It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine One blueprints and avionics leaked to Iran through peer-to-peer network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Marine One blueprints and avionics leaked to Iran through peer-to-peer network

rawstory.com

Thanks to a defense contractor's errant use of a peer-to-peer file-sharing network, President Obama's helicopter may not be as safe as it looks.

A Pittsburgh-area company that monitors peer-to-peer networks accessed with file-sharing software like LimeWire and Napster says it has identified a potentially serious security breach involving Marine One and an IP address in Tehran, Iran.

The company found a file detailing the helicopter's blueprints and avionics package, which it then traced to its original source, Tiversa CEO Bob Boback told NBC affiliate WPXI, which reported the story Saturday.

"What appears to be a defense contractor in Bethesda, MD had a file sharing program on one of their systems that also contained highly sensitive blueprints for Marine One," Boback said. Tiversa also found information detailing the cost of Marine One.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is insane. How the hell could anyone allow such sensitive information to leak out like this? "Batten down the hatches it's post 9-11 out there!" and this is what we get? From Los Alamos losing dozens of sensitive computers, to this, I just don't know what to think about our security detail, and if the last 7 years of so was just a streak of luck.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
OMG! OMG! OMG!

The Iranians know how much Marine One cost. Ahmedinejad might retaliate now by buying an even more expensive model.

Seriously, I am yet to see any relevance to this story past the fact that some idiot put helicopter plans on a P2P server. I mean, what are the Iranians, even if they do indeed have the info, gonna do with it?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Knowing the intimate details of this sensitive air craft is also mentioned in the article IS a relevant and dangerous issue. We don't know what was leaked out exactly, but if it has anything to do with electronics, armor tolerance, mechanics, or flight systems then it can be used as a weapon.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Im not that concerned unless this contractor was involved with defensive systems which tend to be comparmentlaized. If it was basic stuff, most of that could be obtained by buying one of the engineers a drink.

What always concerns me is what got through without being detected

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Same story posted twice already, not getting much attention.:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Sounds like a great excuse to replace those choppers without having to argue about the costs. Wasn't that an issue last week?

Why yes, it was.
Marine One Upgrade Plan Stirs Debate

Problem solved, I guess.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It does sound a little fishy to me as well.

Reminds me of the "Global Warming is a threat to National Security" drivel Al Gore was spewing a couple weeks ago.

Apparently if national security is brought into play, you're considered unpatriotic if you dare question the cost to taxpayers.

Tactics are tactics, I suppose. Fear mongering seems to be all the rage.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Nothing about this story makes sense. They claim that someone at their workplace was using p2p? Even then you have add the file into the uploaded list before it can be send anywhere.
Good point about the upgrade costs, that's the only logical scenario. Why would they be so stupid that they would leak the file in a p2p networks is beyond me though.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Good thing Georgie Bush ordered a new fleet of 11 helicopters before he left office. So these will probably be sold to some other country soon anyway. Maybe they should send them to, I don't know, MEXICO to fight the damn cartels.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Two more stories like this, and they'll have enough to start the push toward making P2P illegal -OR- pass legislation allowing for greater monitoring of P2P networks.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
That makes sense too since the p2p is the new little cousin of the boogyman. This story stinks to high heavens. Does anyone know if it was a torrent or some other network?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Agreed. Any time I see stories like this I think about the legislation these people will file to "protect" the American people. None the less, this is a breach of security, and they need to look to their own reform before they even consider internet legislation.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I didn't even consider the "P2P is a threat to National Security" angle.
Good point, more ammo for them to restrict our freedom of communication.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Let me get this straight....

The ONLY person to download this just HAPPENED to be in Iran?

If I saw a file labeled "Blue-prints for Marine-One/Air Force Once", I'd check it out just for the "Woah! It has THAT?! No way! Check THIS out! That's awesome!" factor.

I would offer four theories on this particular fiasco:

1) New helicopter appropriations.
2) A spy using the "p2p software did it!" defense,
3) False-flag setup.
4) Monitor p2p networks.

Nothing new under the sun.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
How is this a big deal? Are we afraid some Iranian A-Rabs are going to shoot down "The One?"

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Iranian A-rabs huh? Some people should not be given access to information. You may be one of these individuals. Iranians are PERSIANS not Arabs. And if you'd bother doing research on your perceived enemy you'd know that Iran is an advanced PERSIAN nation with indigenous technology. They have their own satellite now, very advanced missile technology. Very advanced and well trained Intelligence services, and so forth and so on. This is a modern civilization, and a regional superpower, meaning, that within it's immediate region Iran calls the shots. Iran calls the shots in Iraq and we're occupying the place.

I'm not inclined to believe the Iranian PEOPLE are my enemy, I'm not sure I feel the same about their government. I don't even think they like their government. But they are a proud people, with technical know-how and an ancient history they're not just going to fold. So yes, I believe there is a danger of such things happening, such an event could justify a whole number of things including the beginning of a world war should any connections to Russia, or China be discovered such as bankrolling operations. These are scenarios which should be contemplated, because if it's not the guy you hate today, it may be the guy you like tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm with Sir_Chancealot and facedoubt on this one. Smells like False Flag 101 given that it came out 2 weeks ago that "Obama faces tough decision on presidential helicopters".

If it is FF, watch as the talking heads carry this story, which normally wouldn't make the gossip column, as if it is something new that government information security is terrible and our enemies (and random stoners like McKinnon) are able to access whatever they want.

Then the helicopter program will be quietly given the green light, and if anybody questions it, "that headline story about Iran having our plans" is what they'll point at for justification.

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
Let me get this straight....

The ONLY person to download this just HAPPENED to be in Iran?

If I saw a file labeled "Blue-prints for Marine-One/Air Force Once", I'd check it out just for the "Woah! It has THAT?! No way! Check THIS out! That's awesome!" factor.

I would offer four theories on this particular fiasco:

1) New helicopter appropriations.
2) A spy using the "p2p software did it!" defense,
3) False-flag setup.
4) Monitor p2p networks.

Nothing new under the sun.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by ChrisR]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Iranian A-rabs huh? Some people should not be given access to information. You may be one of these individuals. Iranians are PERSIANS not Arabs. And if you'd bother doing research on your perceived enemy you'd know that Iran is an advanced PERSIAN nation with indigenous technology. They have their own satellite now, very advanced missile technology. Very advanced and well trained Intelligence services, and so forth and so on. This is a modern civilization, and a regional superpower, meaning, that within it's immediate region Iran calls the shots. Iran calls the shots in Iraq and we're occupying the place.

I'm not inclined to believe the Iranian PEOPLE are my enemy, I'm not sure I feel the same about their government. I don't even think they like their government. But they are a proud people, with technical know-how and an ancient history they're not just going to fold. So yes, I believe there is a danger of such things happening, such an event could justify a whole number of things including the beginning of a world war should any connections to Russia, or China be discovered such as bankrolling operations. These are scenarios which should be contemplated, because if it's not the guy you hate today, it may be the guy you like tomorrow.

Dude, i seriously wish I could neg you...Seriously, grow a f'kn sense of humor.

top topics

join