It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"ENOUGH : Breaking Free from the World of More"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
By John Naish

women.timesonline.co.uk...

For millions of years, humankind has used a brilliantly successful survival strategy. If we like something, we chase after more of it: more status, more food, more info, more stuff. Then we chase again. It’s how we survived famine, disease and disaster to colonise the world. But now, thanks to technology, we’ve suddenly got more of everything than we can ever use, enjoy or afford. That doesn’t stop us from striving though and it’s making us sick, tired, overweight, angry and in debt. It burns up our personal ecologies and the planet’s ecology too. We urgently need to develop a sense of ‘enough’. Our culture keeps telling us that we don’t yet have all we need to be happy, but in fact we need to nurture a new skill – the ability to bask in the bounties all around us. ENOUGH explores how our Neolithic brain-wiring spurs us to build a world of overabundance that keeps us hooked on ‘more’. John explains how, through adopting the art of enoughness, we can break from this wrecking cycle. With ten chapters on topics such as Enough food, Enough stuff, Enough hurry and Enough information, he explores how we created the problem and gives us practical ways to make our lives better.

I think that we have to replace the primitive instinct of “more” by something like this “art of enoughness”.
The implications of this philosophy are profound as well as for us, citizens of the western developed world, than for the less rich citizens of the world. Also for the relationship between us and them.

If we are not able to change the mind of man, we are all doomed.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Brilliant find, Orkson! S & F!!

Along with putting the brakes on boundless consumption, homo sapiens would do well to at the very least consider applying the "enough" principal to reproduction...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Couldn't have thought it better.

The only thing that is too bad is the fact that for some reason we think we need a guide, or 'how to' know of this 'enoughness'(if thats even a word).

Definitely agree though.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
ITs a given that the need to accumulate things is an inate drive. I have often said how much excess do you need? If mankind is to survive into the future we must redirect this drive toward knowledge.Imagine an insatiable thirst for knowledge,shared by all mankind.I know it is a utopian concept but,it's a great thought non the less.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
From J. Naish, I found a very interesting article : "The hippy guide to Keynesian economics"

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Reminds that J.M. Keynes was not only a genious as an economist, but also a visionaire : economy is not a goal, but a mean.

new topics

top topics

join