It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's that sound? Possible NY meteorite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
NY Meteorite

Posted: March 09, 2009 - 8:42 AM

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- Thought your neighbor's party was getting way out of hand?

A loud "boom" heard in Westchester County over the weekend might have been a meteorite.

The sound early Saturday has been likened to a window-rattling explosion.

Police and The Journal News got a flurry of reports from people in Scarsdale, Mount Vernon, Yonkers, Tuckahoe, Eastchester and Bronxville.

Weather officials say there was no thunder in the area at the time.

Liz Holland of Mount Kisco says she was looking out her window around 12:30 a.m. Saturday. She saw a brilliant yellow object streaking through the sky.

An official from the Rockland Astronomy Club says yellow is a typical color for a meteorite.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
There seems to be an increasing amount o meteor activity lately. This as well as the Austin meteor. Either we are not detecting these things in time or a meteor entering our atmosphere is not a big enough deal. Good post

-E-

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Happens all the time I guess but I do think we are in a bit of a cloud of debris. I saw an animated display of the inner solar system with asteroids and comets depicted and that seemed to be what it showed. Space is kind of big though so the odds are in our favor.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Yessiree, this will all be used for justification of the new space based weapons system that we will "desperately need" to fight the big bad meteors.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
With all these recent reports of booms, windows rattling, meteorites, and brick-sized chunks falling through roofs, is it possible they're debris from the satellite collison last month? Whatever the cause, it seems plausable some are at least related.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join