It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. counties threaten to keep taxes from state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Calif. counties threaten to keep taxes from state

www.google.com

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California counties are considering forms of tax revolt after the state imposed a 30-day payment delay that could potentially become much longer under Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's proposal to preserve cash.

The Riverside County Board of Supervisors has authorized staff to file a lawsuit, while elected officials in Colusa County decided to impose a 30-day delay on sending any taxes and fees it collects to the state after the state controller announced a delay in refunds to taxpayers, money for college tuition-assistance programs and payments to state vendors starting Feb. 1.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-2-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Sheesh, this is turning into a bigger mess by the day it seems.

Is this what it may come down to, counties and cities no longer cooperating with the states and federal gov bodies?

At the rate we're going, it may start to snowball into this type of revolt.

This could get very, very ugly in a hurry...

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
hell ya finally someone in local level government grows a pair and protects its people. if we didnt pay our taxes we would be charged to the teeth and could end up in prison.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by invisibleman11

Yeah, which makes me wonder what is going to happen to these people if they stick to their guns.

With all the secession talk taking place in various areas, I wonder if this may end up being the start of a mass movement?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It will be interesting for sure. I'd love to see some people in San Fransisco just flat out stop paying their taxes entirely and then get the mayor to apply the same "safe haven" laws they already use to protect illegal immigrants to protect them from IRS prosecution.

To be honest, it would also be pretty incredible to see what the courts would decide if the various agencies and individuals who recieve these IOUs from the state, in turn, send the state the very same type of IOU on any money they owe back to the state. I guarantee we'd see the courts involved in that almost instantly. That said, one disadvantage to all of these theatrics is that they simply push the state's budget further down the spiral.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If this helps develop smaller communities and smaller economies then I am all for it.

There will be struggles either way, but this is protectionism on a smaller scale. And I think it's the right thing to do for each regional government.

Good on them for sticking up for their citizens against the big bad leaders making all the wrong decisions.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I live in Northern California and I am pretty sure that what alot of people don't understand is this....So far over the last 6+ months we have been getting cut off from EVERYTHING that has to do with city and county funding at the state levels.
These people are protecting their areas from a full blown fall out, the monies dried up quite sometime ago and cities are being forced to ask for help (in the form of people they have had to "fire" ) asking these same people to volunteer due to the fact that so many of the budgets are flat out gone. My city for one is only about 2 million in the hole right now and they are tackling it by asking some to retire and putting a freeze on any hiring of the people who where contracted to be hired.( civil service etc.) They have made HEAVY cut backs on salaries and certain programs that the city normally funds to make up for the short fall.
There isn't much more that these city managers can do at this point. Holding back from sending in the taxes is the only way they are going to be able to keep police on the streets, firetrucks rolling and public works running. If and/or when these services crash it will be mayhem all over this state and these city managers know this. It isn't protectionism it's common sense.

join