It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Banned in Homes-California Adopts 'Hitler's Policy'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by toochaos4u
That's it! I am going to file to have old woman perfume banned from inside spaces. It is dangerous to my health as it causes allergies and breathing problems for me.

[edit on 30/1/2009 by toochaos4u]

Try and back that up with twenty years of research and statistics... It's not about principle, it's about reality. We live in a real world. Have you forgotten?

[edit on 30-1-2009 by cognoscente]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nineteen
Just another irritation in a long list of bureaucratic self righteous prats trying to outdo one another's egos in an effort to feel more special than the next person.

Except that is entirely incorrect. People lobbied for this, not a bunch of aging legislators on a self righteous moral crusade, as you seem to have indicated in this post.

Originally posted by wolf241e
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Let me be clear...I'm a smoker and have been forever, but if bans against personal freedoms come into play, you don't punish the citizen, you go after the source that would eliminate the need for such bans.

That would be ineffectual. Black markets and crime rings would emerge. The individual should be punished on a personal basis. Punishing the source or the group only confers a sense of solidarity among them. It also makes their rights appear more significant than they actually are. You can only correct negative behavior through punishment, otherwise it naturally persists and will be further extended to other forms of criminality. Anyway, the point of this Bill isn't to punish smokers (I don't even believe smokers should be punished-it's not like what they're doing is morally wrong) so much as it a way to protect the rights of individuals who are unwillingly subject to the unhealthy environment created by smokers.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by cognoscente]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
just stop smoking. there is no beneficial effects from it and on the body and a decrease in smoking would result in a greater state of well-being for the average person.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It's not about controlling behavior, it's about protecting the RIGHTS of people to breathe clean air.

I'm glad I don't smoke anymore and would not be affected by such a ban, but it's not in houses, right? Just in apartments and condos, where neighbors can be irritated by the smell and second hand smoke through vents.

People don't OWN apartments, they rent them.

Apartments and Condos can dictate whether or not you have a pet. They can dictate the size of the pet, the number of people who live there and many other restrictions. I really don't see a "Hitler" problem with this ban.

If your smoking affects other people's air space, then I think we have to defer to the people who want to breathe clean air. If you want to smoke in your home, buy a house.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

How about RFID tags in your packs that can be tracked and if you live in the city they come bust down your door and tazer your ass and give you a ticket. We do need the revenue.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Just to list off a few everyday items that have been proven that cause cancer yet just about all of us use on a daily basis. I have yet to see an autopsy report showing or a diagnosis for a cause of cancer to be pointed toward any commonly used source known for containing toxic chemicals which have been known and proven to cause certain cancers and yet the FDA still approves the use of said items! Do you not think that any one of these items or combination exposed over your entire life may be the ultimate culprit to certain cancers? Smokers know the risk when they smoke. Let em be! As long as they are respectful of those who don't, let em light up!

Now I am just going to tell everyone perfume contains known carcinogens that cause various cancer and since I do not want lung cancer, could you please go wash it off immediately, oh and since I do not want to have to pay for your cancer treatments through raised health care costs why don't you just go ahead and die for me please. Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?

Warning: many dryer sheets contain cancer causing chemicals

When people use dryer sheets, they are coating their cloths with a thin film of artificial chemical perfumes. Just like other perfumes, a person’s sensitivity to these perfumes decreases over time to the point where they don’t even notice how potent these artificial fragrance chemicals are.

None of this would be interesting if it weren’t for the fact that these fragrance chemical are extremely toxic chemicals. They are known carcinogens. They cause liver damage and cancer in mammals. In fact, the only way they are approved for use in consumer products is that there is an underlying, but false assumption by the FDA and other regulator agencies that cosmetic products such as shampoo, deodorants, creams, laundry detergents, and soaps don’t pose a health risk because their chemicals are not absorbed through the skin. In other words, there is a much lower threshold of danger assumed with cosmetic products versus foods and beverages. It is assumed that chemicals put on the skin don’t necessarily penetrate the skin. This assumption is incorrect, however.

Common Air Fresheners Contain Chemicals That May Affect Human Reproductive Development

An analysis of more than a dozen common household air fresheners found that most contain chemicals that may affect hormones and reproductive development, particularly in babies, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) said today. The federal government does not currently test air fresheners for safety or require manufacturers to meet any specific safety standards. The study offers both consumers and officials new information on the risks certain air fresheners pose.

Consumer warning: Thousands of brand-name grocery products are contaminated with toxic chemicals and dangerous ingredients... Would you like to know which ones?

Good book and interesting read.

Pharmaceuticals in the Water: Why Medication Contamination is a Danger to Our Health and the Environment

The Associated Press has done a study, and they're reporting today that all kinds of chemicals are found in your tap water, and this time we're not talking about lead, mercury, pesticides, synthetic hormones, or anything like that.

Nurses Exposed to Toxic Cleaning Chemicals in Hospitals; Cancer Risk Elevated

In the first ever national survey examining the health effects of nurses' exposure to chemicals, the groups surveyed 1,500 nurses from 50 states about their exposure to 11 common health care chemicals, including anesthetic gases, hand disinfectants, cleaning substances, latex, pharmaceutical products including chemotherapy and antiretroviral drugs, mercury, personal care products such as shampoo and soap, and sterilization chemicals.

In addition to these known or potential toxins, nurses are also habitually exposed to radiation. In spite of a recommendation from the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention in 2002, no comprehensive study of toxic workplace exposure in nurses has ever been conducted, let alone investigations into the health effects of cumulative exposure to this wide variety of toxins.

Toxic Chemicals Are Destroying Our Health

Sunscreen Causes Cancer!

Given the fact that just about everything you put on your skin gets absorbed into your bloodstream, it is interesting that there is a complete lack of regulation of cancer-causing ingredients in skin care products. There are over 150 toxic cancer-causing ingredients currently used in cosmetic products alone. According to federal law, products containing cancer-causing substances should carry a written warning. But the FDA does not enforce this law with cosmetics or personal care products. Consumers are left to purchase these products at their own risk, and as a result they are being harmed by them.

Do You Know What Toxic Chemicals Lurk in Your Clothing?

The concerns regarding health stem from the fact that though cotton uses only 2.4% of the world's
agricultural acreage, its cultivation involves 25% of the world's pesticide use, more than any other crop. Most of these are insecticides, but fungicide is another fraction of the total. Also, consider that it takes about one-third of a pound of pesticides and fertilizers to grow enough conventional cotton for just one T-shirt.

In many cases, these poisonous chemicals are applied by spraying from the air, which means they can be
carried and spread by the wind and breathed by people living nearby. It probably is no coincidence that Texans near Lubbock have a high cancer rate, while Lubbock happens to be the world's largest area of cotton cultivation.

Bras Shown to Cause Cancer

Is it possible that wearing a bra can actually cause cancer? Studies show that this is a very real possibility. The reason is that regularly wearing a bra prevents lymph drainage and circulation, which can greatly increase the possibility of developing breast cancer.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamsnatcher
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

How about RFID tags in your packs that can be tracked and if you live in the city they come bust down youreur door and tazer your ass and give you a ticket. We do need the revenue.

You know, this could be possible. I know a person who runs a small store in Louisiana, close to the Mississippi boarder. Cigarettes are much cheaper in Miss, and he thought about buying cigs for his strore, there. The only problem is the stamp on the bottom of a pack of cigs. Have you ever looked? They have a stamp on them. He figured not to do it, for fear of getting nabbed by by the bureau of Alcohol, tobbacco, and fire arms.

What a weird conglomerage that is. They must figure people who smoke, drink, and have guns!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Ah, but if you don't smoke, then you don't have anything to worry about, right?

2nd line

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, they did the same thing in Naples/Fort Myers Florida a few years back. I also think about a decade ago, on the "No CUre for Cancer" performance by Dennis Leary, he did a whole rountine about this, as it seemed so far-fetched back then. The own/not own debate is, in my opinion (yes a smoker) rediculous.

The law is apartment or condo. Decent apartments require a security depositit, and typically a redorating fee for the repaint and recarpet of the unit when you leave, in essence you pay for the right to dirty these thing since you are replacing them.

Condo's are typically owned, with a monthly community fee for the same purposes as above, repair, replenish, and maintain.

Tobacco Lovbbyists lobby, it is a large part of political contibutions for both parties. I pay about $3 a pack/$30 a week in taxes on my cigarettes, this money, I believe goes to fund Medicare/Medicaid.

Smoking is legal, I will smoke in my own car/home/ and sidewalk. I pay for all three.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If this is true first they'd have to have a warrant to enter someone's home. Second I do believe there has to be a criminal complaint in order to do so, and this seems to be civil in statue.
If this law is real and goes into effect the first person that takes it to the supreme court will have this overturned.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harassment101
www.lungusa.org...

Secondhand smoke exposure causes disease and premature death in children and adults who do not smoke. Secondhand smoke contains hundreds of chemicals known to be toxic or carcinogenic, including formaldehyde, benzene, vinyl chloride, arsenic ammonia and hydrogen cyanide.4

Secondhand smoke causes almost 50,000 deaths in adult nonsmokers in the United States each year, including approximately 3,400 from lung cancer and 22,700-69,600 from heart disease.5

Nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke at work are at increased risk for adverse health effects. Levels of secondhand smoke in restaurants and bars were found to be 2 to 5 times higher than in residences with smokers and 2 to 6 times higher than in office workplaces.6

When you get into an auto accident, you might die right away, second hand smoke death is slow and not pleasant. Why should you have to be ill, or die from second hand smoke?

Live healthy, eat right, but die because someone else has a smoking addition. It's all a drug addition, smokers just have lot's of other addicts, but their issues kill the same way, just slower.
[edit on 29-1-2009 by Harassment101]

I'm not defending smoker's but thier freedom and civil liberties.

I'm sure this set of Smoke Stacks alone,produces more smoke and kills more people in a single day, than all smokers throughout history from begining to end.

Imagine how many of these around the country are pumping out thick, toxic,acrid plumes of smoke daily and people want to flap about a smoker in their house. Get real.

The hypocracy and double standard.

[edit on 30/1/2009 by Revealation]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Actually living in an apartment, that is not your home, you do not own it, and you have to follow the law. Period.

If you want your own home go buy a house.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I only read the first page of this thread.

I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I am so sick and tired of these little rules non-smokers keep inciting. Smokers have been nothing but accommodating to non-smokers. You took away our section of the restaurants, you took away the bus, you get the ENTIRE airplane...and we have to smoke in a little glass room in the airport like we're some kind of zoo exhibit.

Now these fascist rules are being pushed into our living spaces? I know that some apartment places only rent to non-smokers...whatever. But for a whole city to make a law over ALL apartment complexes and condos?

Most of the time people OWN their condos!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

All of those objects either need to be treated properly or removed. On top of that, almost none of those "affect" others - only the person using it.

Are you trying to prove that it is okay to harm other peoples stuff while smoking because there are more than one cancer causing item in the world?

If people actually knew that many "useless" items that you posted could cause serious health problems, then I am sure many would stop using them all together.

Even if the list in infinite and there would be no stopping it, as I have said many times before, smoking smells horrible and causes residue. At least air fresheners smell good

Two wrongs do not make a right.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I wonder whats next? How about we Bann people from being out in the sunlight. As its well known that the sun can cause Cancer..

Lets build a big dome, and shut out the DEADLY rays of the sun..

As its not my choice to get hit by sunrays on a daily basis!

I could go on and on.
Yet this has nothing to do with peoples health.. Non smokers really don't give a damn about health.. Lets be real here.. non smokers are personally inconvenienced.

If this was about health.. Then much would be different..

So I say ban the suns light from Earth.. And its dangerous to the children!
And will cause cancer!!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Don't forget about the air itself. It's chock full of carcinogens and pollutants. We would have to ban everyone from breathing!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
I wonder whats next? How about we Bann people from being out in the sunlight. As its well known that the sun can cause Cancer..

Lets build a big dome, and shut out the DEADLY rays of the sun..

As its not my choice to get hit by sunrays on a daily basis!

I could go on and on.
Yet this has nothing to do with peoples health.. Non smokers really don't give a damn about health.. Lets be real here.. non smokers are personally inconvenienced.

If this was about health.. Then much would be different..

So I say ban the suns light from Earth.. And its dangerous to the children!
And will cause cancer!!

And how does one soaking up the sun AFFECT YOU HEALTH WISE?

I do not have a problem with people who smoke, as long its not by me or in/clinging to my property.

The problem here is that YOU think we have some personal agenda to send all smokers to oblivion
. While for some that may be the case, most of us posing against it just do not want to have to deal with it at all. Thanks to many laws today, we do not have to deal with it.

While I still always think there should be exceptions to the rule, such as concerts and bars.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I watched my Grandfather die from lung cancer, my father is clearly headed in the same direction from decades of smoking.

Despite this, I`m a smoker myself. And I`ll probably keep smoking.

Personal responsibility and all that.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

And how does one soaking up the sun AFFECT YOU HEALTH WISE?

You are kidding right? I mean really if you do not understand the danger of too much UV rays, how can you make a valid argument about smoking and health concerns? UV damage to the skin is well proven and documented unlike the Red Herring of second hand smoke.

The problem here is that YOU think we have some personal agenda to send all smokers to oblivion
. While for some that may be the case, most of us posing against it just do not want to have to deal with it at all. Thanks to many laws today, we do not have to deal with it.

While I still always think there should be exceptions to the rule, such as concerts and bars.

No you just think its fair that the Government has the right to ban it from peoples place of residence. Smoking in an apartment next to you is in mo way going to effect your health. Its about the parts per million and you are getting much worse outside air than the deluded cigarette smoke causes. If what you are saying is true then smokers would last more than a few years from all the smoke we inhale. A lot of non-smokers are getting duped into standing on a soap box that is made of a house of cards. This has everything about control and has nothing to do with the real world results of second hand smoke.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
Banned smoking in your own home.Jeeze whats next...

The sex police.

I can see it now sex will be restricted to the hours of 12 midnite to 2 am on everyother Tuesday night. Anyone caught comming in to work with a satisfied look on their face will be fined $1000.
The government has stepped way beyond physco

This is a serious subject, no doubt... But I have to stopin the middle of it all, and ask if you know my ex-wife?????

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join