It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get ready for food shortages

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
U.S. to tighten tap for farmers
Central Valley prepares for hard times with smaller crops and fewer jobs. Some urge state intervention.

In a blow to the state's almond groves and other crops, federal officials announced Friday that they may not be able to provide water for the upcoming growing season in parts of the Central Valley.

To cope with the continuing drought, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation will not provide water for agriculture beginning in March to at least 200 local water districts in that region, agency spokeswoman Lynnette Wirth said. Municipalities and industrial customers will receive half of their allotments.

"This year is on the heels of two previous critically dry years, and this is the third year in a row," Wirth said, adding that the last time the bureau faced such a shortfall was in 1992.

Also on Friday, the California Department of Water Resources projected that it would be able to allocate only 15% of what its contractors -- including the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California -- have sought.

Matt Notley, a spokesman for the Department of Water Resources, said most of its supply is used by cities and towns, but there would be enough water to meet health and safety needs.

Still, Notley said, cities "should already have a plan in place" that may include mandatory rationing to deal with the shortage, and that Californians may be asked to reduce their water usage by as much as 20%.

Federal water may be cut off from Calif. farms (ATSNN)

Los Ageles Nears Water Rationing (ATSNN)

This has the making of very bad food shortages. You can also add the trouble with banks and the government to the mix because some of these food shortages will be caused by their interventionism. Banks will topple every industry in America. Including farms and other food producers. The government will step in and start rationing food and this will lead to further shortages. The collapse of the dollar can do this when the government begins to implement price controls.

This are not looking good from my end people. I have alot of hippy friends, and others who tell me that i should be more positive...But when you're in the trenches of information gathering...Such things seem far, far less realistic.

But I won't lose hope...It's all any of us have been left with anyway.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by projectvxn]

[edit on 20-2-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I am wondering how much more of this, the average citizen who has been oblivious to the financial crisis has to listen to before they freak out. They have been going on and on about it for almost 3 months now and we are only now seeing very small reactions over it. I guess another 3 and they will be panicking...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

I'm going shopping tomorrow.

I'm not waiting until it's too late.

I'm just glad it's friday and the stock markets are closed.

Screw it, if people want to be ignorant then let them. I'm tired of trying to let everyone know what is happening.

I'm not going to be one of those people who are caught of guard. I'm going to be ready.

I suggest everyone out there with any small thought of doubt on where this country is going to do the same.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

But I won't lose hope...It's all any of us have been left with anyway.

You don't have to lose hope, just don't let that hope not prepare you for what could come.

It most certainly is looking far from good right now. We are flirting with collapse. I don't know how much longer we are going to be able to keep this going.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Preparation is all I have done. I'm ready as I'll ever be. For now though, my job is to inform as many as I can. Even if they don't listen.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I spent a week in our city where the weather was so bad that turcks carring food, etc. could not get in.. Within a few days there was nothing on the shelves to buy. That ishow fast food flew off the shelves. I just keep thinking we are heading to a place where if there is food to buy we will not be able to afford it. Then what. I have been storing food and water for months now. I do not want to be caught unaware or without. The fools out there that think it is going to get better will be suprised I fear.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Maybe if they tossed out the 10 million illegals in the state, they'd have enough water.

Not a chance. Walmart and the other illegal-alien profiteers give arnie millions of $ a year to leave the illegals alone.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It makes you wonder if they will shut down all the car washes and swimming pools in Calif. Looks to me that watering crops would be a much more efficent use of water resources.

David
All anyone can really do is be prepared.Take care of youself and your family,plant and raise your own food,invest in enough lead and powder to protect what is rightfully yours. Survival of the fit!!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
It makes you wonder if they will shut down all the car washes and swimming pools in Calif. Looks to me that watering crops would be a much more efficent use of water resources.

We had a terrible drought in North Carolina (and much of the rest of the SE US) in 2007. They shut down everything non-essential that used water. No filling of swimming pools, no water features at the miniature golf course, and only car washes that recycle their water could stay open. We couldn't even fill our dog's baby pool for him to play in. Watering of gardens was permitted twice a week within a three-hour window. However, farms could apply for exemptions to the restrictions for obvious reasons. At one point our city was down to a 17 day supply of water, but the restrictions really did help stretch out what we had. Seems like measures like these should be permanent in a place like CA where there aren't adequate natural sources of water.

BTW David, your avatar makes me laugh every time I see it.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
California in drought emergency

California's Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has declared a state of emergency because of a severe drought.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

California is a mess. i'm glad I don't live there though i feel bad for those who do.

Michigan is in bad shape as well...but California is by far the worst of them all.

Unemployment hit over 10 percent there as well.

Good luck to those out there...you are going to need it.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
California in drought emergency

California's Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has declared a state of emergency because of a severe drought.

Ok folks, have to weigh in here with my two cents. I live in the California foothills, above Sacramento. Our lakes are full from all of the rain. Folsom Lake is already near full capacity. It has rained and rained and rained. It is going to rain some more, for weeks on end (projected). I think that Arnold declared CA in a drought for two reasons, neither being that we are in a drought.

1. If he declares a drought now, the state can get money from the fed for emergency purposes.

2. It is a way to cut the farmers off before they even have hope of a bountiful growing season.

I do not like to think about this being a conspiracy...but sure looks like one from where I sit. On the news here, local MSM talks about how all the rain we have had has not helped. What??? Where is all the rain going then?
Maybe they are trying to drive people out of this state on purpose? Thin out the farmers, and worse!

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

I do not like to think about this being a conspiracy...but sure looks like one from where I sit. On the news here, local MSM talks about how all the rain we have had has not helped. What??? Where is all the rain going then?
Maybe they are trying to drive people out of this state on purpose? Thin out the farmers, and worse!

I have to agree with this. This looks like a set up.

I am suspicious of the feds wanting California coast to use for drilling. Arnie has been standing in the way - but not anymore if this goes down. They want access to the west coast up to Alaska.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Well if this applies to exotic types of produce like Almonds which are not considered a staple.
Then they could be trying to save the water for other more essential crops like corn and wheat and vegetables.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen
Well if this applies to exotic types of produce like Almonds which are not considered a staple.
Then they could be trying to save the water for other more essential crops like corn and wheat and vegetables.

Nice thought there, but in the Sacramento Valley alone there are so many essential crops I am not wanting to type them all out. We do grow almonds here, but also rice, every fruit, corn, wheat, and nearly every vegetable. In fact, California produces one Fifth of the WORLDS food!
That is no joke. If CA farmers are burdened, then so is the world!

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thanks for that fun food fact!
And thanks for keeping up on it and
letting us know whats going on there!

[edit on 28-2-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

In fact, California produces one Fifth of the WORLDS food!

Now wait a minute. That can't be true.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45

In fact, California produces one Fifth of the WORLDS food!

Now wait a minute. That can't be true.

While it may not seem likely...It is true! I will post just a few relilable sources of information here for backup.

Agriculture
Agriculture (including fruit, vegetables, dairy, and wine production) is a major California industry. In fact, California is the world's fifth largest supplier of food and agriculture commodities.[6] Agriculture accounts for just slightly over 2% of California's $1.55 trillion gross state product

en.wikipedia.org...

FOR 50 YEARS, CALIFORNIA HAS BEEN THE NUMBER ONE agricultural state in the nation. Last year's cash farm receipts were nearly double those of Texas, its closest competitior.

danr.ucop.edu...

California's agriculture industry is number one in the nation, and number one in the world.

California Farm Bureau

[edit on 28-2-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I live in Northern Nevada. We are keenly aware of California's agricultural contribution. Hence the purpose of the thread. There is now a serious threat to our nations food supply. Coupled with economic disparity and we have a potential humanitarian crisis on our hands. This is something we really need to consider to be a very real probability. And plan accordingly.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Yes get ready for less organic produce and more artificial supplements..(Because it's good for you....So BUY it)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join