It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much ammo is enough?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

Well you keep what you kill I say. If the M16 isn't damaged(And regardless of firearm training you can tell) you can use it. You can use anything found in an ammo can most likely.

The only thing I would be wary of is booby traps.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by CA_Orot

Well you keep what you kill I say. If the M16 isn't damaged(And regardless of firearm training you can tell) you can use it. You can use anything found in an ammo can most likely.

The only thing I would be wary of is booby traps.

You live in Reno. Think Hawthorne, NV. SIAD out side Susanville, CA. ETC.

If SHTF there are places around the country just like that that have things that we will need.

Just don't take it all,
Me and some ex military friends scoped out every place like it and have them all mapped.

If they train test or store they have a stockpile for there use.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Perhaps I misunderstood your last post, I had assumed you meant rounds found on the ground - litterally.

An M16 (Close to a C7 - military issue, or the .223 - modified civillian issue) can withstand a lot of tortue. No wonder they're given to the troops to haul around in the woods, wade through the rivers, and sleep in the dirt. After doing a thorough inspection of a weapon found, sure, feel free to use the weapon if you deem it safe.

Rounds found in an ammo container, ammo box, ammo Bag? Sure, they have the possibility of being safe. Check them out - but recognize that they have the possibility of being mal-functioning. Are we assuming that these things have been "acquired" from someone else? Or are they abandonded in the middle of the boonies?

What I'm saying is not safe, is finding live rounds on the ground (litterally) that fit your particular firearm and using them. A round on the ground means a round that was not properly discharged, a round that has not been properly discharged runs the risk of malfunction. A malfunction that could be costly in the event if you attempt to use the found round.

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
True. The Armory at Hawthorne is HUGE. It would be beneficial to gain access to it should the SHTF. I'll leave some for you don't worry.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by projectvxn]

[edit on 23-3-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

I would never pick a round off the ground. I mean salvaged equipment from defeated enemies. Keep what you kill in essence.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

OKay
we're on the same page lol.

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The concensus is usually 1000 rds for each rifle for a conflict situation.
But think long term.
Do you have family members or children that you want to supply in the future? Could you defend yourself and your family and hunt food for years if necessary? The cost and availability of guns and ammo may be out of reach in the future. Prepare for conflict but think for the long haul also.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by peecmkr45]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
The only time you have too much ammo is when you're trying to swim. Or you're on fire.

Holy crap thats so funny, and true!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Thanks for the tips and common sense!

I would like to have about 1200-2000 rounds of 22LR on hand
as j2000 recomended, plus I just like shootin' em!
I'm gonna go to town tomorrow and see whats left.
Theres only a couple places to go around here anyway.
Got tired of waiting for my order at cabellas and then got
lucky at the last ammo sale at the farm store awhile ago.
I need some 30.06 for the brother in-laws gun too,
thanks for reminding me!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
There is a reason snipers don't weight themselves down with dozens of clips; if they know where you are they are more than you it's just a matter of time. Not to be a wet blanket but how much time have you spent trying to organize your community so that you wont be picked off one at a time by the 'them' you seem to be preparing to fight all on your own? Without a local militia of sorts that will come to each others aid in times of crisis hoarding bullets is like hoarding money; more a expression of internal insecurity than external threat and certainly not the best means of self defense.

If your going to be serious about fighting world war three and or surviving TEOTWAWKI it's probably best to get a reload kit that can handle all your shell types. Since this is a far more technical job the demand for equipment should be far less and thus perhaps easier to get your hands on.

Stellar

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

I know huh! It is! OMG!
I will remember that forever!
But at the same time it is scary and true!
I love it! I wish I could give out more than one star at a time!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by StellarX

Man you are so right! It comes down to reloading yourself!
Dang(expletive here)I wish I was more on the ball with
making my own!

I plan on taking care of my extended family and maybe
a couple close friends if need be.
If we pooled our resources we could get by I'm sure.
We could trade with the neighbors for stuff also!
Would not be pretty but we could gitter done if we had too.

Edit to add here:
I bought more ammo today! Whee! Theres not much on the shelfs,
but you can find what you need. Just not alot.
Looks like their just doleing it out a little at a time anymore.
Not many guns either.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
There is a reason snipers don't weight themselves down with dozens of clips;

True when your on a slow stalk or crawl..If I was on a crawl by my self I carried a shot gun in my drag bag with 12 rounds along with my rifle and a pistol on my person..If with a spotter,he carried a m-4 with 2-300 rounds and pistol..If in an elevated position such as a building,my spotter also equiped his rifle with a Nade launcher..By choice of course..

BUT I always stached a small cache near the EP if picked up and needed cover fire ...

not tootin my horn just some useless factiods..

[edit on 24-3-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
True when your on a slow stalk or crawl..If I was on a crawl by my self I carried a shot gun in my drag bag with 12 rounds along with my rifle and a pistol on my person..

Six Marine snipers ( 2+ 4, i presume) killed.....

www.nytimes.com...
edition.cnn.com...
www.strategypage.com...

Never know for sure, what happened there, but having a few people capable of accurate fire with or without support teams is again no guarentee that you will get time to use however many rounds your carrying or thousands of rounds you have stockpiled somewhere..

If with a spotter,he carried a m-4 with 2-300 rounds and pistol..If in an elevated position such as a building,my spotter also equiped his rifle with a Nade launcher..By choice of course..

Well since his function is to provide fire ( mostly when the position has been compromised) support during a 'redeployment to the rear', provided a rear can be found, automatic weapons and the like is standard. Not all armed forces can afford sniper teams so at least a few issues their snipers with compact automatic weapons for maveouver.

BUT I always stached a small cache near the EP if picked up and needed cover fire ...

not tootin my horn just some useless factiods..

Not practical in build up areas but obviously small sniper units have no business , as shown above and in my lay reading, being in occupied build up areas any ways. Sorry for the curt response, bit of a hurry here.

Stellar

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
How much ammo is enough for when TSHTF? How much ya got?
When TSHTF we will all need all the ammo we can get our hands on.

TheAssociate

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Never enough.

Keep at least 1000 rounds on hand per gun to practice with. This is your cheap range ammo.

Keep at least 1000 rounds in reserve for each caliber. Buy it, store it, forget it. Preferably at your bug-out location.

If you don't plan on "Bugging-in", you don't need 10,000 rounds of 7.62 on hand. You can't pysically carry it.

If a Bug-out event occurs, my plan is :

1 mag in the AK
5 mags in the mag pouch

1 mag in the 92FS
5 mags in shoulder bag

1 mag in the GSG (.22)
5 mags + 3000 rounds .22 in shoulder bag

When I get to the bug out location, there are 5000 rounds of 7.62 an 9mm waiting. Plus fresh water, game and wild fruit and veggies.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
im going with the popular 1000_RDS per rifle, handguns and shotgun for practice and a additional 1500rds per stashed at you B.O.L/in varrious casches along the way and around the location.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Thanks all! I appreciate your comments and common sense input!
Plus a joke now and then won't hurt too much either I bet!

Might as well enjoy life as we go along, eh?
I'm up to 1000 LR22's now but I plan on going shopping
this weekend for some bigger stuff! Wheewho!!!
Had to get some stuff for the chickens last time!

Dont want to just clean em out of ammo. They might get a little suspicious.
The good ol' boy fellers around here think the NWO is a new video game or something!

The candy is on sale now though...look out!

There is a nice sounding moss in the paper too, dang it!
Oh well I better not even think about that! Dang it.....

Maybe I can butter honey up first with some candy! Hmmm..

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I've never gone through sitX but I lean toward the light side when it comes to what I think I'd need for emergency guns & ammo. I don't know how I'd protect an arsenal if it gets bad and if it takes 1000's of rounds to survive, I doubt the chances of survival are very good. Target practice? Seems like that would attract attention, my targets would be very carefully chosen.

I'd try to hang on to a couple of .22's (rifle and pistol) and a stout rifle. Couple bricks for the .22's and a hundred or so for the big gun. If that isn't enough, it's probably time to leave anyway.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
What is the cheapest ammo that is in relative supply is the question. I believe that if Situation-x ever occurs the majority of ammo will be used up in the first month. After that there won't be a lot left. From experience and personal use I suggest getting these two weapons an ammo.

Handgun: CZ-52 7.62x25 (tin of 1224 Rounds: $159.97)
Average Price of weapon: $150-$250 (usually on the lower end)

Rifle: Kalashnikov AK-47 (Russian built) 7.62x39 (1000 rounds= $185.00-$276.00)
Average Price of weapon: $500-$800

The ammo for both weapons is dirt cheap, comes sealed in metal corrosion resistant tins. And has excellent armor penetration. The Tokarev round (pistol 7.62x25) has enough penetration power to disable Level IIA body armor. And the AK does as well.

Why you shouldn't buy that Model 1911, or the .44 Revolver: The round is designed to mushroom on impact creating maximum dispersion of energy. Which is great when you have a clean shot at an unarmored target. But when you don't have the advantage, have to shoot through a car door, a wall, any obstruction you want maximum penetration and projectile integrity.

In conclusion the overall package of both weapons and ammo is on average $1500-$2500 cheaper than a 1911 Pistol and AR-15 package. And both packages are comparable in reliability except the CZ52 and AK-47 are extremely easy to repair and maintain. Just think how much more of the cheap ammo you could buy with $2K extra on hand.

Sources:
wideners.com...|830|852
www.cheaperthandirt.com...
www.brassfetcher.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join