico citizens about those 250,000 foreign troops in Alamagordo waiting on orders to take to our american streets when martial law is declared. I have that on a dvd of his, and his son is still in new mexico studying this and has even opened up a church there. I have also seen what was supposedly classified docs where good ole bubba (bill clinton) had given an EO that allowed chinese troops to be stationed here in underground bases until further notice. It's no big secret that both clinton and bush sold secrets and computer software to the chinese, so this could be plausible also.

new topics

top topics

join