It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals told to leave: An instructor for a hunter safety course orders Obama voters to get out of h

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, was just banned from attending a seminar at the University of Oklahoma. Here is what the state had to say for themselves:

scienceblogs.com...

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE 1ST SESSION OF THE 52ND OKLAHOMA LEGISLATURE:

THAT the Oklahoma House of Representative strongly opposes the invitation to speak on the campus of the University of Oklahoma to Richard Dawkins of Oxford University, whose published statements on the theory of evolution and opinion about those who do not believe in the theory are contrary and offensive to the views and opinions of most citizens of Oklahoma.

THAT the Oklahoma House of Representatives encourages the University of Oklahoma to engage in an open, dignified, and fair discussion of the Darwinian theory of evolution and all other scientific theories which is the approach that a public institution should be engaged in and which represents the desire and interest of the citizens of Oklahoma.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I don't see a problem with this. It's his class. It's a private business. He can refuse service to anybody for any reason as far as I am concerned. I'm not sure this is a good business decision, however. And, no, don't anyone try to make a connection about what if the student was black or something like that. We know he can't do that. Right?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo67
fighting on the internet is like winning the special olympics. even if you win your still..........

What a vulgar and vile statement. I suppose you can't really help it if your gene pool only has a shallow end.

Obviously you don't know or have any family members who are mentally or physically impaired or you wouldn't propagate such trash.

Anyone who makes statements like that should be forewarned, "Karma is a boomerang."

Regards...KK

[edit on 8-3-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

Then again...yoga and guns don't have much in common.

I beg to differ.

Your body can be used as a tool, just as can a gun.

Yoga requires steady concentration, breathing, body control, discipline and a cool head and more.

So does handling a gun if you‘re going to do it correctly.

Causing harm or death in an out of control or passionate moment or meaningfully creating harm/abuse is wrong whether that’s using your body, a gun, a microwave, a car, etc.

The fact that when a gun is used pushes people over the rational edge is beyond me.

Once again, it’s not the gun that kills, it’s the person behind it.

peace

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
We are one people. One tribe. One. I sometimes wonder when we will figure that out. We should be able to disagree without being intolerant of different views.

Disagreement is great. I believe in the exchange of ideas and ideologies each view challenges the other and themselves..it shines a light on all the faults and virtues of a given idea, position or political view.

I have no respect for anyone that refuses the discussion and would rather insult and dismiss someone for having different views rather than engage them in discussion or debate.

Intolerance is usually based in fear in that regard. Someone who desperately holds onto their precious world view and fears it would crumble if challenged. So much easier to dismiss and ignore someone.

This instructor wasted an opportunity to teach someone about the virtues of responsible gun ownership. But apparently he even has fear of his own ability to teach.

His prerogative, but an idiot all the same.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

This instructor wasted an opportunity to teach someone about the virtues of responsible gun ownership. But apparently he even has fear of his own ability to teach.

That's your opinion. If you were to ask the gun owner or his buddies who agree with him they would most likely heartily disagree with you and say they stood up for what they believed in.

In this world, we're always reading about bad news and we're always asking ourselves and each other "when are we going to stop being so aloof and start speaking out?"

Well, this guy spoke out and took a stand for something he believed in. It's not something you or I would have done because it seems rather extreme to throw someone out of a class for voting a certain way, but should he be chastized for speaking out for what he believes in? I don't think so. Will he lose business for it? Maybe. He might also have like-minded folks seeking him out and the media gave him exactly what he wanted - publicity.

And to call him an idiot ... your opinion, again. Who's the real idiot here, the guy who vocally stands up for what he believes in or the media that gives him some free advertising?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Starred.

IMO the best post on this thread so far.

The only one to step back far enough to see the forest for the trees.

Freedoms don't mean freedom from other people's reactions to exercising your freedoms. This guy perhaps faces some economic consequences for his actions, just as it seems people that (admit they) voted for obama faces some consequences.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Well, this guy spoke out and took a stand for something he believed in. It's not something you or I would have done because it seems rather extreme to throw someone out of a class for voting a certain way, but should he be chastized for speaking out for what he believes in? I don't think so.

The question that begs is, is this legal? Throwing someone out because of how they voted? I'm pretty sure that any half competent lawyer could nail this one without breaking a sweat.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

If it's a private organization, then it's perfectly legal. Believe it or not, private companies and organizations can pick and choose their customers.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Really? Ok, that blows my mind though. With all the PC crap the last few decades I would have thought that it was illegal. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

I don't think You know what You are talking about. Liberals expect everyone to be adults? Boy is that a bunch of hog wash its liberals that keep wanting more and more social spending. As a matter of fact if it wasn't for liberals We wouldn't have unjust wars in the first place. The best way to stop the wars is to end the TAXES but oh no we can't have that We have to take care of all the children in adult bodies that can't take care of them selves. Oh btw Liberals are for individual freedom thats BS too because I am forced to work like a slave while yet again some liberal is stealing money out of my pocket to take care of their 8 children all with different fathers .....

Oh I am not a republican either I am a conservative which there is a LARGE difference especially since Bush and crew were the biggest fiscal liberals ever if You are not counting Lord Obama.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

We are one people. One tribe. One. I sometimes wonder when we will figure that out. We should be able to disagree without being intolerant of different views.

Disagreement is great. I believe in the exchange of ideas and ideologies each view challenges the other and themselves..it shines a light on all the faults and virtues of a given idea, position or political view.

I have no respect for anyone that refuses the discussion and would rather insult and dismiss someone for having different views rather than engage them in discussion or debate.

Intolerance is usually based in fear in that regard. Someone who desperately holds onto their precious world view and fears it would crumble if challenged. So much easier to dismiss and ignore someone.

Wrong We are not one people or tribe. We have three groups in this country. We have the Ruling class, Working class, & the welfare class. The ruling class uses the welfare class to achieve power at the expense of the working class. So I am sorry I am not even in the same class or group as the rulers and the eaters and to be honest I just wished I had my own country where people like me would be free and rewarded instead of penalized for our sacrifice and hard work.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkm1864

Wrong We are not one people or tribe. We have three groups in this country. We have the Ruling class, Working class, & the welfare class. The ruling class uses the welfare class to achieve power at the expense of the working class. So I am sorry I am not even in the same class or group as the rulers and the eaters and to be honest I just wished I had my own country where people like me would be free and rewarded instead of penalized for our sacrifice and hard work.

Boy, ain't that the truth. Starred.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jkm1864

Thanks for the reply and for your opinion.
It's pretty easy to call someone names and such.
What is hard is learning humbleness and humility.
THATS the underlying problem your trying to get at, I hope.
And dont forget just the plain ol' greed behind it all.

I don't think You know what You are talking about. Liberals expect everyone to be adults? Boy is that a bunch of hog wash its liberals that keep wanting more and more social spending. As a matter of fact if it wasn't for liberals We wouldn't have unjust wars in the first place.

I hope when your luck changes, some "liberal" will be
nice to you and offer to help you out. Yes liberals believe
everyone has rights as well as brains, not just the rich and powerfull.
The liberals want to tax the rich their fair share and
give it to the middle class and poor.
I can understand if you make over 250,000 a year. All about the money.
If we didn't have liberals we wouldn't have:
equal rights,human rights,drinkable water, breathable air, a tree,a forest, an animal,an environment,polar ice,polar bears and open minds,
no seperation of church and state,segregation,even more deregulation,
what am I forgetting? I'll be thinking some....OH YA...!
WE would have ALOT fewer wars!!!

The best way to stop the wars is to end the TAXES but oh no we can't have that We have to take care of all the children in adult bodies that can't take care of them selves.

Are you still sure about your assessment of ME?
Can you at least use a period or comma where it belongs?
Then I know I'm talking to an adult on here, plus its easier to decipher.
Seems like you got several issues all globbed together.
Good to hear it sounds like you don't trust any politician!
Too bad it took this long for the other 90% to finally
start to realize they dont care about any of us. At all.
P.S. If someone is taking money out of your pocket,
you should wear tighter pants. lol
I'm getting more money back now from the tax cuts myself.
I never did get that under bushie and his crony posse!
Just more for the rich and less for the poor, how compassionate!
(Except for the stimulus/pay off checks we got last year)
They need to give it to the taxpayers instead of the rich.
Just like it's always been, it continues and so does the indifference.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo67
liberals want to take our guns away and yet one goes to a republican to learn how to use one? this doesnt make since.

If he wants his son to learn firearm safety so he can go hunting with his grandfather, he obviously isn't trying to take anyone's guns away. He is ensuring that his son knows how to safely operate a firearm. What warped sense of logic do you operate on?

when military recruiters are kicked off college campuses-that is ok by liberals

People go to college to get their degree, if they were interested in the military they would go to a recruitment office and talk to the recruiter. Just like the father and son went to the safety class to learn firearm safety, not for a political debate.

For the record, I can't believe people still buy into the democrat/republican dialectic, it's not like either party is capable of identifying with us or understanding what's in our best interests.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

be careful with that stimulus money, my mother received some and it was just enough to put her in a higher tax bracket. she ended up owing the government twice what the stimulus check is worth.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I feel bad for the kid who wasn't able to attend the course because of his dad's political views.

On the other hand, seeing the utter destruction Obama has been dealing the US economy, the father should have never acknowledged he voted for Obama, and maintained his shame in secret.

I will not work for some people. One very wealthy lady seemed to have a high opinion of herself, and when I overheard a comment to one of my employees, I told them to load everything back on the trucks.

She asked what I was doing.

"We're leaving."

"No you're not! I'm paying you good money to do this!@"

"Lady you don't have enough money for me to work for you."

"Well I've never been talked to that way."

"And that's the problem."

I'm not saying the guy was right or wrong, but it sounds a bit to me that there's more to this story than is being told. Even if there isn't, it's a free country, and you don't have to teach anyone you don't want to.

Too bad. The kid is the loser in this deal.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
While what this guy is doing is absurd and irresponsible, and silly that you can't seperate your political life from your business life, he does have a right.

All I can say is, I hope he isn't one of these people running around saying he is a patriot and supports freedom, because there is nothing free and patriotic by discriminating and censoring against people.

Then he is a hypocrite to the third degree.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Having skimmed through this thread, I believe that there is not one person who bothered to read the entire article.

Despite claiming to be an Oklahoman, the OP quotes half the article and then makes this broad sweeping condemnation of his state, which is in itself a statement of the vilest sort of bigotry.

Oklahoma has served up yet another plate of flaming dog doo for me to retch over. Oklahoma is the reddest state in the nation and it shows. The paranoia and anti-intellectualism are at an all time high. I am a native Oklahoman, liberal, gun owner and yet I don't feel threatened by President Obama. I love my guns. I would say that the fear of Obama is the new homophobia. As is the case with the hunting instructor, there are some serious Freudian issues at play here.

www.tulsaworld.com...

What about, as Paul Harvey would say, "the rest of the story?"

Kell Wolf, the instructor in question was a volunteer for the hunter education program of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation and he acted without authority in this matter.

When the incident came to the attention of Lance Meek, hunter education coordinator for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, Wolf was immediately dismissed.

Not only that, but Lance Dunkley was offered a private class so that he could take the hunter education class and get his hunting license.

I would say that it is wrong for a poster to use the action of one man acting without authority as a springboard for assailing the citizens of an entire state, when the state acted swiftly to not only dismiss the offender, but to rectify the situation.

Stacy Reddy, Daniel Reddy's wife and Lane Dunkley's mother, said the family was surprised by how quickly the wildlife department acted.

"Lance Meek called and apologized up and down and wanted to know what they could do to make it right," she said.

"The only thing we really wanted was for my son to be able to take the hunter safety course, and there wasn't another one in the Tulsa area with an opening for the rest of 2009."

So Meek arranged for a private class

"They called and said they'd meet us any time, anywhere," said Daniel Reddy. "Their response has been exemplary. It has really restored my faith in government."

www.tulsaworld.com...

I don't know if the OP purposely excluded the latter half of the article as an excuse to bash an entire state or if he just read as much as he needed to justify the opportunity to vent his own prejudice.

In any case, someone should have noticed and that really disappoints me.

Moreover, those who do not feel that their gun rights are threatened by the current administration are not aware of the facts. Obama has appointed some the most anti-Second Amendment people to his administration one can imagine

The Attorney General and the Secretary of State are but two high-profile examples and there are very many more.

Just take a stroll through this Google search for the truth:

/ctpe3b

[edit on 2009/3/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
reply to post by intrepid

If it's a private organization, then it's perfectly legal. Believe it or not, private companies and organizations can pick and choose their customers.

Wow. Thats pretty amazing. Try telling a black man that you're not going to let him into your church next time. hey - it's a private organization.

Tell that legal mexican immigrant that you're not going to hire him because he's a mexican....hey you're private business, that's okay, isn't it?

Oh, and here's a classic one:

A former student at the Rhode Island College School of Social Work is suing the school and several of his professors for discrimination, saying he was persecuted by the school's "liberal political machine" for being a conservative.

William Felkner, 45, says the New England college and six professors wouldn't approve his final project on welfare reform because he was on the "wrong" side of political issues and countered the school's "progressive" liberal agenda.
source

I bet in this instance, you side with the kid who got the failing grade. Perhaps because he is a conservative?

Pfft. Nice objective opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join