It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSW to be hottest place on the planet with temperatures to top 47 degrees

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I spoke to a bloke the other day from Deniliquin, NSW, bout an hour north of Swan Hill, he said his thermometer recorded 49 one of the hot days last week in the shade.......

nothing else to do but drink ice cold beer in the shade in that weather.

The other day here weathermen have found one of the reasons for the dryness over southern australia in the past decade or so....its to do with ocean currents in the Southern Indian Ocean...that matched with the usual cycles of drought we exprience here is why we are having worse than records have been.

www.bcg.org.au...

The Indian Ocean Dipole is the measure of changes in sea surface temperature patterns
in the northern Indian Ocean.
It is derived from the difference in sea temperature between the western Indian Ocean
near Africa, and the eastern Indian Ocean near northern Australia.
A positive Indian Ocean Dipole is seen when
waters are warmer than normal near Africa, and
cooler than normal near Australia. This is
usually observed during El Niño events, and
usually results in less rainfall over South
Australia.
The opposite is broadly true—a negative
Indian Ocean Dipole is associated with warmer
waters off north-west Australia, and usually
results in increased rainfall over South
Australia.
These patterns vary over periods of weeks to
months. The dipole can be considered as the
tropical Indian Ocean equivalent of the El Niño -
Southern Oscillation effect in the Pacific Ocean.
The Indian Ocean Dipole effect was proposed in
the late 1990s, and is the subject of further research. As modelling of the ocean and
atmosphere improves, the ability to forecast these patterns of sea surface temperature is
also improving, so that forecasts several seasons ahead may be useful in the near future.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by YoungStalin
My friend Dr. Rufus Red lived in Whales for a while,......

Gosh - is there anywhere Dr. Rufus Red has not been or anything he hasn't done

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I live in Sydney and last week our only aircon went the way of the dinosaurs when it couldn't handle the 41 degree heat.

Now it's Friday evening and I'm looking forward to a weekend where it is going to top 45 degrees - with nothing but a fan that blows hot air at me.

I may as well be living on the sun I swear. Probably cheaper rent there too....

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evasius
This will be probably the hottest temperature I've ever experienced while living here in Australia. 47C is the equivalent of 116.6F. For the last few weeks temps of 30 and above have been standard here in NSW, with quite a few consecutive days in Victoria reaching above 40C.

Growing up in Kentucky, I grew accustomed to hot, humid summers. I remember the temperature getting up to around 105-108 before. There we had a thing called the 'heat index' that gave an estimate as to what it felt like given the amount of humidity in the air. 116F actual temp is way the heck above that for sure.

Both my hometown in KY, as well as where I currently live in Sydney have been hit by a number of extremes over the past 12 months. Western KY has so far had to declare emergencies 3 times over the past year (tornado, remnants of Ike, and now the latest ice storm). In my 23 years growing up there, not one emergency was declared. In the recent ice storm, my parents were without power for over a week...the situation was dire to say the least. The ice buildup on every tree was between 1-2 inches. The devastation across the area is immense.

Are these events just flukes, or are they yet more proof that the weather is continuing to fluctuate further into extremes? Is this a cycle, man-made, or both?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/2/09 by Evasius]

The wether is really weird. It seems to change all the time. Never constant and always in extremes. Must be a conspiracy. God is playing tricks on us yet again.

I live in Sydney and i didn't even have an aircon on...

There's a thing called reality...

[edit on 6-2-2009 by spacial]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
currently 45.8 degrees here in melbourne suburb of Caroline Springs....currently hottest place in the state-

www.csweather.net...

and its only 2pm, maximum temp will be at 4.30pm or there abouts. cool change expected round 7pm tonight,

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

Yep its damn hot here as well. 45.2c in the shade according to my weather station and a relative humudity of 12% down in the leaf suburb of Greensborough. Though looking at the trees those leaves are quickly browning and quite a few have dropped a lot of foliage. Even the older gums are looking a bit stressed

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
hopetown airport in northern victoria has just recorded 47.8 degrees.....

setting a new tempriture record for the state and the temps are still climbing as bushfires are breaking containment lines all over the state and dust storms fill the skies.

damn damn hot

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
you can see the plumes of smoke from the bush fires on the BOM website.. also check those temps out.. ouch!

its about 46 in the shade in Williamstown.. can't wait until that change comes through!

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I have a pretty commanding view of the west of Melbourne.
Dust and smoke has filled the sky for the whole day i can just make out the city and Westgate bridge.

I just hope the bushfires dont get too out of control.
Ash Wednesday is just waiting to happen again.
Im just glad I live in the middle of the city compared to the outter burbs.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It's 4:33PM here near Mornington on the peninsula, and 40.0 degrees, about an hour ago it was 41.5 degrees. Looks like I have it easy! I don't know what it was before that cause I was asleep.
Can't see across the bay, the sky is full of dust!

EDIT: YAY!!! 5:20PM here, South Westerly... now it's 'only' about 35C.

[edit on 7/2/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
sorry it is still so hot and uncomfortable for you guys in Victoria. I hope that you get a respite from this heat soon. It only reached about 36 here on the central coast of nsw today but we are expecting a hotter day tomorrow.

I still would not want to live anywhere else on this Earth

resi

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
You're all whingers!!!!! As bad as my wife wanting to run the A/C 24/7!

The human body can tolerate warm weather. Slow down, relax, stay in the shade and drink lots of fluids! Lucky it's a Saturday so we didn't have to do much.

Yeah, it was damn hot today in Melbourne. Strip off your clothes and use a spray bottle with water.

Go outside now, it's pleasant. Not much smoke in the air from the fires where I am.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join