It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to the Un-Employed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
To the un-employed, life can be hard at times I'm sure, especially if you WANT to find work.

Me personally, I've been out of work here in Australia for the last 18 months. I was let go from a $1500 a week job because I suddenly developed Epilepsy. My doctor took away my driving licence which meant (duh) I could no longer travel anywhere outside of major centres.

Nobody will hire me because they tell me my Epilepsy will be a 'risk' both to them and me. I tell them that I can tell when I am about to have a seizure, but they don't care. Most employers state that you need your own transportation to reach the place of work.

When employers ask me why I have been out of work for so long, and I tell them the above story, they make an excuse as to why they don't need me.

It is very sad, since I have looked hard and come up with nothing. I am skilled in a number of fields, but in this day and age of Company Insurance and Occupational Health and Safety, I am slowly losing my place.

Let us not forget that Job shortages here in Sydney are on the rise.

I have had a few part time jobs, but they never meet my monetary needs.

So, questions to the Un-Employed here at ATS:

How long have you been out of work?

What keeps you out of work?

Feel free to add anything you need....

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

Hi
i am from sydney too

i am new to the 'unemployed' club - and still haven't transitioned over in the 'official gov books' as i am a business owner.

Things were great for years - being self employed and all, till this darned credit crunch. I am in a line of work which is the first to feel it - and now six months later, I am very low on orders and even lower in cash flow.

So, i have decided to look for 'paid' work elsewhere. I have NEVER EVER had so much trouble finding a job. I was one of those people who would be employed within a week - but now its so different. It has been six weeks since i have started looking and every time i get knocked back with one of the following excuses;

* You are over qualified / experienced
* You are not qualified enough
* You are too senior for the role & will intimidate the manager
* You are not senior enough or Do not have specific experience in this niche

... It is freaking infuriating!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
It's funny that you mention that normally it is quite easy to get a Job.

It used to be.

The excuses that you listed at the end of your post sound quite familiar.

Here's hoping for you.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

that is the largest BS i have ever heard (not you)
Epilepsy and it may disrupt others,

i worked with someone that had Epilepsy and they worked fine
he did have a fit once but that never stopped the company from keeping him and funny enough hes still there.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Unrealised, I also worked with a guy who has Epilepsy, a pretty bad case too, (when it happens) but I never witnessed it myself.
My point is he had his license taken off him but got a medical drivers license, he drives all round the country (UK) for his job.
Can you look into a medical license in Aus?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Some people lie to get a job.

Don't know if that will work for you?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

That really does stink about your former employer. My brother has epilepsy and he's a CEO (one of the good ones I assure you).
-Keep the faith man.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I too found myself and my business tanking with this economic downturn.
I was forced to reinvent myself and work on a contractual basis and pick up the odd job when I could as a window washer with nothing more than some window cleaner, some rags, squeegee and a bucket. I asked my clients if they needed anything else fixed and they usually did. Thru the window washing gig, I have made contacts with movie production companies and now work part time as an background actor and grip.
Anyone not afraid to get their hands dirty can make a fair living as a handy man. Get a business license and some business cards and go to work.

Good Luck!!

top topics

join