It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen to religion if...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
What would happen to religion if it’s doctrines and predictions under went the same scrutiny that scientist must undergo?

I have started reading a book that some claim to explain the scientific method in layman terms ("The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan ). This is an avenue I have not explored and have always avoid Carl Sagan stuff. I might say I really enjoy his writing so far. I thought it would be like trying to understand William F. Buckley Jr. and its not.

Since i don't understand their method this book sounded interesting. I am only starting chapter 2 ( I read sssslllllooooooowwwww :@@
and the above question came to mind.

The second question is: are there any other easy to understand books on the scientific method?

Any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
There is a Genius Of Design aka GOD.
GOD is NOT religion.
All religions are man-made, giving false consciousness of a glorious heaven and the fear of hell.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ctjctjctj
GOD is NOT religion.

God is not religion. You are absolutely right.
But God is a concept. Something people imagine. Something people want to believe in. God can be a damn good excuse for taking responsibilities. God can be consolation if one is sad. God can be everything, because God is all in your mind.

Let me see, if I say there is an invisible Banana, creator of everything, dancing to reggae music in Banana-City, unfortunately you will only get their when you are dead and only if you behave on earth, then this isn't a religion either. Will you believe it? Yes or no? If not, why?

Greetings

PS: There is life after death that's what I know, because I have been shown many things. But I still don't know if God is real.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by TheWriter]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWriter

Didnt he already answer that?

All religions are man-made, giving false consciousness of a glorious heaven and the fear of hell.

Dance on invisible banana. Who cares what somebodys "god" is?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It would be impossible to use simple scientific means to evaluate religion. For all religions the main source is their "holy book" and if you do not take that as the fact they use it as, no way will it work. I am of the opinion that religion is in part the reason for so much misery and pain on the planet. When people use god as their rationale for murder they feel completely justified. What a crock it all is. red

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Oolon

What would happen to religion if...?

Well perhaps we are about to find out what....soon.

How much longer will God tolerate the farce called religion?

"...for we have made a lie our refuge and in falsehood we have concealed ourselves." - Isaiah

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oolon
The second question is: are there any other easy to understand books on the scientific method?

It's pretty simple, actually.

* you see something happening (anything at all)
* you take measurements to get an exact description (someone got well? what was their diagnosis, who confirmed it, what was the prognosis, has anyone else had this and gotten well, how long did it take, how many people are handicapped or killed by this? Some new form of energy? how much output does it have, what are the inputs, who else has built this, what happens when a bunch of professors at different universities build it, how long does it last, what effects does it have (magnetic, spectrum) and so forth)
* you look at what you collected and make an idea about why this is happening.
* you read up on the phenomena to see who else observed it and what they thought about it (so you don't duplicate their methods unless you've found something they say that's squirrelly.)
* you form a hypothesis (a mathematical model or a process model) that says "if you do this (exactly) you will get this exact result." You calculate the odds of the result occurring (we look for a 95% rate in the results.)
* you check the hypothesis. You also have a test of "if this isn't right then in a series of 50 tests we will see it fail more than 5 times"
* if the hypothesis fails, go back to the data and see what else might be going on. Talk to others in the field about the results.
* if the hypothesis appears to be right, publish and give talks about it. Take feedback from everyone to refine your theory.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
"When you have eliminated the impossible then whatever remains however improbable must be true." - Sherlock Holmes

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
A few people applied the Scientific Method to religion even before anyone else knew there was such a thing.

They were the Sufis.

Unfortunately, even they degenerate over time.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Thank you all for your input!

Byrd, that was very helpful. Thank you!

new topics

top topics

join