It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we think alike?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I've been curious as to why we all seem to think alike.

While we all may have different point of views on things from each other I've noticed that the line of thought Has anyone else noticed this? I think it's fascinating how all of us have mostly similar lines of thought. People react in similar ways to things.

It truly shows that all humans are created equal. But my question is why do we think alike? I used to have an ear infection from the time I was like 3 to when I was in 8th grade or so... when I gained the ability to talk like a normal functioning person it took me a little while to develop my social skills... but now that they're fully developed I'm amazed at how we all think alike. Most people take it for granted for some reason. We talk in similar ways. I notice that when I have conversations with other people they react in a way that I think they would sometimes and sometimes they don't but most of the time it's like they're reacting in the same way I guess I would react or I could imagine someone else reacting. People seem to have the capability to act similarly to other people. It's not like we're all completely different from each other. We have our differences but we're human, it's fascinating.

I don't know if you notice it but because of my childhood experience with not being fully functional and plagued by these problems I find it fascinating. Why do we all think alike?

I am truly amazed at how rational we can be and how irrational we can be in certain respects... we talk

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Not quite sure what your asking but this is a good overview of the value of speaking what you believe is the truth. Or in other words, the value of "Free Speech" and exchanging ideas. Where there is conformity their is a tendency to perpetuation ignorance by human weakness. bbc5.tv...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

We actually don't. Depending on your field and your education as well as your genetics (IQ level), some have very different kinds of thought processes than others.

Take a "look for new music" quest for an example. If you sample a bunch of people with this question (and do it as an interview and not a "check this box") you will find that people approach this very simple quest in six unique ways (if you lump things that are similar.)

While we all may have different point of views on things from each other I've noticed that the line of thought Has anyone else noticed this? I think it's fascinating how all of us have mostly similar lines of thought. People react in similar ways to things.

Some of what you describe is an impact of both the global culture and the local culture.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

People all seem to think alike because they experience the same reality/react to the same external stimulie. As previous poster stated it has something to do with the culture you live in and have been raised in. But, just because you and all your friends seem to think alike doesn't meen this is so. You can never really know what thoughts occupy anothers mind as they don't automatically and without question correspond to one's speech and actions. For instance, every day I go to work, converse with my superiors an average of ten minutes by the coffee maker, superiors I do horrible and inhuman things to in my thoughts yet act politely around. Thoughts are largely worthless, hollow...things. Also, you don't want to wake up one day to everyone thinking the same...it's something to be avoided in all situations.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Wouldn't you expect a bunch of people living on the same planet, requiring the same resources, bound by the same physical laws and having the same form of body and brain to think alike?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

"
Wouldn't you expect a bunch of people living on the same planet, requiring the same resources, bound by the same physical laws and having the same form of body and brain to think alike?
"

Why? There's variation in all species regarding evolution, different abilities, different heights, colors, different consciousness and un. It's natures playfullness unttil she decides to push forward a mass evolution of the species and have the cycle start over again. I suppose it has a lot to do with perspective... to say yes we all think as a basis but there's a range of differences within.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

It truly shows that all humans are created equal. But my question is why do we think alike? I used to have an ear infection from the time I was like 3 to when I was in 8th grade or so... when I gained the ability to talk like a normal functioning person it took me a little while to develop my social skills... but now that they're fully developed I'm amazed at how we all think alike. Most people take it for granted for some reason. We talk in similar ways. I notice that when I have conversations with other people they react in a way that I think they would sometimes and sometimes they don't but most of the time it's like they're reacting in the same way I guess I would react or I could imagine someone else reacting. People seem to have the capability to act similarly to other people. It's not like we're all completely different from each other. We have our differences but we're human, it's fascinating.

I don't know if you notice it but because of my childhood experience with not being fully functional and plagued by these problems I find it fascinating. Why do we all think alike?

I am truly amazed at how rational we can be and how irrational we can be in certain respects... we talk

We don't all think alike. Far from it. I know you address it in your second sentence, but it's why there are human beings in the world who may be liberal or conservative or radical or extremists etc. We come in all shapes and sizes and react to situations in different ways. It's actually the way we think and the differences that occur in the way we think that seperate us from lower animals. We are not all genetically disposed to having hive or herd mentalities. We may very well think or act within a given system, but we will still be inherently different and unique within that system, unlike other animals which have limited individual traits and act impulsively. A lot of these differences (and in fact similarities) arise as a result of the way we are nurtured. For instance, you may notice these similar traits in thought process with the people who are close to you that you interact with daily, but try going to somewhere in the far East or Africa and you will notice more differences than you do similarity.

top topics

join