It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallasites turn in 147 guns in exchange for grocery cards

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Dallasites turn in 147 guns in exchange for grocery cards

www.dallasnews.com

“This shows that people will be behind a positive activity,” said Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway, who spearheaded the event at Reunion Arena. “Some of those guns are ones our officers are up against.”

Throughout the morning, a steady stream of young and old braved the cold temperatures to turn in their guns. Mayor Tom Leppert said he initially expected officers would take in about 20 weapons. But just an hour and a half into the event, 77 guns had been exchanged for $50 Kroger cards.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
"Ah, yes sheeples, come and get yourself 2 days worth of food in your desperation...All you need to do in exchange is DISARM yourselves...You don't need those "dangerous" weapons that will only be used in CRIMES, so just hand them over to US, we know what is best for you and your community."

The gun-grabbers just keep on trucking, and unfortunately, at least in Dallas, the people seem to be falling for the propaganda, as well as letting desperation dictate their disarmament...

www.dallasnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Hey, recycle all my non-working, broken hand me down firearms for 50 dollars a pop? I'm in.

Who said these people gave all their guns away, and not just the pieces of trash they couldn't use on its good day?

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
These programs aren't so horrible.
They get the stupid people to give up their guns. stupid people + guns = not a good idea.

The rest of us will keep our guns or sale them for face value, and buy more.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Scroll down and read the full article. It says that officers inspected the guns to make sure they were still functioning BEFORE giving out the gift cards. So this wasn't turn in "busted heap of scrap" for a measely $50 food card, this was going after functioning firearms.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I tend to agree. I am as pro-gun rights as they come, but here in Orlando a local radio station created this program which has since expanded nation-wide. This type of program has been going on for 10 years here. And even a few of the local gun retailers have jumped on board. Alot of weapons are turned-in from people who really shouldn't have them. Whether they are stolen, just of no use or in the hands of minors, these programs can only enhance the out look on responsible gun owners. Most of these programs are no questions asked so those who have a gun that maybe they are not prepared to use in a legal way can absolve themselves from the responsibility as well as getting something in return. Nobody is forcing these people to give up thier weapons, most get rid of them because unlike you or I DD, don't want the responsibility of owning and maintaining a firearm. I do not fault them for that. As a matter of fact I applaud them. It takes someone with clear understanding of self to say ," Hey you know what? I cannot see myself discharging this weapon in defense or in anger, I should remove it from posession in the off chance it falls into the wrong hands." Even if they are'nt doing it for the moral high-ground the fact that they think they should give up a weapon tells me that they understand the responsibility involved.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Hey, recycle all my non-working, broken hand me down firearms for 50 dollars a pop? I'm in.

Who said these people gave all their guns away, and not just the pieces of trash they couldn't use on its good day?

We have one of these guns for (whatever) programs where I live. I know a guy that buys a couple of old guns that are usually so rusted they dont work anymore and turns them into these programs. Last time this program was running the cops were giving away gas cards. That guy bought two inoperable guns for about 20 bucks (for both) and turned them in for $100 in gas cards. I always laugh at these things when I read them because I know thre is some guy turning in hunks of rust that resemble a pistol to get his prize. In STL, Missouri the cops take any firearm no matter the condition.

Im sure that many people just turn in older hand-me down firearms, I am positive that many of these people have more at home and in better condition.

Besides, I lived in Dallas and getting ready to move back and I can tell you that 147 guns turned in is a joke compared to how many guns there are in Dallas. They really put a dent in the gun problem didnt they?

[edit on 28-2-2009 by A NeWorlDisorder]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
They can expect them to see if they *should* be functioning, but that won't tell them they are. It's not like they can pop a few rounds off into the air to make sure everything's good.

I know that this is a gun-grabber ploy, but since it's not *forcing* people to give up their weapons it's not really an infringement on anyone's rights.

I'm staunchly pro-gun, but I'm also pro-freedom. If somebody wants to sell their guns way below value, that's their business. I can't honestly say I'd turn down the chance to buy a gun for 50 bucks... I doubt that I'd smelt it though.
)

I've heard of some buy-back programs offering as much as 100 dollars. If that happened around here I'd buy up every 80 dollar surplus rifle in the area and turn in an arsenal... :-)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Man, I would not want to be standing in line with so many people carrying so many guns.

Anyway, this is precisely why even gold is useless when you think of the economy collapsing. The only thing that is truly important is food, but having a couple of guns around the house ain't too bad of an idea, either.

I think these people giving their guns away for $50 gift cards at Kroger doesn't mean very much. This is Texas we're talking about, these people probably have several dozen guns anyway.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
What I would like to know is how many people got busted for having a gun without a permit while on their way to exchange their guns for food cards?

Also, how are or who is paying for those 50 dollars gift cards?

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I would venture to guess that many of those guns were unregistered or "lost or stolen" weapons.

One way for the cops to get matches in ballistics for previous crimes, but still no way to trace it to the perps.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I can see how such programs could do "a little" good by getting guns out of some irresponsible hands. If you're willing to turn in a functional firearm for $50 in food you're either really desperate, or really naive. In either case I'd rather you not be armed. While that serves my personal interest for survival. There is also a danger inherent to these programs. #1 how may of those weapons were stolen, and then turned in? As it is a "no questions" policy at these events usually. #2 Are these events a precursor to something bigger? The old frog frying analogy comes to mind. Get people used to these "feel good" guns for garbage tactics then slowly turn up the heat. Also these things are just for show. It's political posturing. I live in Texas, and have relatives in Dallas, and 147 guns is statistically insignificant. The gun stores will sell many more times that many guns to residents of Dallas tomorrow. I don't think they do more harm than good for now, but times are a changin'. What happens when your kids are getting sick from malnutrition, and it is more than a $50 food card? That Smith & Wesson might start looking pretty tasty. The presidence has been set. You know where the guns for grub line is. They made it easy for you to disarm yourself. I think this is the way TPTB will try to disarm us. Much better than armed door to door confiscations, and much more effective. Plus they'll look good doing it.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
i'm all for less guns on earth...

but what's more deadly.. the gun itself rarely used.. or the GMO cancer and diabetes causing foods the people will no doubt likely buy with their grocery card? ..

-

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
hahaha for every one they handed in they have another 100.
They would have handed in the crappiest oldest never used gun they have hahaha

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Well, at least this time they're getting something of value. Anyone remember a few weeks ago people were trading in their guns for roses?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
And in larger spectrum related news (lol):

eObama’s USA Service Website Hosts Gun “Buy Back” Event

USA Service’s posting of a gun “buy back” event is yet another indication that Obama and his supporters will continue their assault against the idea of gun ownership and the Second Amendment. If Obama, AG Holder, and the Democrat dominated Congress have their way, the entire country will resemble Chicago, where handguns are illegal and other firearms are strictly regulated.

Full story:

www.infowars.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyzera
Well, at least this time they're getting something of value. Anyone remember a few weeks ago people were trading in their guns for roses?

I know right? they must have had an appetite for their own destruction huh?

bu-bum-cha

-

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I wonder when there's gonna be 'exchange your guns for clean water/electricity/heating'. Good way to disarm the poor.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
They ask for your ID. They do it here in NC as well. And I hate to say it but about a month from now, some of the folks that sold those guns for free gift cards will be in jail. Its the best way for the police to get unregistered guns which is a crime. As well as to get guns that were used in crimes. And the worst part is folks are stupid enough to hand over there ID's and give out all that info. Then about 30 to 90 days later there in jail. Its a ploy. But the good thing is it gets some guns off the streets it also gets some criminals off the streets. I saw a gun brought into Raleigh that was used in a double murder. So yeah it helps.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Ya, I would say these werre probably old junker guns, or stolen/illegal ones. Even stupid people know that a good gun is worth more than $50 at the pawn shop... 147 guns? in Dallas, thats nothing... a drop in the bucket

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join