It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cairo Market Bomb Blast: Tourists Killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Cairo Market Bomb Blast: Tourists Killed

news.sky.com

A bomb has exploded in a crowded Cairo market frequented by tourists, killing at least four and wounding many, including foreigners
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Not much to say yet as this has just broke, Reports are coming in that police are trying to defused a second device.

Some say there was a loud blast, but a poice man said "It was an explosive, perhaps a hand grenade,"

Still alot of confusion at the moment, so hard to know whats going on.
I ll add more as it's reported.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit : aljazeera has just reported : A second device, was defused, police said.

LINK

[edit on 22/2/09 by freemindmine]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Wow! I wonder if this will be blamed on the Taliban?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Why would it be blamed on the Taliban?, They have nothing to do with Egypt. You have lost me there.

[edit on 22/2/09 by freemindmine]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

What the hell?

Whatever gives you that idea.....the taliban arent even in Egypt as far as we know.

To the Op, keep us posted with updates if you can, I hope there were no Aussies there

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

probably,

but when you know this fact for example:

en.wikipedia.org...

The Lavon Affair refers to the scandal over a failed Israeli covert operation in Egypt known as Operation Susannah, in which Israeli military intelligence planted bombs in Egyptian, American and British-owned targets in Egypt in the summer of 1954 in the hopes that "the Muslim Brotherhood, the Communists, 'unspecified malcontents' or 'local nationalists'" would be blamed.[1] It became known as the Lavon Affair after the Israeli defense minister Pinhas Lavon, who was forced to resign because of the incident, or euphemistically as the Unfortunate Affair (Hebrew: העסק הביש‎, HaEsek HaBish). Israel admitted responsibility in 2005 when Israeli President Moshe Katzav honored the nine Egyptian Jewish agents who were involved.[2]

then anything is possible

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
At the moment they are saying that four people have died in the blast, including a French woman and another foreigner.

At least 18 other people were wounded including 11 French, three Germans and four Egyptians.

There are also reports that the bomb was thrown from a motorbike.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by freemindmine

Well that definently doesnt soubnd like Taliban then

Usually when the Taliban bomb something, the bomber goes up with the bomb

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

The Tailban was the last thing I was thinking, They have enough trouble at the moment with out going to Egypt.

This was on Al Jazeera-

It was not clear who was behind the attack or if tourists had been deliberately targeted. "Investigations are at a preliminary stage at the moment," Amr el-Kahky, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Cairo, said. "It is very difficult to speculate whether foreigners were the target of this attack. "All the Islamic groups that were operating and were violent in the nineties [in Egypt] have issued an initiative in which they declared a unilateral ceasefire against the Egyptian government." The historic district was the scene of a previous bomb attack in 2005 in which two tourists were killed and 18 wounded.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by freemindmine

Yeah I wasnt thinking that either, but for those that were thinking it, it can probably be ruled out due to how the bomb was deployed.

Will be interesting to see if any of those groups who are apparently under the ceasefire, come forward claiming responsibilty for it

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The bomb went off in Khan al Khalili which is one of the most popular places in Cairo for tourists to shop for all kinds of egyptian tourist memorabilia. The place is one little stall on top of the next. Something like a massive fleamarket.

This is at least the second time that a bomb has gone off in Khan Al Khalilli

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It seems that they are 'involved' in almost every attack in the region from Iraq to India. By supposedly pushing their attacks westward, whomever is actually behind the attacks would further destabilize the Arab nations.

Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Here is a picture we took when we went to Egypt. This is a typical day at Khan Al Khalili - if you look closely you will even see me. You will notice the place is packed with people. Tourists a plenty.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9d04a588cc80.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 22-2-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
i have been to the khan also. its the perfect place to hide a bomb. so much stuff everywhere crowded allys. man what a mess. i wonder who is responsible, maybe the muslim brotherhood, but who knows.

the sad thing is is this will hurt tourism and that will hurt all the egyptian people even worse. there is already such horrible poverty there.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
A little bit more news from SKY

A second bomb failed to detonate immediately but later blew up in a controlled explosion, police said. It is thought the bombs were thrown from a rooftop overlooking the bustling Khan el Khalili market in medieval Cairo, witnesses said.

So now some witnesses are saying it was thrown from a rooftop, maybe one from the motorbike( that went off) and the one from the roof which was detonated by the police?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well, let's hope it's some one off nutter who is bored with nothing to do. Youth unemployment is rife in Cairo and it is truly sad to see young men hanging around the streets with nothing to do except sexually harass women (Egyptian & tourists alike).

You know I have always had a sneaky feeling that the Muslim Brotherhod are going to start gaining strength and will have the support of the young who want jobs and security. Pre marital sex is taboo in Egypt and if you are not working to be able to povide a home for a wife then YOU CAN'T GET MARRIED. It's not hard to see how the young will start getting frustrated. God help them all. I think the Muslim Brotherhood will make the Taliban look like boy scouts and ultimately tourism will suffer.

I don't feel positive about Egypt's future at all.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'd say it could very well be Israeli's...

further destabalising another muslim country.....................

They've been doing it for a long time now all over the world. Only now it's slowly becoming common knowledge.

Although to suggest that they are alone would be foolish.

edit: But in all honesty until we find out more facts, i'm gonna stop waving the finger. Just pure speculation...

[edit on 22-2-2009 by mr-lizard]

top topics

join