It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why host Fictional stories on ATS, instead of BTS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
While it is all fine and dandy to engage in collaborative writing, and some of what I have seen here can be fairly entertaining at times, I pause to wonder why it is even found here on ATS. It is one thing to have a serious discussion on Secret Government plans, UFOs, and cryptozoology, it is another thing entirely to make up stories about them. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to move Collaborative Writing to Below Top Secret.

Mind you, I am not bashing the idea, just the appropriateness of fictional writings on ATS. On a web site dedicated to uncovering the truth and separating it from fiction, it seems inappropriate to be hosting deliberate fictions and presenting it alongside the search for truth. The Bush administration made up stories about Weapons of Mass Destruction and look where it led us. We certainly do not want to give the impression that The Voyage of the Penelope has any basis in fact or it will end up another John Titor tale. Below Top Secret would be a better place for the deliberate telling of tales. There is certainly nothing Secret, Conspiratorial, nor Alternative about collaborative writing.

Just my two cents.

Edited: Title changed to appease those against the idea.

[edit on 29/3/09 by Terapin]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

I agree 100% , when a thread is deemed non-informive, its gets moved to BTS

Nothin.g wrong with writing stories, but they are just that

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Edit cos i got wrong end of the stick.

Thought we were actually talking about people who fake stories as real experiences.

OP, why complain about collaborative writing or fictional writing... it clearly states that that's exactly what it is??

[edit on 29/3/09 by blupblup]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The problem you have is how do you know who is teling the truth. The truth is stranger than fiction, sometimes, and who knows.

everything i say here on this board is true, but because of people like you and others who are so blinded to anything out of the norm, you just ignore it. Thats fine, but the truth is the truth.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I think the OP and I are talking about the Collabritive Writing section, which

are named just that . I think you have your lines crossed as to the

intent.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Andy, I am not questioning your veracity. I am wondering why ATS allows the DELIBERATE telling of false stories, and hosts it alongside more serious discussion. There is a difference.

Collaborative writing is the deliberate making up of stories for entertainment. It has nothing to do with the motto of Deny Ignorance.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Here's the thing about collaborative writing from my perspective, it gives us regulars a creative outlet for our imaginations to flow which always relates to a better understanding of the truth of the world in which we live.

Without creativity, there is no original thought, without it we are less not more.

I have always respected and enjoyed your posts, yet I find this kind of difficult to understand, would you prefer we keep to the serious nature of the site and get rid of the poetry, the shortstories and collaborate forums?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I agree. Short stories, poems and colloborative writing should be moved to BTS. They have absolutely nothing to do with stuff Above Top Secret.

Personally I don't find the stories interesting at all, and the few I have read have not been well written either. Don't think they would stand much chance of being published anywhere out there in the real world. Other people may enjoy these scriblings for all I know, but they can just as well enjoy them over in BTS.

Good point, OP.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by sebarud]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Not at all, BTS is a wonderful part of site

they have more of a creative, free speak attitude

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Also might I add that you will discover some real truths hidden in the more creative fictional forums. It is always that way and ATS is no different. I look forward to bringing unconventional knowledge to the forum and I find that calling it fiction is the best way to introduce it to people with out the ability to comprehend it in a non fiction enviroment...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, I am not against collaborative writing. I simply believe it should be moved to Below Top Secret, because that is exactly what it is. I encourage those interested, to continue to create great stories, just keep it in the appropriate venue.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Originally posted by Terapin
I am wondering why ATS allows the DELIBERATE telling of false stories, and hosts it alongside more serious discussion. There is a difference.

Serious?

You do realize that nearly 90% of what is posted on this board is likely fiction?

Honestly, do you really think there is any confusion over the nature of the writings in that forum?

Why does this bother you again?

[edit on 29-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I can certainly see both sides of the arguement here. I agree that the creative outlet is important and the stories are labled as such. I can also see why they might be fround uponed as well due to the speculation and uncertainities that all ready aboud in the feilds of these subjects. In the end though I don't think it really contributes to any detriment to the site since it's content is user generated and policed by a very qaulified staff that do a pretty good job of labeling hoaxes.

I say leave em.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I was well aware that in starting this thread, the Writers among us would protest. I have no desire to hinder anyones creativity. It should be encouraged where appropriate, but this board has an area specifically for such content and it is called Below Top Secret. What is so wrong with moving Collaborative Writing to a more appropriate venue?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
One more thing, I have not seen many threads that you have authored, and forgive me if you have started many as they obviously have not caught my personal attention, so tell me why does this issue hit you with such passion that you put it on the main ATS forum and not in the RANT section of BTS where it rightfully belongs?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Originally posted by Terapin
I was well aware that in starting this thread, the Writers among us would protest. I have no desire to hinder anyones creativity. It should be encouraged where appropriate, but this board has an area specifically for such content and it is called Below Top Secret. What is so wrong with moving Collaborative Writing to a more appropriate venue?

Frankly, I don't care where it is. I just think complaining about is a little silly, imo.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I put on Board Questions, because it is just that. A question about content.

Please do not mistake my query as one of seeking to deny the creative individuals among us an outlet for their good works. I am not bashing anyone here, and do not seek to deny nor censor creativity. It is a matter of Board function. BTS was created for exactly such content.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Incidentlly, I'm curious why you chose to name this thread: "host deliberate false stories on ATS" as opposed to "host fictional writing on ATS?"

Your choice of words implies the intent to deceive....as opposed to the intent to entertain. Big difference.

Is deceit the objective of that forum in your view?

You might have received a more favorable response from me, if you hadn't front loaded your thread in that manner.

Again, I could care less where it is.

Just sayin'

[edit on 29-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It is not loading the deck. I am sure you are aware that there are those in here who do indeed deliberately post false information in forums other than Collaborative Writing. It is part of the problem with seeking to uncover truth in alternative topics. One has to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak

As ATS presents itself as the definitive web site for alternative and conspiracy related subjects, it seems odd that it allows the deliberate creation of tales, alongside the search for truth, when ATS has a separate area for more creative works. Namely BTS.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Very well said, Loam.

that is what has confused me with this thread.

It seems to imply on one hand, we are attempting to "deceive" people through our story we have going on.

I think if the title had been different on this thread, to reflect it seems like, what the original OP had intended, which is for collaborative writing to simply be put in BTS... it would not have concerned me as much as it seeming to imply something entirely different.

Plus directly refering to the Penelope story, also implies we are trying to deceive in it, compared to all of us, simply creating something together.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join