It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Penalty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Whats everyones opinion on the death penalty?
Just wondering.

XAOS

[Edited on 1-2-2003 by xaos]

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The Death Penalty should only be used for crimes that are way above what we would describe as serious, possibly along the lines of mass murder, treason resulting in large loss of life, and also terrorism against a countries subjects.

There would also need to be concrete evidence to back this up before the crminal is executed.

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Murder, rape, child molestation and riving slowly in the fast lane. Definitely for driving slowly in the fast lane.

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I just think that the death penalty is hypocritical, it's saying the government has the right to kill someone, but the man on the street can't, plus life in prison is so much more of a punishment than a quick liberation from suffering in this life.

XAOS

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm not pro-death penalty. For a simple good reason.

What will you do if the man/woman WAS INNOCENT ???????

What will you say to his/her familly ????

" Oups, sorry. We did a mistake. " ????

The crime is really horrible ? Ok, He/she stay in jail for the rest of his/her live.

Wasn't guilty ?

Everybody, even the "justice " can do some errors. But in this case, an innocent is still alive.

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm pro-death penalty only if...

1)The crime is very serious such as, multiple murder, rape, child molestation, the murder of a child, treason, and being convicted of terrorism.

2.) If there is enough evidence to prove that the man is guilty.

Like Timothy McVeigh, he deserved death. I would've had him shot a few times... Prison is not good enough for sdome crimes. Harsh punshiments would be better,

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
I'm pro-death penalty only if...

1)The crime is very serious such as, multiple murder, rape, child molestation, the murder of a child, treason, and being convicted of terrorism.

2.) If there is enough evidence to prove that the man is guilty.

Like Timothy McVeigh, he deserved death. I would've had him shot a few times... Prison is not good enough for sdome crimes. Harsh punshiments would be better,

1) Emotional reactions. But I understand, I'm a father too. So, if you "do" something to my daughter, I'll kill you. But I'm still saying "NO" to the death penalty. Becaus too much innocents peoples have been killed by the " justice "

2) Well, I hope for you that you will never hear that McVeigh was innocent.

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I agree with UP, emotional reactions can lead to mistakes, plus afterwards the death of this person will haunt you, even if it was called for.

The person is not immortal, he/she will die eventually, and isn't life in a maximum security prison worse than the mercy of death?

XAOS

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Xaos? Have you ever seen a max sec prison? They have it easy. In mid or low sec they will take it in the @ss from Bubba. In max, they won't for that doesn't go on there.

Saw a special on Discovery. On Max Security prisons. One didn't even lock the doors on the cells for they don't worry about them escaping. They have T.V.'s, they have books, they can walk around all day or sit in their room all day and watch T.V. What a punishment! Sitting around watching T.V. while being fed food you don't have to make all day. I wish I could get life there.

Also, if they are convicted by a court, that means proof. If proof and conviction, they are guilty. Also, no more of this needle or gas. Go back to Old Sparky or Drawn and Quartered. Maybe beheading.

And for what worthy? 1st degree murder, multi rape, terrorism. Not child molestation. Cathpolic church does that all the time and seven out of over 5 dozen get defrocked. That's it. Actually, add conning people out of billions of dollars a year.

No more Christianity! Hahahahahahahahahahaha! They con people out of billions a year and get away with it. Why is that? If Christian you can rape, con, molest, and commit other crimes without getting in trouble? I mean, come on. "You don't give me money, you go to hell!" Then getting a few billion dollars sounds like a con job to me. Or "Bend over and squeel like an alter boy" sounds like rape to me, and with a kid, it is statutary and child molestation.

posted on Feb, 3 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Does it really matter when a man dies?

He will die eventually, killing someone is just helping him achieve this state quicker, as long as he is alive, he will regret his murders, or other such things, isn't this much worse than quick oblivion?

The death penalty is not a punishment to the murderer, he is not aware of his punishment, the only people harmed by his death are his family, and sometimes not even them are distraught by his death. The only people who ent this person to die are his victims, and they rise to this because of fast coming and fast leaving emotions.

The death penalty supports the principle of "an eye for an eye" but is this principle really useful in todays society? It is looked down upon when used in ireland, the middle east or elsewhere, but people agree with it when it comes to the death penalty?

Capital Punishment is an antiquated institution that doesnt belong in modern times. If someone did something truly horrible then it weigh on his conscience until the day he died, if it doesnt then he is insane and we don't execute crazy people do we?

XAOS

posted on Feb, 3 2003 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I think instead of killing people..we should put them to work in hard forced labor camps. Have them do something constructive..Build new schools, do toxic cleanups, hell make em tread like hamsters on wheels to generate power for cities. Death would be too easy. If they refuse to work, then maybe kill em.

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 03:52 AM
link   
-LE MARQUIS DE SADE (A french truly psychopatic upper class revolutionnary) disait :

I'm against death penalty because :
If you kill someone who kill, then you become a killer (You continue to kill...) And by this way ain't no end.
BUT I approve NECESSARY CRIME (Like when CHARLOTTE DE CORDAY killed MARAT) and DUEL PENALTY FOR BIZNESS ANF LOVE AFFAIR.

Le marquis DE SADE (who wasn't as free as sometimes you think) passed 30 years in prison :

He wad accused to killed (poison) the husband of his waitress (MAITRESSE?).
French 1789july 14th freed him.
But in 1790, he was accused of depravation and go ack in jail.

You can check at xmb.abovetopsecret.com... for a joke about death penalty

Nans 2 C In FRANCE

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Death penalty is wrong. Death is an escape for the killer or criminal, what punishment can be taken from a dead man? the silence of death is a gift to a killer so why give them the easy way out.

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Non-violent crimes would still use the prison system. You go in, do your time, then released (and hopefully, you never want to go back...end all this gyms to get stronger, entertainment, and other nonsense) Let them have libraries, and TV (but just for news), but not shows, etc. Not to mention put them to work.

For the most violent criminals, however (rapists, murderers, child molesters, terrorists), would be dropped onto a high security island/s in shark infested waters, with a nice high-voltage fence, and machine gun towers around the perimeter. Since they don't want to live by society's rules, and instead live like animals, then that is how they shall live. They'd have to live with others like them, find and keep their own food, etc. There could even be different levels of these islands, depending on the severity of the violent crime. No death penalty, beyond dying at the hands of other animals like the criminal...

Though not an ardent supporter of the death penalty...I'm not vehemently opposed to it either.

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I believe in the death penalty, but only when there is solid proof that the person is guilty of their crimes to deserve it. Oh, and xaos, don't you remember the reporters who got to interveiw McVeigh before he died? He said he had no regret of what he did. So, are you going to let him live, when the people who lost family are going on without their loved ones? Think of how they feel, holding their child in their arms as they die slowly on a hospital bed? Think about it, please.

Oh yeah, and Nebraska is the only state supporting electric chair.....

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
i used to be a huge supporter of the death penalty, however my hear has changed. i used to support it for murder, rape, and child molestation. i have thought long and hard about this and have come up with a new thought for child molesters. give them life and have them wear a different colored jump suit and put them in gen-pop in prison. one thing i do know about prisons is even though they're all criminals most don't approve of child molesters, so let the prisoners do whatever it is they do to child molesters. for the other people that would get the death penalty, life in a forced labor camp sounds good to me, 6hrs sleep and 18hrs work.

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Keep it at mind, many peoples who were sentenced to death, were INNOCENT !

Even for rape, child molestation and all the other horrible crimes, if you kill the man/woman, and that he/she was innocent, what will you do ?

The death penalty is not reversible

If it was your father, brother,mother, sister, husband or wife, who sentenced to death while he/she's innocent, what would you do/think ?

OTH, if someone kill my mother, father, daughter...etc..., I don't want that the gov kill him/her. I want to do it MYSELF ! I know, that's a contradiction. I'm against the death penalty, but I'm ready to kill. Don't ask me why...

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I used to support the death penalty, but no longer believe that it accomplishes anything except to satiate the need for revenge of the victims and their families. I resent having my tax money used to house murderers, rapists, paedophiles and terrorists � but see no other options.

I agree with UP, that is some cases the accused may be innocent.

I also agree with Gazrok, that placing violent or dangerous offenders on a remote island with extremely little comfort for the rest of their lives would be a fitting punishment.

Just thinking about Papillion or Midnight Express provides an appropriate visual aid.

Food for Thought,
Deep

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Kill `em all...

But really, the death penalty isn't the worst thing that could happen to someone. One could be so lucky to die four years after conviction. Life in prison is the worst however, it cost a lot of money and also it leaves more of a chance for escape......There is no wrong or right to the debate.

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 09:26 AM
link   
LET GOD AND HIS ANGELS DO THEM WORK...

The PATH of the rightous man is recompensed...
And EVIL never got nothing but evil as mercy...

WORLD HURTS !!! And HELL IS HOT...

Instead I'm AGAINST death penalty...

Life in prison isn't as hard as you say :

FOOD : FREE, TV : FREE

I THINK Life in streets is HARDER than life in prison...

[Edited on 7-2-2003 by Nans DESMICHELS]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join