It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something growing on Mars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
Interesting
The bigger, middle one - looks like a volcano.

Perhaps that is why the caption at Hirise says

This HiRISE image was intended to investigate the nature of the volcanic materials at this location. However, the image was taken in early spring for this location in the southern hemisphere and so the ground is covered with bright frost except for some dark splotches found in discrete patches. This is where the sunlight has penetrated the frost and initiated defrosting around discrete spots.

but it also says..

Clearly something is different about the patches where this defrosting has started before any other locations. One possibility is that these are (frost covered) dark sand dunes that heat up more easily than the surrounding terrain. However, we will need to take a new image in the summer time to really know what is happening here

They don't know for sure.

As to giant trees on Mars? Hmmmm well someone is stacking timbers

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Also any type of plant growth on Mars could be determined by weather conditions for that Martian year and they die and stay dormant for a few years at a time. Who knows the sand blows and covers them?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
course if you wanna know why there's methane...

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
course if you wanna know why there's methane...

Don't you ever! Ever! EVER! Post something that slanders the federation ever again!

Take that Back Now!

I want an apology!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage Have at it with your crayons.

Okey dokey...

How's that?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

no offense to the Federation was intended. The Mini Methane Cows were supposed to be the stars of that still.

(I am a huge trek fan btw.. most of my personal modeling is redo of the classic ships and stations)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

caveo Nos es non promptus! vicis est intensely near. Orbis terrarum must nunquam teneo quam nos mos preoccupo
>>>And that means 'what'?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

So they aren't giant trees but rain forests?

Brazil? But of course, you wouldn't come out and tell us that, would you.

Cute.

There is only a superficial resemblance. I don't see any large rivers being fed in the Mars image. The Martian patterns are converging radially inward, not randomly outward like in yours.

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
[edit on 3/6/2009 by Mr Knowledge]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Mars...

It's the new heaven and earth. In 1000 years, it will be complete.

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Mr Knowledge]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I would be nice to know if I looking at something the size a grain of rice
or Africa.

But, I would not be surprised if it was something as simple as frozen
gas thawing out.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Knowledge

OK...

I'm all for life on Mars and maybe some shrubs but the new Earth?
I'm thinking that maybe Mars was more like in our distant past as far as a connection and only in our future after massive Terra Forming.

SLAYER
Heavy on the SCI with a tint of the FI

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
That looks like that pesky black mold that everyone is worried about down here on earth. Better kill it all before it spreads!

More seriously, I think that it is very likely that some form of fungi or lichen exists on Mars. Wasn't there a recent finding that some types of earth lichens might be able to survive on Mars? I'll look for the story and post it if I find it.

This all looks like controlled release of information to me. 1976, Viking lands on Mars, and NASA announces that 2 of 3 tests show a possitive result for life, then they recanted. 1996, NASA announces that fossile life from Mars was found in a meteor. Then they recanted. More recently we learn that Mars has water ice in relative abundance, and has traces of methane that might indicate biological in origin. The discovery of bacterial life would be the logical next step in a controlled release of alien life on Mars.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

OK, I did find a lot about lichen and the possibility that it could grow on Mars. I even found articles that talked about the ESA project that took some lichen samples into space and exposed them to space conditions for two weeks. When they brought the samples back, they were able to revive the lichen. So, it is very possible that some sort of lichen or mold could grow on Mars.

Here is a link,www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1535164/

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Clearly stated in the documentation in your link, they state that these are a thawing volcano, they never mention anything about organic properties.

Did you even read the information on your link? heh

To me it looks like Volcanic rock formations being uncovered.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I'm willing to bet its algae, which would also explain the "trees." Even the trees on mars look like algae since they are in that weird splotch shape on the pictures. Also I back up that theory by saying algae only needs water, sun, and CO2 to grow which means algae could be abundant in place where there is water on mars like in the ice on mars (since its theorized that there is water ice underneath the carbon dioxide ice).

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

They don't know for sure.

As to giant trees on Mars? Hmmmm well someone is stacking timbers

If you've ever looked at the shape of the rocks around Mars there are tons of weird ones like that that can look like something else to the imaginative eye (like a stack of timbers lol) which I'm not saying some of the pictures like the skull rock or the snake head shaped thing leaning on a rock aren't real. I wish we could start a large scale archeological dig on Mars, maybe find more than the occasional odd rock

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Here is a progressive zoom of the "trees" (from PSP_003443_0980, in 2007). Clarke was wrong, they are geological features. Have at it with your crayons.

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Phage]

hmm... eroded craters maybe?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

The color enhanced photo almost looks like crystallization, maybe minerals/salts dried as the ice melted or something...but the scale of the first pic would be crazy huge...so who knows...shadows...martian junk...?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

giant mutant asparagus!

www.timesonline.co.uk...

they give a favorable analysis of the martian soil.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join