It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blockbuster giving away "Gringo" voodoo dolls ahead of soccer match.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
interesting stance in regards that blockbuster carries censored videos.
that's the single reason why i stopped giving them my money.
nice...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Please!

I have worked in restaurants for 25 years, speak relatively decent Spanish, and always have been considered La Raza by my Hispanic friends.

Never, not once, have I heard the term "gringo" used in anything but a derogatory way, unless it was joking between two friends. Even then, it used in a way that meant something like, I call you this, because you know I don't really mean it.

Anyone arguing anything to the contrary is playing an angle.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellish-D
reply to post by groingrinder

I would not call it racist. If it were a basketball team, or a football team, and they were black, it would make sense.

As you can see, most of the US National Soccer Team is white.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Hellish-D]

First, I see maybe 4 white guys on that team. Several hispanics, and a couple black guys. Your whole argument isnt holding any water there D.

The fact is that Gringo is a derogatory, and racist term. Lets say an NBA basketball team, was playing a charity game for a Zoo which was damaged in a natural disaster. We all know that there are numerous caucasions (and other races) in the NBA, so my example is generally similar to the Soccer team. Lets also say that this Zoo is renowned for their numerous Great Ape exibits. Now, lets say the Zoo decided to put out a doll to promote the event which was a monkey in basketball uniform. We dont even have to have any name stenciled on the back of it. Guess what, the NAACP and other organzations would be outraged...Rightfully so, as this could be viewed as a racially ignorant figurine.

We all know that would not be right, and anyone in their right mind would never approve such a promotion. This promotion that Blockbuster is putting on is a joke and is a racially themed doll. The term Gringo is used to mock those who are not like the native Mexicans, thus it is defamation motivated by racial lines. er...um....thats racist isn't it?

Hellish-D, you have a pathetic argument which is obviously based on the fact that this is not a racial issue pointed toward the Blacks, which based on your choice use of verbage in your location and the area around you avatar you so obviously are African American.

I know my example isnt spot on with what is going on, but you get my drift. And, like so many others in this Great Hypocritcal Country of the United States of America, issues like this are always viewed from one side and never seen from all those effected. Reverse Racism exists in all areas of our country, culture and lives, and if we all continue to ignore it in fear of 'hurting someones feelings' it will continue to segregate all races in the world.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I know that in France a company made vodoo dolls of Sarkosy and they declared it legal to sell even if the president made a Court appeal.. It is debateble if a person`s image could or should be used for such a thing...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

reply to post by g raj

Just pointing out the obvious. I'm not defending the act in any way.

I could not make it past page two. The topic was already in bubblegum mode, chewing the same thing over and over again.

Just a touch of reality here -

You are in a confrontational mood and so is the OP. Which of course makes for a chuckle or two and some light reading.
You perhaps went a bit to far with your personal attack.

Reality is that this is the exact effect Blockbuster intended this ad campaign to produce. The more of this that goes on the better job their advertising firm has done. They fully intended it to offend some and delight the Mexican audience they were targeting.

As to what Mexicans mean by Gringo? Throw the Dictionaries away. Useless paper. Having spent a few days in villages away from the tourist traps, I understand what they mean perfectly. It is most certainly a Racial Slur, directed at White Americans. It is also used the other way as term of affection towards a White American they like when you are sharing a bottle of Tequila.

Personally however, I think this is a lot of something about nothing. It is funny which ever nationality you are.

You are both wrong. The OP is too touchy and you are too confrontational and spoiling for an argument. I recommend a Dos Equis with a Lime and perhaps a shot of Tequila. Then, take out an effigy of one another and stick pins in them until you feel better.

[edit on 2/12/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

You might want to take into account that, as gringo refers to blacks as well, by comparison, gringo is a relatively innocuous word, when compared to n*****, honkey, redneck, coon, chink, slope and the many other slurs available.

I find it quite ironic that in this particular forum it is considered a "politically correct" compulsion to use "n*****" as a symbol for a word we must NEVER use, ostensibly because someone may be offended.

But the freedom to bandy about words such as "honkey, redneck, coon, chink, slope, " is seemingly offered without hesitation.

~All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others~

Hmmmmmmm.......

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
On a somewhat related note, I watched the match, and I could clearly hear an organized chant of "gringa gringa gringa gringa..."

So, at a match in Columbus, Ohio, we have supporters of the Mexican soccer team calling the US Men's National Team "white foreign women" ...

What American could possibly find that offensive?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Hellish-D, you have a pathetic argument which is obviously based on the fact that this is not a racial issue pointed toward the Blacks, which based on your choice use of verbage in your location and the area around you avatar you so obviously are African American.

But that's just the thing. It was pointed towards blacks, since there are black members of the soccer team, and the term gringo refers to blacks as well.

What is particularly interesting is how the area around my avatar comes into play for the readers of this forum. Some have referred to me in this thread, as well as via u2u as being an 'angry black', where if one were to go back through the thread, you wouldn't find a single emotionally charged post. I wonder how much of that inference comes from the intense looking Samuel L. Jackson avatar. Certainly a topic for my next psych class.

In any case, there certainly isn't an offense towards race here, only an offense toward nationality which is often incorrectly perceived as racism. I'll sit back and observe from now on. It's much more interesting.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I guess Mexican voodoo no work...

Final score USA 2 Mexico 0

I'd agree this is a proof that vodoo doesn't work, but apparently namecalling does. Those who call others a name cannot say "that's not offensive!". Whether it is offensive or not is up to the person receiving the unwanted label to decide. I'm also confused why "the n word" has asterisks (bleeped) for the rest of the word whereas the other derrogatory terms do not. I see yet another inconsistency.

Namecalling is meant to demean and incite the opposition. Did they succeed?

I saw the the game on Univision last night. My spanish isn't very good, but like to try to pick up words where I can. I agree there is a double standand here, as others have mentioned simply reverse the scenario and examine to see if there would be a problem. Indeed there would be.

I'm grateful that we can discuss race globally on ATS in a civilized manner (as long as it's civil) because not more than twenty years ago it wasn't possible. We know from American history that the U.S. pretty much booted out a good chunk of Mexico out of the southwest (mind you Mexico formed from Spain booting the Aztecs and other Native Americans). It's a bloody history and anger comes from all sides, but it's 2009 and the boarders between countries are becoming less important. So, let's drop the name calling on both sides and get to the real business of humanity: healthcare, industry, commerce, the environment, representation, liberty, having a home, having a job, etc. Riots because of imaginary lines are absurd, riots over a sports event doubly so. Go USA! Or Mexico! As long as the team plays to their hearts and abilities, I have no reason to be upset.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Gringo....not offensive to me. Though I find it pretty interesting that a major corporation is using the word in advertising. Pretty gutsy. I would venture to say that there are probably way more Spanish speaking customers than any other demographic. So Blockbuster took a chance to boost some sales off of a series of sporting events. Theyll make money and will probably not loose any sleep or buisness over it.
Ive lived pretty close and became family with quite a few latinos. Never has one referred to black folk ,african American, people of color..whatever the PC term is.... as a gringo..usually the termenology is much worse. Ive been called Gringo more times than I can count and every time its been called to me in a friendly spirit.
Kike, Spic, Coon, Spearchucker, Jap, Slope, Honkey, Peckerwood, Cracker, Spook, Injun, Redskin, Polock, Krautt, Gook are all words that to me are race speciffic.
To me "Gringo"is not, Nor is "Nigger". Call me a gringo, no big deal. Call me a 'n-word', and youll probably have a fight on your hands. Keep in mind Im caucasion,(hienz 57) and this word(If I am called it) offends me to my core. Like "Gringo", "Nigger" does not refer to a race. Nigger just refers to the lowest form of scum describeable. "Gringo" Is just a non hispanic, right?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
so if gringo is a racist term, does that mean looney tunes cartoons were racist?

i cant remember who, but some character was mexican and always said stuff like "eh, gringo" when he spoke.

edit, here we go.

"el gringo pussy gato"

i think the two crows that sat in a tree and sang songs super slow (as if drunk) also said gringo quite a lot.

/me thinks some ats users do protest too much about nothing

[edit on 17/2/09 by Obliv_au]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join