It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.50 GI Model

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
www.guncrafterindustries.com...

This is beautiful, so beautiful. A custom made 1911 that fires .50 cal. Imagine the firepower.

en.wikipedia.org...

Imagine a super size 1911 that is double stack that can hold twice the capacity of a mag of 14 rounds of .50s instead of 7.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The .50 GI ammo with a hot reload would make one heck of close quarters sub machine gun cartridge. It would be the ultimate weapon for heavily overgrown jungle warfare as well.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Everyone I know who's fired a .50 Desert Eagle or other .50 says the kick & muzzle-climb are so bad, it's almost impossible to hit a damn thing on your second shot, and the magazine capacity is limited by having to hold such a massive round.

.50 pistols are more of a goofy fun novelty item than anything else, the military & police don't use them for a reason.

For handguns, anything much bigger than .45 ACP tends to get impractical.

LEO's don't even use .44 magnum anymore, for that reason.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
That's true but this isn't a magnum round, and is more comparable to a .45 ACP than the .50 AE. The GI casing is slightly shorter, but wider than the .45. It operates about the same pressures as .45 and hits with comparable energy, but I've read hot loads can almost rival .44 mag territory!

en.wikipedia.org...

Good picture comparison

[edit on 5-3-2009 by warpboost]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I suppose that's a bit more practical then, but I still think it's overkill for most tactical purposes.

Then again, if you live in a place that has a lot of problems with grizzly bears amped up on meth & PCP, I can see it coming in handy

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Man, that's a nice looking round.
Anyone have ballistic data for it?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The .50GI is the answer to a question that was never asked. It's a gonzo round, with zero usefulness, IMO. How often do you hear complaints about the terminal performance of the .45 ACP? It's a fringe cartidge for well-heeled gun nuts, and will never gain acceptance as a serious defensive cartridge. Sure, you can blow big holes in people with it. But it takes up a lot of space, making it difficult to put into a gun that people with reasonably-sized hands can fire. It has heavy recoil, so it's controllability in defensive encounters is questionable. It generates a lot of energy, so it's more expensive to produce weapons that can safely handle the pressures.

For those that like it, more power to you! It does have a "cool" factor to it. And it might work as a bear gun. But the general trend for defensive calibers is smaller, not larger.

top topics

join