It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS's view on Theosophy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I am fairly new to these forums, and I am also not sure where this should be posted. I am putting it here because of the nature of so much of what I have read in Theosophy so far.

I am wondering, how many out there are familiar with what Theosophy is, and its content.

The main reason I made it to these forums is because I came across Theosophy, and much of what Theosophy says is directly related to the diverse topics on ATS.

I am really surprised at the lack of references to it, as I thought ATS'ers would be familiar with Theosophy, as it seems like most of the topics here are direct descendants of the teachings of Theosophy.

Many of the main writings and massive volumes from Theosophers are available for free reading online:
theosophy.org...

Topics addressed in theosophy I have come across:

Giants, Atlantis, Astronomy, Climate Change, Polar inversions, Origins of Man, almost anything. Ancient Cultures and their remnants, megaliths and anomalous stone formations. The Theosophists address biblical allegories, and allegories from all ancient writings. Aether, Consciousness, Higher intelligences.

Theosophy seems like an ATS handbook to me.

They are written in a matter of fact way, and acknowledge that no mainstream scientist will admit many of the theories Theosophy teaches.

I think many ATS'ers would thoroughly enjoy checking out Theosophy.

What do you guys think about it?

"Theosophia: Wisdom-religion, or 'Divine Wisdom'. The substratum and basis of all the world-religions and philosophies, taught and practised since man became a thinking being. In its practical bearing, Theosophy is purely divine ethics." - from The Theosophical Glossary, by H. P. Blavatsky, 1892

Theosophy compiles and explains what the ancients tried to pass on.

The more of it I read, the more it explains why certain topics tend to prevail on ATS.

Please, take the time to check it out.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
To believe or not to believe, that is the question. Theosophy is good for some people, but not all. As far as i'm concerned, i don't need it, because i don't believe. I want to know. Knowing is the result of direct experience and the full understanding of that experience.
I'm not saying theosophy is not good. I'm just saying it's not for me.
But, nevertheless, thanks for the link, i'm sure some of the members here will find it interesting.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Generally, from what I can tell, most people here have the same view of Theosophy as they do of Masonry, not good. As far as me personally, I think many of the writings of people like Blavatsky and Steiner have merit. I must admit though, the only exposure that I have had to them is a few articles by Steiner and the book Isis Unveiled by Blavatsky.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Hi, beebs, thanks for bringing it up.

I, personally, though, would stay away from studying the subject because Helen Blavatsky was a satan worshiper according to the following quote of hers from her book, "The Secret Doctrine":

"It is Satan who is the God of our planet and the only God." pages 215, 216, 220, 245, 255, 533, (VI)

Also, another practioner of theosophy, Alice Bailey, and her husband, a 32nd degree freemason, founded the Lucis (Lucifer) Trust which publishes a lot of new age materials, and is closely connected with the UN. The previous address of Lucis Trust was 666 United Nations Plaza.

A lot of Alice Baileys writings were channeled through her contact who she admitted is a demon, Master Djwhal Khul.

Because of this, it would be foolish to become involved in anything to do with theosophy.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Oh yeah, because we all know the "new age" is so eeeeevil. *Shiver*

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sezsue
Hi, beebs, thanks for bringing it up.

I, personally, though, would stay away from studying the subject because Helen Blavatsky was a satan worshiper according to the following quote of hers from her book, "The Secret Doctrine":

"It is Satan who is the God of our planet and the only God." pages 215, 216, 220, 245, 255, 533, (VI)

At least she was honest. If anything, Blavatsky's work is entirely too optimistic.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Yes I can see why mainstream would not accept anything but Christ as good. My impression of Theosophy, after having read through numerous pages(but uncounted numerous to go) is that a Theosophist will not write that something is good, if indeed they have researched it enough and found out otherwise.

Also, you are being a tad ignorant, when you assume that H.P.B. thought Satan was an individual. I think it is people like you that keep Theosophy swept under the rug.

There is the conspiracy. They made people hate Satan, so that anyone who reached a certain amount of intelligence about the ancient allegories could be deemed heretic.

Ancient texts are dealt in allegories by Theosophy.

I doubt many modern day 'Satan' worshippers even understand what they are worshipping, along with the biblical religions whose most holy day is SUNday.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

Sezsue, here is a quote from The Secret Doctrine about Satan:

The true esoteric view about "Satan," the opinion held on this subject by the whole philosophic antiquity, is admirably brought out in an appendix, entitled "The Secret of Satan," to the second edition of Dr. A. Kingsford's "Perfect Way." No better and clearer indication of the truth could be offered to the intelligent reader, and it is therefore quoted here at some length: —

"1. And on the seventh day (seventh creation of the Hindus), * there went forth from the presence of God a mighty Angel, full of wrath and consuming, and God gave him the dominion of the outermost sphere. †

2. "Eternity brought forth Time; the Boundless gave birth to Limit; Being descended into generation." ‡

4. "Among the Gods is none like unto him, into whose hands are committed the kingdoms, the power and the glory of the worlds:"

5. "Thrones and empires, the dynasties of kings, § the fall of nations, the birth of churches, the triumph of Time."

For, as is said in Hermes, "Satan is the door-keeper of the Temple of the King; he standeth in Solomon's porch; he holdeth the key of the Sanctuary, that no man enter therein, save the Anointed having the arcanum of Hermes" (v. 20 and 21).

These suggestive and majestic verses had reference with the ancient Egyptians and other civilized peoples of antiquity to the creative and generative light of the Logos (Horus, Brahmâ, Ahura-Mazda, etc., etc., as primeval manifestations of the ever-unmanifested Principle, e.g., Ain-Soph, Parabrahm, or Zeruana Akerne— Boundless Time — Kâla), but the
——————————————————————————————
* When the earth with its planetary chain and man were to appear.

† Our earth and the physical plane of consciousness.

‡ When the pure, celestial Being (Dhyan Chohan) and the great Pitris of various classes were commissioned — the one to evolve their images (Chhaya), and make of them physical man, the others to inform and thus endow him with divine intelligence and the comprehension of the Mysteries of Creation.

§ The "dynasties of the kings" who all regard themselves as the "anointed," reigning "by the Grace of God," whereas in truth, they reign by the grace of matter, the great Illusion, the Deceiver.

234 THE SECRET DOCTRINE.

meaning is now degraded in the Kabala. The "Anointed," who has the secrets and mysteries of Hermes (Buddha, Wisdom), and who alone is entrusted with the key to the "Sanctuary," the Womb of nature, in order to fructify it and call to active life and being the whole Kosmos, has become, with the Jews, Jehovah, the "God of generation" on the lunar mountain (Sinai, the mountain of the moon, "Sin"). The "Sanctuary" has become the "Holy of Holies," and the arcanum has been anthropomorphised and phallicised and dragged down into matter, indeed. Hence arose the necessity of making of the "Dragon of Wisdom," the Serpent of Genesis: of the conscious god who needed a body to clothe his too subjective divinity, Satan. But the "innumerable incarnations of Spirit," and "the ceaseless pulse and current of desire" refer, the first one, to our doctrine of Karmic and cyclic rebirths, the second — to EROS, not the later god of material, physiological love, but to the divine desire in the gods, as well as in all nature, to create and give life to Beings. This, the Rays of the one "dark," because invisible and incomprehensible, FLAME could achieve only by themselves descending into matter. Therefore, as continued in the APPENDIX:

12. "Many names hath God given him (Satan), names of mystery, secret and terrible."

13. "The Adversary, because matter opposeth Spirit. Time accuseth even the Saints of the Lord."

[edit on 2-3-2009 by beebs]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
cont:

28, 29, 31. "Stand in awe of him, and sin not; speak his name with trembling . . . . For Satan is the magistrate of the justice of God (Karma); he beareth the balance and the sword . . . For to him are committed Weight and Measure and Number."

Compare the last sentence with what the Rabbi, who explains the Kabala to Prince Al-Chazari in the Book of that name, says; and it will be found that the Weight and Measure and Number are, in Sepher Jezirah, the attributes of the Sephiroth (the three Sephrim, or figures, ciphers) covering the whole collective number of 10; and that the Sephiroth are the collective Adam Kadmon, the "Heavenly Man" or the Logos. Thus Satan and the anointed were identified in ancient thought. Therefore,

33. "Satan is the minister of God, Lord of the seven mansions of Hades". . .

The seven or Saptaloka of the Earth with the Hindus; for Hades, or the Limbo of Illusion, of which theology makes a region bordering on Hell, is simply our globe, the Earth, and thus Satan is called —

33 ". . . the angel of the manifest Worlds."

It is "Satan who is the god of our planet and the only god," and this without any allusive metaphor to its wickedness and depravity. For he is one with the Logos, "the first son, eldest of the gods," in the order

235 THE SHADOW OF GOD.

of microcosmic (divine) evolution; Saturn (Satan), astronomically, "is the seventh and last in the order of macrocosmic emanation, being the circumference of the kingdom of which Phœbus (the light of wisdom, also the Sun) is the centre." The Gnostics were right, then, in calling the Jewish god "an angel of matter," or he who breathed (conscious) life into Adam, and he whose planet was Saturn.

34. "And God hath put a girdle about his loins (the rings of Saturn), and the name of the girdle is Death."

In anthropogony this "girdle" is the human body with its two lower principles, which three die, while the innermost man is immortal. And now we approach the "Secret of Satan."

37, 38, 39. ". . .Upon Satan only is the shame of generation. He hath lost his virginal estate (so hath the Kumâra by incarnating): uncovering heavenly secrets, he hath entered into bondage. . . . He compasseth with bonds and limits all things. . ."

42, 43, 44. "Twain are the armies of God: in heaven the hosts of Michael; in the abyss (the manifested world) the legions of Satan. These are the unmanifest and the manifest; the free and the bound (in matter): the virginal and the fallen. And both are the Ministers of the Father, fulfilling the word Divine. . ." Therefore —

55. "Holy is the Sabbath of god: blessed and sanctified is the name of the Angel of Havas" — SATAN.

For, "The glory of Satan is the shadow of the Lord": God in the manifested world; "the throne of Satan is the footstool of Adonai" — that footstool being the whole Kosmos. (Vide Part II., "Is Pleroma Satan's Lair?")

When the Church, therefore, curses Satan, it curses the cosmic reflection of God; it anathematizes God made manifest in matter or in the objective; it maledicts God, or the ever-incomprehensible WISDOM, revealing itself as Light and Shadow, good and evil in nature, in the only manner comprehensible to the limited intellect of MAN.

This is the true philosophical and metaphysical interpretation of Samael, or Satan, the adversary in the Kabala; the same tenets and spirit being found in the allegorical interpretations of every other ancient religion. This philosophical view does not interfere, however, with the historical records connected with it. We say "historical," because allegory and a mythical ornamentation around the kernel of tradition, in no wise prevent that kernel being a record of real events. Thus, the Kabala, repeating the time-honoured revelations of the once universal history of our globe and the evolution of its races,

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
cont:

has presented it under the legendary form of the various records which have formed the Bible. Its historical foundation is now offered, in however imperfect a form, on these pages from the Secret Doctrine of the East; and thus

236 THE SECRET DOCTRINE.

the allegorical and symbolical meaning of the Serpent of Genesis is found explained by the "Sons of Wisdom" (or angels from higher spheres, though all and each pertain to the kingdom of Satan, or Matter) revealing to men the mysteries of Heaven. Hence, also, all the so-called myths of the Hindu, Grecian, Chaldean, and Jewish Pantheons are found to be built on fact and truth. The giants of Genesis are the historical Atlanteans of Lanka, and the Greek Titans.

END QUOTE

Quote was from The Secret Doctrine, Volume 2. All of which is FREE online. Those who want you to know will tell you for FREE.
www.theosophy.org...

As you can see, clearly someone as intelligent as H.P.B. does not worship a satanic figure. She worships man, divine nature, and truth above all.

What do you guys think the Occult is? The Hidden. Why do people(myself included six months ago) think that Theosophy and the Occult are bad? All Theosophy does is integrate Science and Religion, and proposes that it is the only true way to find answers.

If this isn't the conspiracy of all time I don't know what is.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I think this thread deserves to be in the Conspiracies in Religion forum. Can a mod move this thread? Or should I start a new one...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by beebs
. Why do people(myself included six months ago) think that Theosophy and the Occult are bad? All Theosophy does is integrate Science and Religion, and proposes that it is the only true way to find answers.

It is due to ignorance. When the word "Occult" is mentioned, people visualize a bunch of people standing around praying to a horned figure. Too many think they know a lot about things that they know absolutely nothing about.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yes I agree... I am amazed that ATS is not chock FULL of people knowledgeable in the Occult, and Theosophy. I think a good majority of the people here would be absolutely astonished if they read a little bit of Theosophy.

The Secret Doctrine and Isis Unveiled are like a handbook for the avid ATS'er, if only they knew.

The conspiracy of all conspiracies: Get the public to think Truth is the Devil, all the while using the Truth to control them.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Beebs, you have to realize that a great number of conspiracy "theorists" are Christian fundamentalists. Most have never even heard of Theosophy and if they have, it was with a warped, slanted perspective.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Nice thread, with good stuff by Beebs

I have studied Theosophy for 12 years now, and it has enriched my life, and was the beginning of my Path, and still is at the core of my thinking.

Indeed would many ATSers benefit highly from studying good old Theosophy. It would explain a lot for them, give insight in the occult side of Life, and would indeed also clear some of the misunderstandings.
But it's not an easy thing to study and grasp. Certainly not HPB's books... It's good other Theosophists have written some easier to understand books about the 'model' Theosophy turned out to be. But such a doctrine wasn't the goal of earliest Theosophy; it was to study the parallels between religions, philosophy and science. Just study and connecting the dots to get a trutful as possible view of reality. Theosophy becoming some kind of 'religion' in itself was never the objective of HPB en Olcott.

There would be no New Age thinking, no modern spirituality, without early Theosophy. And don't think too lightly about the influence of Alice Bailey's books. Those highly technical works inspired (and still do) many spiritual schools of thought. Without Blavatsky and Bailey we wouldn't have had todays spiritual world.

top topics

join