It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash-Strapped Communities Suffer as Corporations Target Water Systems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Cash-Strapped Communities Suffer as Corporations Target Water Systems

www.commondreams.org

WASHINGTON - February 25 - A new report released today by Food & Water Watch, a national consumer advocacy group based in Washington, D.C., reveals that many cash-strapped communities across the country are experiencing rate hikes and a decrease in public services after selling their water and wastewater systems to private corporations. Money Down the Drain: How Private Control of Water Wastes Public Resources highlights cities and towns across the country that have sold their water systems to private companies to offset budget deficits in an increasingly unstable economy, and the negative economic and environmental impact of water privatization on those communities.

"Private companies claim that they provide more efficient service and that they can upgrade systems at a lower cost than their public counterparts," said Wenonah Hauter, executive director of Food & Water Watch. "Such claims are nothing but spin. Private water companies are beholden to shareholders, not the customers who rely on them for this vital natural resource. The delivery of public water should never be a profit center for privately held corporations."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I know yet again I will come off as an "alarmist" here, but I have been keeping an eye on this situation for some time, and have been theorizing that WATER would become the next "commodity" that these greed-mongering mega-corps would be targeting...A past thread reporting on the "wheels-in-motion" to get this started:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And now it appears, due to the DELIBERATE CRASHING of our economy, to be coming to fruition!

Another HIGHLY alarming scenario to keep a VERY close eye on people. Do you want these endlessly greedy mega-corps controlling a resource vital to your very existence?

www.commondreams.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This is already happening. Lots of known water reserve locations have been bought up by elitists and, here in europe, the water system, while public, is being setup to be explored by private companies. So now I have to pay taxes for my locality to receive more cash from private entities, so I'm essentially paying for my water twice. Yes, capitalism, festering pile of manure that it is, will try and make the most abundant natural comodity that is not a gas into something scarce. Because that's what capitalism does, takes from the many to give to the few.

And this without even going into the crap that these idiots are putting in the water, fooled that they are into being slaved for elitist genocidal sociopaths. Or psychopaths. Or omnipaths. I don't even care for the labels anymore, I don't think there are words for these people yet. Well, at least not words that will pass the autocensor.

This will result in a crap network of cheap plastic pipes that give people bleached water that dehydrates your body. Don't doubt me, it's what I have already. And I live on an island that used to have mineral water literally delivered to your house, and now, in 2 short decades these **** have made it all go to ****.

But hey, I don't get yellow fever, so I guess it's all for the better, eh?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
In during Tank Girl.

Water availability has always been the tipping point for civilization. Private companies should NOT own something that is so obviously necessary for human life.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Everything in Britain was privatised long ago.

I think my local water company is owned by some Germans.
Needless to say, prices have shot up by about 50% in the last few years since that happened, and the quality of the water is now dreadful.

Water is cloudy and doesn't taste right, unless left to settle. At which point a kinda scummy film appears on the top. Whether its contaminants or gas, I don't know.
Could be nanobots for all anyone can tell.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The low profile of this thread shows just how messed up people's priorities are. They will discuss sports and bailouts till the cow's come home, yet something as basic and important as water is shrugged off.

C'mon people, get with the program here.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Haha, yes, I've noticed this, even in the past when I've brought attention to this. Hardly anybody seems to comment or care...

To me, this, and even the food situation---Including Monsanto---Is one of the most important and dire issues facing us in the future. Having these things controlled and turned into COMMODITIES is absolutely a nightmare come to life IMO.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Haha, yes, I've noticed this, even in the past when I've brought attention to this. Hardly anybody seems to comment or care...

To me, this, and even the food situation---Including Monsanto---Is one of the most important and dire issues facing us in the future. Having these things controlled and turned into COMMODITIES is absolutely a nightmare come to life IMO.

Indeed. Luckily there is some headway in the fight against monsanto, good things are happening in India, after the GMO cotton fiasco there. TPTB don't really understand life when they mess with the code and they don't have the degree of control they think they have over it. That one I see blowing up in their faces and leaving a nice paper trail back to the usual suspects.

Water is worrying though, because people are, through incremental implementation, slowly being seperated from what is the most important natural substance. Think about it, many people don't even drink water anymore, it's always part of something else. Where are we going? Are we coming to a world where we get cleaning fluid pumped to our houses and we have to pay for every glass of artificial sludge we drink? I'm sure TPTB would love that one, but I won't let myself fall into that trap.

There's a war against water going on, and that, without a doubt, is evil. These people are lunatics. (See links in sig).

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think most people who are aware enough to be concerned about this already use tap water only for washing and flushing, not for drinking and cooking.

Water infrastructure is one of those industries that is inherently monopolistic, because the right-of-way and plumbing requirement virtually ensure that competition is impossible. It should be addressed in a manner that reflects that, and not treated the same way that commodities subject to free-market competition.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
water control is the most powerful government (corporate) throughout history.

Somewhere, some are preparing to force the serfs prostrate to worship and show hommage to their glory

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
imd12c4funn,

You sir are exactly right!

This is the End Game people - Food and Water control are exactly what Kissinger described as the precursor to a One World Government.

Let us be prepared for the next phase - they certainly are!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
And in relevant news:

Adapting to water woes

The southwestern United States is moving headlong toward an environmental catastrophe of apocalyptic proportions.

The already drought-prone region is almost entirely dependent on a shrinking snowpack and sparse rain in the Colorado River Basin. As the planet’s climate changes, an already overtaxed and volatile water supply is expected to get even more unstable.

Continued:

www.lasvegassun.com...

Schwarzenegger declares Calif. drought emergency

"This drought is having a devastating impact on our people, our communities, our economy and our environment, making today's action absolutely necessary," the Republican governor said in his statement.

Mandatory rationing is an option if the declaration and other measures are insufficient.

The drought has forced farmers to fallow their fields, put thousands of agricultural workers out of work and led to conservation measures in cities throughout the state, which is the nation's top agricultural producer.

Full Story:

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think the chemtrail situation has something to do with the manipulation of weather patterns so as to reduce rainfall. These folks behind big finance, behind big government, seem to be hellbent on making water scarce. I suspect this is an aristocratic plan to throw humanity back into a middle ages type scenario, back into feudalism. Deny people the ability to eat and drink and you control them by the rations.

Everywhere I look in the modern world almost everything seems to be a facet of an artificial scarcity and enslavement agenda. Everything, from the mobile phone cost plans to rainwater. It's amazing in it's insanity.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Of course we'll be labled as "conspiracy-nuts" but I agree with you 100% on the chem-trail thing. I have had that feeling for a LONG time now, after watching these aerosol sprays literally cut swaths through clouds and break them apart. And they have been RELENTLESS above my area---There are days when I literally can't see any blue in the sky, and it is ALL chem-trails, I mean DOZENS upon DOZENS of them.

I believe this "drought" is being engineered, as a form of control, and another way to make obscene riches off of the populace through extortion.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Yes, I didn't actually give much credit to the chemtrail side of conspiracy theory (and here I use conspiracy theory in the same vein as physics theory, as mathmatical theory, ie, as a branch of knowledge).

But we got hit here last year, and I've noticed it more regularly since. I'm fortunate to live on an island, so there does seem to be more difficulty controlling the rainpatterns here, as it's hard to provoke drought in a small area surrounded by water, but darn it, that dosen't stop them from trying.

Climate change is a euphemism for climate suppression. And those big storms that are generated by the climate system, those large chains of hurricanes, those I suspect are the energy in the global climate system overpowering the suppression. So, in short, we get the same amount of rain, as evaporation from the oceans dictate how much moisture is up there, but due to mass scale chemical and possibly energetic manipulation of the cloud systems, it all tends to clump up and when it falls it's catastrophic. Which of course dosen't bother TPTB much.

Just an idea I have floating around in my head.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I've had enough of this government as evil, privatization good!

Of course government is evil if you want to rob the citizens of their income!! Govt' competes for the money corporations want! The best of worlds (for business) is when corporations use govt to get taxpayer money (Iraq). Without that, corporations settle for privatization of what was done through local municipalities, agencies,govt, things we need...like water!

Sure, tell citizens to quit paying taxes, then sell them their services either as "fees" or as payments to a business. It's all money. You don't get something for nothing. What is someone to do...hey, if you don't like the water, don't drink it? If you don't like the air you breathe, don't inhale? Bah, such craziness..

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Looks like someone else is putting the pieces of the puzzle together on what is being orchestrated as well:

Drought 'Oddities'

Suddenly, almost inexplicably and overnight - there's a newly discovered big water shortage in the US! Keep your eyes on the GOP prize. Under cover of the Bush Depression and (global warming-induced) drought, corpora-terrorist trolls may present a 'solution:' Privatize part of the US water supply. First, the inevitable state of emergency is declared:

Continued:

www.legitgov.org...

new topics

top topics

join