It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheyene Back graffiti girls conviction quashed, on good behaviour bond

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Cheyene Back graffiti Girl conviction quashed, on good behaviour bond

www.news.com.au

AN 18-year-old who was jailed for three months for putting graffiti on a city cafe wall has had that sentence overturned.

Cheyene Back was handed the sentence in the Downing Centre Local Court last month for tagging a wall at the Hyde Park Café, despite having no prior offences on her record.

Photos - Cheyene Back and her life

Her lawyer appealed the severity of the sentence, arguing it was not appropriate and that she had already vowed she would never do it again.

District Court Judge Greg Hosking quashed the conviction and instead released Ms Back on a 12-month good behaviour bond.

“It is unusual in the extreme for a woman as young as this with no criminal convictions to be sentenced to a term of imprisonment for putting graffiti on a wall,” he said.

“That kind of penalty fails completely to understand the appropriate range of sentence options.”

However, he noted the court did not condone her behaviour.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-3-2009 by smokingman2006]

[edit on 4-3-2009 by smokingman2006]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
some sense in this case after all the graffiti girl has had her conviction over turned by a judge with common sense.

good to see there are still sane people around.

I wonder how much tax payer money was wasted on this case.

It did draw wroldwide attention and this could be why there was such a turn around in the affair.

peace&hope
SM

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

I agree this case was such a joke there was no reason to take it as far as it went. Make the girl clean up the damage and do community service instead of wasting money on court cases.

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 4-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Don't worry about how much taxpayers money was wasted on the case. Worry about the sheer amount of taxpayers money that is wasted on cleaning up after these little graffiti gangs.

Where I live, (in a good neighborhood) the council and residents wastes thousands and thousands a month repainting stuff that these little sh*ts deface all in the name of low self esteem. What a way to leave your mark on the world. Honestly.

18 months ago, we didn't have a single tag anywhere. Now we are plagued by these a-holes who's only objective is to lower property prices and make our beautiful town look like a low class ghetto.

I wish the sentence was not overturned. This out of control youth needs to understand the nature of Cause and Effect. Action- Reaction, Consequence!

Effect: Your in Jail.
Cause: You thought it would be fun and rep building to deface/damage private and council property with your unsightly tags. Not so smart after all huh!

Fine the parents too I say! These losers should never of had children! When your a victim of graffiti, you wont have such a bleeding heart! And it's not for us to understand them, they live in an adults world. It's for these useless kids to understand the world around them - and right from wrong.

IRM

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Fine the parents too I say! These losers should never of had children! When your a victim of graffiti, you wont have such a bleeding heart! And it's not for us to understand them, they live in an adults world. It's for these useless kids to understand the world around them - and right from wrong.

IRM

It's the parents fault that their adult daughter did graffiti? Lets fine all the parents when their kids do something bad even if they are adults? That would not work very well. And the parents could very well be great people so saying they are losers and should never had children is more than over the top.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
It's the parents fault that their adult daughter did graffiti? Lets fine all the parents when their kids do something bad even if they are adults? That would not work very well. And the parents could very well be great people so saying they are losers and should never had children is more than over the top.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

If they are under the age of 18, then yes, they should be the responsibility of the parents. If the parents don't bring their kids up learning right from wrong, then they should reap the seeds they sow. Parents need to be accountable. It's too easy to look the other way as some parents in my area obviously have. What are 13/16 year old boys doing out at 4am in the morning? Surely that is the parents fault!

Tell me, are you a victim of graffiti like me? Have graffiti vandals personally cost you thousands of dollars?

IRM

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   

I am not a victim of graffiti but my house and car have been vandalized over the years so I do understand how aggravating it can be. I have woken up to a busted out car window and my CD player ripped out multiple times and I live in a nice neighborhood.

I agree that parents should be able to keep control of underage kids and if they do not then there should be a penalty, but anyone over the age of 18 is responsible for their actions and not their parents.

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 4-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation

I am not a victim of graffiti but my house and car have been vandalized over the years so I do understand how aggravating it can be. I have woken up to a busted out car window and my CD player ripped out multiple times and I live in a nice neighborhood.

I feel your pain! I've had my car given the once over before too... but that was in a different neighborhood. When I was growing up, I would never conceived doing such things to other people...

I was never speaking in regards to kids over the age of 18. My apologies if my first post read that way.

I find it hard to reconcile people continuing with graffiti after the age of 18. Don't get me wrong I really love 'proper' street art. Some of it can be really attractive in the correct place or context. Tagging however, which is what my community is dealing with, is another story.

If parents wished to know if their kids were perpetrating this type of vandalism on the community, they need not go any further than their child's exercise books. They nearly ALWAYS practice their tags in them. This is where schools could also play a proactive role in weeding out the perps.

IRM

[edit on 4/3/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Hey, I am no fan of Graffiti myself and think it is ugly and senseless but putting some behind bars for it and letting someone like maddoff who has ripped off over 50 billion dollars stay free is just wrong

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by smokingman2006

I agree in part, but some guy committing white collar crimes does not decrease the graffiti crimes and their toll on the community. It really isn't useful to compare the two.

IRM

new topics

top topics

join