It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*California officially out of money*

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
WOW!! I just watched how bad its going to be in California on our local fox news channel. Please understand I live in middle earth as some say, and when something is on the news here in this 40k town, # is hitting the fan. We will all see the riple very soon!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I live in socal and things are pretty bad here: on one of the main streets here I've watched some twelve businesses close up over the last six months or so with nothing replacing them. People acknowledge that things are bad, but so far assume that it's primarily local, because our poor excuse for a regional paper seldom reports anything remotely resembling real news: mostly regurge from New York, Washington, and L.A.; they lack the big picture viewpoint. The local mall lost a main anchor store last month, and now stands empty. I've spoken with a lot of folks who just don't want to focus on it, assuming that smarter and more capable people are working on it, and what can they do anyway......

But some do pay attention, just today two young neighbors dropped by and mentioned that they were stocking a bug-out bag. They said it was their primary objective over the next few weeks. They felt it was only a matter of time before the lights go out, and when they do, it'll be some time before things normalize. These are not well-educated people, but street-smart and living close enough to the edge to see the abyss and smart enough to know that their personal survival depends on them, and them alone. So they prepare.

Personally I begin my garden tomorrow: I'm planting extra of everything and beginning work on a well. I've also literally sharpened all of my knives, even the war-knives, and tightened security round about.

I expect the US to collapse sometime this year: the sooner it does so, the better it will be for California. We won't be burdened by supporting those rot-piles they call cities back east. We will be free to fully legalize marijuana (that in itself will jumpstart our economy), and once free of New York's fraudnincial banking system we will create a far more equitable system of finance.

But California going broke will have a vaster impact on the rest of the country than it will here: we support a lot of the country. If our economy goes down, what will all those contemptuous of California's treehuggers, gays, and Lala-landers do when we can't pay their bills?

www.taxfoundation.org...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
So I'm not surprised to hear this. I grew up in the Los Angeles area, but haven't lived there for the past 5 years. When I left that place, boy did I find out what a spoiled bunch we Californians are. And also how much the people of that state are getting ripped off (my family included).

I'm also extraordinarily intrigued by the web bot project(s), and saw this thread a while ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...and made a list of notes from it. The video states that as of summer 2009 the US is going to default on its debt and declare bankruptcy. I see this as the first sign of that happening.

I might have to start making friends with some of the local Amish families...

NOTE: Video no longer works! Bah those darn TOS.

[edit on 2/2/2009 by FarCrowd]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I think the economy is bad for business, however California the government is still pretty much going. I live in SoCal as well and they have enough money where they paid cops overtime to set up several 'sobriety' check points, and oh yeah, just for fun they had the smog Nazi's out with their test equipment on each car as well. I don't buy they are out of money as some of these 'pet' projects are still being funded. When they couldn't meet their budget last year these projects stopped.

If you haven't noticed, the CA cops are now carrying, next to their shotgun, an assault rifle. I first noticed the CHP carrying them in the last few months. I now see some of our local cops are carrying them as well. What do you think they are preparing for? They obviously have the money for equipment. What kind of target can not be stopped by their service handgun and shotgun?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GTORick

If you haven't noticed, the CA cops are now carrying, next to their shotgun, an assault rifle. I first noticed the CHP carrying them in the last few months. I now see some of our local cops are carrying them as well. What do you think they are preparing for? They obviously have the money for equipment. What kind of target can not be stopped by their service handgun and shotgun?

Yikes - I hadn't noticed that.
This can't be a good sign, ey?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

It was downright scary seeing that polished barrel right next to the shotgun. Chek out a CHP'r if you get the chance. I mean how many times does a highway cop actually shoot their pistol? Even then is it 5-6 rounds. Seriously, the carry Glocks with copkiller ammo, a shotgun and now an assault rifle? What couldn't they take down before with just a shotgun and Glock they need a probably automatic military rifle?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
While the pain hasn't gotten that noticeable yet, it's only a matter of time now before as everyone said, our whole infrastructure - city, county, and statewide begins crumbling down. What then will happen? Who will be the biggest collateral in this event?

In my mind, while all of us have some responsibility for not being civilly active and voicing our concerns earlier, it's a huge fallacy to propose that every Californian is collectively a failure.

I for one, am waiting for a window in this crisis to undo this self-imposed tyranny. What say all you other Californians? What are your plans on this, guys? Run? To another state that will collapse 6 months after us? Wait for an inevitable bailout that will only prolong the agony? Be a cold-shoulder survivalist and let those around you suffer?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
reply to post by wutone

It is interesting to hear from a Californian's perspective. I'm sure there has to be much frustration from an overwhelmingly high percentage of state residents.

I still am at wit's end--what happens now? If they are out of money, what's next? How do they operate? What is the true outcome of all this???

One thing a lot of ppl miss is that California is the 6th largest
economy in the world.

So its impact on the US when she falls will be very traumatic.

The 10% affected number is just where we are now.

What it will end up being is a fair bit larger than that as it
starts to 'snowball' down the side of the mountain.

The phrase 'domino effect' comes to mind.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpencerJ
What say all you other Californians? What are your plans on this, guys? Run? To another state that will collapse 6 months after us? Wait for an inevitable bailout that will only prolong the agony? Be a cold-shoulder survivalist and let those around you suffer?

37 million ppl in Cali. and I think you will see the full gambit of
approaches to it all. People will leave, ppl will be cold-shoulder
survivalists as you say.

The thing that would concern me is if something like the LA riots
breaks out in several of the major cities.

If a few of the fires make it to some pool supplies or other chemicals
you could have a really bad day.

The wildfires not too long ago in just one area was too much for the
firefighters to deal with, imagine that on a much larger scale.

I do not think this will end well.

Here is to hoping I am wrong.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by GTORick

Well they always have money for repression and police state mesures... but for helping the common folks, they are always in deficit or have to raise taxes.

California needs to be reformed, and fast. Close the border too. And LEGALIZE MARIJUANA.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

I was browsing the web earlier to see if I could find more coverage on this. Like others have reported, hardly a mention in the news. But here's something I did find: www.bayareacouncil.org...

It's a link to some advocacy group "advocating" a constitutional convention. I have been for this idea for little more than a year now, and I think it's becoming increasingly obvious to a lot of people that the only way to permanently solve our woes will be to start clean.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Legalize marijuana? Secure our borders? Roll back taxes? Hell, the sky's the limit.

Sometimes, I wonder if California is better off seceding or not, but then, I don't think many of us consider ourselves Californians before Americans. I know I don't.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SpencerJ

The ConCon may get hijacked and what comes out of it may
not be any better than what came out of Jekyll Island in 1913.

Some ppl have even been putting out warnings about the ConCon
being a front for kicking off the Amero and the NAU.

If that happens, I think we will see some REALLY bad things go down.

It is also one of the scenarios I am watching to possibly unfold and
if it goes violent then bugout for awhile til things cool down again.

Hopefully it is all just a theory and everything ends happy go lucky.

But I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
legalization of marijuana would help california significantly as long the dea recognizes that and stops raiding all the tax paying shops which could bring significant revenue to the state, and the nation if done on the national level

i lived in california for a great period of my life

and i truly feel the biggest thing holding california down is the abundance of illegal immigration

its one thing to have a multicultural society, its another to have absolutely no control over your borders and having a state over run like a house is over run by roaches

many will call that comment racist or prejudice or ignorant, but they probably are the ones who are either illegal, or haven't experienced 1st hand what such an abundance of illegal immigration does to an area

closing the borders and deporting illegals would open up several jobs, take off a large amount of strain on public systems and rejuvenate our country significantly

so often people are quick to say, oh our country wouldn't run without illegal immigration, they do all the jobs we dont want to do

i say bs, they do those jobs because they can be hired cheaper, i know plenty of out of work people who would love to work in agriculture, construction, etc, but they cant get the job, yet every day millions of american dollars are being sent out of the country to foreign nations from these illegal immigrants who do have the jobs, and those that dont have jobs and arent sending money out of the country, are just collecting money from our government and putting a tremendous strain on our health care system and even our homeless system, we would have a lot more resources available for our nationals if we didnt have to provide those same services to illegals

i have met a lot of people and consider a lot of people who are illegal immigrants or former illegal immigrants my friends and it would truly be a sad shame to see them deported

however, this is about a way of life, this is about a nation, about survival, and at some point if we want to preserve that nation we must do what it takes to, and one of the 1st steps to do so is to close borders and start deporting

then and only then could we have a true handle on terrorism, then and only then could we possibly ever have a hope to have a handle on the drug war, and then and only then could we open up millions of jobs for nationals who are here legally but just like our forefathers, if we want change, if we want a truly great nation we must learn to make sacrifices, we need to figure out what we are willing to and what we can sacrifice to save our nation

long ago we said give us your poor your sick etc, but now it is us who are poor sick etc, if we hope to ever be a place of paradise that can offer people hope, we must do what it takes to make the changes needed before our country fails

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

How would a statewide convention be the basis for an amero?

Look, I know there's a lot to lose going into something like this, specially on the national level. But we're not talking about that. Our state's constitution is one of the most bloated, not just in the union, but in the world, riddled with typical progressive "civil law" codes and various contradictions. It's a product of the times - set up to cripple the "robber barons" since the 1880's.

And yet for all these constitutional protections, we've still undergone several revisions, latest being in 1994, for the failure of this document.

As is, our current fiscal impasse is not new. It's been around 20 years, and the timebomb has finally activated. If that doesn't warrant some significant action, I don't know what will. People need to know that this isn't just for the politicians to settle now. And only a constitutional convention will wake them up.

You think they're going to tolerate some gerrymandering on such a critical issue as this? Or seriously throw out all our civil liberties? Plus, we always have the option of a "limited" constitutional convention, which as far as I know, is unbreachable at the state level (but can be loopholed at the federal). We don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water. But something's gotta give.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

Illegal immigration is but one of the myriad problems that are facing us as a whole. But for many, it is a means to an end. What you are describing as the true problem in America is welfare, and to a large extent, you are correct.

Remove welfare, downsize this ginormous "safety net" we have, simplify our immigration policy and you'll see a vast number of these illegals returning home. Also end birthright citizenship. No need to build a "fence" or bring back the army. Use that money for other purposes like rebuilding our infrastructure.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by KonigKaos

The problem is here we have all these government salaries to pay for restricting our lives in every posible facet. We pay more tax for everything, why? The government has a billion new laws which we are not even aware are being passed. Such as the state can steal your children even when you have never abused or harmed you child based on their opinion that "you might possibly in the future, this is called risk of future maltreatment or neglect" They really want the under 3 yr olds they get bonus money for adopting your child out to strangers, it doesn't matter if you have family available, if they don't feel like it they will just throw your kid into foster care. Which is not the savior they claim. More kids are dying from foster care then are being saved from bad parents. By the thousands texas alone had 203 in 2002 206 in2003 212 in 2004 and 197 kids DEAD in state care!! By nonbio parents. I'd give you ca's data but they didn't report their foster deaths. Go figure.

I have seen more cops more social workers more probation officers and corrections officers launching ads hiring non stop, they pay 40 an hour just to train you!Its a lucrutive bussiness to get into. There are more people in jail and prisons for being under the influence of pot and meth .........no other crime no record! They let the violent offenders and child molesters and rapists out to abuse again ......they're registered right. No they are mentally ill ......unmanageable bad criminals, they like to weaken and control and force their laws down your throat, look at what happened to agnews! The problem is we have let them take our rights our freedom our children our freaking right to bare arms. Oops can't buy amo now unless its incoded. Who the f--- has the money to serialize every bullet? Iou gunna cover that?
If someone stole my car I'd have more options to getting my car back then I have if cps takes my child. We can vote on installing a freeway but had no knowledge laws were being passed regarding our own children and what rights we have to them.

There are drones combing the santa cruz mountains if this state is so f---ing poor how come law enforcement has these new mini copters they are using to spy on people with? They lie and say they are just used for safety or to find lost people and thats crap. This is where the money is going. I afraid to spot out gum on my own 15 acres because they are combing for criminals everyone is a criminal its just a matter of time before your caught.
An illegal alien can get unlimited welfare for them and their whole family, health care food stamps cash aide much larger then a white citizen with 1 kid who needs just a little help because a crisis happened. My daughters dad had a brain hemorrage at 43 he was an undiagnosed diabetic. I worked always have, I asked for once for some help and I got 235 a month with 149 in food stamps. My nonlegal buddy has 1 kid same age as mine and she got 734 a month cash and 525 food stamps.
We need to stand up for our freedom quit lying down and just taking their abuse of our lives. Problem is no one has the balls to fight anymore. Instead we turned into a country of dishonorable people, using another to gain positions not caring whose life we wreck as long as it saves our own hides.

wake up california notice the banks got bailed out but the home owners got screwed even when loan companies knew the rates were unmanageable or near impossible to pay off, they just didn't think the housing market would take a dive so they got caught with their pants down forclosing unsellable property. Not one mention of helping the home owners not even a little bit. This sucks who we elected has turned against us and we all pay the price.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SpencerJ

"How would a statewide convention be the basis for an amero?"

Canada says NO...

You cannot have our resources, We do not want your debt. You torture people.

Your Country can join with Mexico and compete with their workers for jobs if you so choose; heck, you are competing with them now - and how's that working out for you?

Edit: You Americans always forget about Canada when discussing the Amero...

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
why not just make america a 49 state country

i was going to attend the clairvoyants meeting but it was canceled due to unforeseen events.

two cannibals are eating a clown one cannibal turns to the other and asks "Does this taste funny to you"

war does not determine who is right - only who is left

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I can solve their money crunch, shut down the wellfare system and take it on a case by case basis, case by case meaning, check for a legal valid United States citizen(SOMEONE NEEDS TO SLAP NANCY PELOSI AND YOU GUYS NEED TO STOP THE HAND OUT WAGON TO CITIZENS OF MEXICO), second close the methodone clinics, 3rd stop all payment to Planned Parenthood asap. 4th Quit investing in codoms to pass out to high school students, make them pay for them themselves if they want to have sex - I had to buy my own. 5th Cut all state income tax to mom and pop businesses, companys that fall under the 4 million a year mark, those are the companies that employ the majority of the work force, that would not only stimulate jobs but it would draw upstart companies into the state, much like it did druing the silcone vally years. And the last one, the one all the far left loons are going to hate.. cut the strings on the nanny state, cut the state goverment and programs to bare bones. Yes initially your going to hear alot of crying but within a year you would start to see an improvement.

BTW - they could use this as a model for the federal goverment too.

Dramey, you have to be joking..lol.. "legalization of marijuana" , the only thing that is going to do is take the pressure off you being worried about being busted for a couple of plants in your backyard plus make it easier for you to buy your crap and zone out. Legalizing any drug is not going to help your state out of any recession. The way you think is exactly what got your state into the mess its in, what? you want to go compleltly 3rd world on us?

[edit on 3-2-2009 by alienj]

[edit on 3-2-2009 by alienj]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join