It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of White America

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

The Election of Barack Obama is just the most startling manifestation of a larger trend: the gradual erosion of “whiteness” as the touchstone of what it means to be American. If the end of white America is a cultural and demographic inevitability, what will the new mainstream look like—and how will white Americans fit into it? What will it mean to be white when whiteness is no longer the norm? And will a post-white America be less racially divided—or more so? by Hua Hsu

www.theatlantic.com...

Now we have an article “The End of White America” written by Hua Hsu, an Assistant Professor of English at Vassar College. The article is a rather depressing display of what passes for intellectual discourse on the most important question confronting white people in America.

Hsu begins by quoting a passage in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby in which a character, Tom Buchanan, states: “Have you read The Rise of the Colored Empires by this man Goddard?” … Well, it’s a fine book, and everybody ought to read it. The idea is if we don’t look out the white race will be—will be utterly submerged. It’s all scientific stuff; it’s been proved.”

For the media, the less whites think about their coming minority status, the better

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Well....

It's been a good run boys.....

Time to pack it in.

LOL

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MolochMarduk

no offense, but this is kind of racist imo ... who cares if it's black or white? everyone has the freedom to live where they want ...

i think we may see a rise in the KKK honestly ...

[edit on 24-2-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

everyone has the freedom to live where they want

This applies only to non-whites, is it ?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Yeah I hear Obama is thinking about changing the name of the White House to the Black house!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MolochMarduk

Forgive me for stating the obvious but...
America isn't black or white, nowhere is black or white. There are some individuals who visibly display their stupidity by being racist but these people will get nowhere and only end up causing others strife.
All the hype about stuff like this and Obama being the first black president only serves to make racism worse. I could have used 'exacerbate' there.
The level of racism would soon decrease if the media left it alone. Most of us are strong enough to stop racism on a day to day basis without having endless campaigns reminding us to do it.
Hmm, perhaps this post is completely hypocritical?

You've got red on you.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by and14263]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I was just wondering who elected Obama? I think it was white people.... I could be wrong though.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by tac109
I was just wondering who elected Obama? I think it was white people.... I could be wrong though.

I think you are wrong, more black people voted then ever before and who do you think they voted for? not McCain.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Yeah, and you know what's infinitely sad?

The fact that about only 10% of these could have told you anything about his political past and his future plans. (Ok so the plans were kept vague but you know what I'm getting at).

Edit: By these I mean all voters not just black people.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think you are wrong... If all the white people voted for Mccain... Guess what. He would be president right now, Not Obama. Oh and its funny how all of a sudden many people in the black community voted for the first time who are over 40 years old. I guess they just suddenly decided they like politics.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Black people make up only 15% of the population. So even if every black person including children, came out to vote, it still isn't enough to elect a black president.

That is why they are so happy. I have a problem with all the white folks begrudging them this.

And no, Barack is not doing anything silly like calling it the Black House. Barack probably has said least on race then anybody. He LOVES history. He would probably be the last person to let the name change, and change anything historical.

I got ten bucks that says he sleeps in the Lincoln Bedroom every night.

When you are a minority in something, as most white people don't understand, when you actually make a dent in history, it is an overwhelming feeling.

I would feel the same way if a pagan president was elected. But THAT willnever happen.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I have lived most of my life in mixed neighborhoods until recently. Relax, white people things will be fine. Continued segregation by choice is fine and will probably continue for eternity - that's your choice but you might want to experience what it feels like to live among a diverse population or a mixed neighborhood just for the education.

If you are a good person and a wise person you will probably do just fine. I think at some point in our lives every single one of us has felt the sting of racism. If no laws have been broken or willful hate crimes then brush it off and move on.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tac109

White people elected Obama eh?
Whites make up 65% of the population of the U.S.
Blacks make up 15% of the population. So to the laymans that would make it a "Black & White" decision, so to speak that Obama couldnt win by the Black vote alone. Well no S***!
Thats doesnt take in to account all the other minorities (Mexicans, Asians, Natives, Gays) who all overwhelmingly voted for Obama, not to mention the scores of White (Marxist) University students and White women who have been brainwashed with reverse racism, to hate themselves so much that they can take the first Black man who can put 2 words together as a "Messiah"

95% of Blacks voted for Obama, which wasnt racist, even though his anscestors didnt come to America as slaves (but is 1st generation America), and was raised by his White grandparents. So the only thing they have in common with Obama is skin color. But thats not racist *rolls eyes*

ANY White person who voted McCain was basically called a Klansman.
Whether the prefered a Nam Veteran over a Lawyer, or a Veteran Senator over a first-termer was immaterial. They were White, voting for the White guy, which is the sum of all evils.

I hope the hypocrasy in this example alone is enough for Whites to see what the future has in store.......

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

some individuals who visibly display their stupidity by being racist

When facts are blatant, there are two ways to treat them :

- 1) Ridiculize or blaming those who see them : this is the easy way. It's easy and confortable, because it's supported by the main stream of the opinion. And the main stream of the opinion is educated to ridiculize or blame those who see the facts.

- 2) See the facts, and call them by their name, even if it is not politically correct.

There's nowadays, what we could call intellectual terrorism, which forbids the use of some words.

- When a black man votes for Obama NOT because he agrees with Obama, NOT because he is aware of his plans, but because he is "Black", sorry to call this by it's name : it's racism.

- When a white man DON'T vote for Obama NOT because he disagrees with Obama, NOT because he isn't aware of his plans, but because he is "Black", sorry to call this by it's name : its also racism.

Now, tell me that this was NEVER the case during this election.

So, like it or not, this election has been largely rotten by racial issues.
Naming "stupid" everybody who adresses these issues by their NAME, is IMO not very realistic, neither rational.

It's simply the repetition of some credo of some religion.

Now, let me tell you that : ROME was ROME until the barbarians invade it. After that, ROME disappeared as an Empire, as a center of power and culture.

This was the fate of ALL the empires : a people created them, then this people was slowly or suddenly invaded by other peoples, and it was the end.

It's not "racist" to recall historical facts.
It's not "racist" to explain how it works.

Your attitude makes me think to MOWGLI in the "Book of the Jungle" (Rudyard Kipling). Remember when the serpent KA, which wants to swallow him, tries to hyponitize him and tells him : "Be kind, be kind ...".

Your're telling him : "dont worry, don't worry, it won't hurt you".

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by orkson

So, like it or not, this election has been largely rotten by racial issues.
Naming "stupid" everybody who adresses these issues by their NAME, is IMO not very realistic, neither rational.

You seem to have either misread or misunderstood what I wrote.
All I'm saying is hating someone for a reason as shallow as skin colour is stupid... obviously lacks thought.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
How did this thread become about Obama and who may or may not have elected him? So far as I read, he was only mentioned a few times in the article linked by OP.

It was an interesting read. I think the author should have widened the field to include Europe as well as America, as a similar situation is playing out here.

[edit on 24/2/09 by AngelInterceptor]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Let them have their day, i figure everyone will end up brown anyway.

It did bug me that people voted for him purely because of his race despite them being totally ignorant of his policies or past etc. If white people chose to vote for Mccain purely because he was white there'd be hell to pay! Im not saying that doesnt go on but to that extreme is ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Give me a break. Are you saying that America is only America because its majority population had light skin?

I thought America was about Ideals. Freedom. Democracy. Pioneers. Opportunities. Give us your hungry, your tired, your poor - etc.

We took the Dutch, the English, the Germans. The French, the Africans, the Irish. The Jews, the Japanese, the Chinese and the Mexicans. And the sum of the whole is more than its parts.

The Melting pot. Our culture is ALL cultures. A progression of culture.

If someday, our culture changes to reflect another aspect of such, it will be as it always has been. Each part is a part of the whole. We are all black, white, hispanic, asian. Middle eastern, slavic, indian. We are American.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Sorry and14263. Don't take offense.

But I confirm : naming "stupid" some opinions which are not yours is not always a good strategy.

You should, as any intelligent people, ask to yourself some reasonable questions such as : "WHY so many people, who are NOT all of them so STUDID, are "racists"" ?

Having an extended and honest research to find an answer to this question could lead yourself, maybe, to be called ... "stupid" ?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The sad part of it all is that both sides can be offensive to Obama. One thing people never appreciate for any POTUS is the amount of education they have.
Bill Clinton was a Rhodes scholar. That is an incredible and remarkable feat.

Black people are so focuses on race, they they fail to see, he went to Columbia University. he graduated magna cum laude from Harvard. He was a constitutional law professor. He was one of the few senators to oppose the war in Iraq. These are great accomplishments for anyone. All of this while comeing from a broken home and absentee father.

Instead, you have people like Jamie Fox saying: you can tell he is black, he can dance.
sure he can dance. But I am sure Obama wants to be known for other things. That kind of thing is actually demeaning.

Instead of people focusing on power struggle, people need to see that for anyone of a minority status, no matter who they are, managed to get such a great education despite the odds.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join