It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama freezing pay of top staff; signs ethics rules

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Obama freezing pay of top staff; signs ethics rules

content.usatoday.com

President Obama just announced that the pay of top White House employees is being frozen. ...

The president also announced he's about to sign new ethics rules designed to restrict lobbying by current staff after they leave the administration. ...

Obama also announced he is directing federal agencies to be more open, in part by returning to pre-Bush administration policies regarding the Freedom of Information Act.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I was just watching this on CNN but haven't been able to find a more detailed article on the MSM about this.

He was talking to his staff and cabinet members and was pointing out some of the things he wants to do, set the direction and some 'guidelines'.

I was personally glad to hear that he apparently wishes to revamp the Freedom of Information Act rules and make agencies more open and 'transparent', including his own Office.

So far so good, but let's not forget these ideas mean absolutely nothing until they are applied in the "real world" and followed by every agency.

content.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

additional links:
news.yahoo.com

[edit on 21-1-2009 by converge]

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Yep I just read a Yahoo article about everyone in Washinghton making over $100,000 gets a pay freeze.
Excellent start IMO.
Cleaning Wall Street as Well as The rest of this mess he's inherited Starts by Cleaning your own House.
Excellent news.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by VType]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Obama Pay Freeze Yahoo Source

Here's the yahoo source; I'm liking what I have seen thus far, good moves and it's definitely a start and a step in the right direction. I like that ethics briefing that he's made a requirement as well, good show indeed!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
For show only....... $170Million that was blown yesterday..........02c

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Pinktip]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This AP article as a little more information:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama announced on his first day in office Wednesday that he is freezing the pay of the about a hundred White House employees who make over $100,000 a year. ...

In a statement, Obama said "families are tightening their belts, and so should Washington."

Aides making above $100,00 include the high-profile jobs of White House chief of staff, national security adviser and press secretary. Other aides who work in relative anonymity also fit into that cap, if Obama follows a structure similar to the one George W. Bush set up. ...

He also announced a change in policy that will require each federal agency and department to give full attention to Freedom of Information requests and said he expects members of his administration to be responsive to such pleas.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I just watched this on CNN. He's off to a good start already. Lobbying is OPEN bribery, I'm glad there's more strict guidelines for them to follow.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
double post! ooops!

[edit on 21-1-2009 by ecain]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Riviera

Thanks for the link
That one has more detailed information.

Now I'm waiting for the Executive Orders text to be published so we can see for ourselves what exactly is being proposed in terms of the FOIA requests.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I am sure that many loopholes will be included in these measures so that everyone can have an opt out. Even if a staff can't lobby for a period after leaving the white house, there is nothing to stop them from getting their family members to do it for them. There is always a Gray area in Washington.

What do you mean Sandy Berger is handling my FOIA?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Wow! To me that is a step in the right direction - my optimism is increasing - maybe he is the man he says! But he's still no Ron Paul.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecain
I just watched that on CNN. Lobbying is open bribery, I'm glad there will be a more strict guideline to follow. He's off to a good start so far.

WOW

Being that Obama took more money from Fannie and Freddie than any Senator save Democratic chairman of the committee.

Hummm?

I don't get it.

LOL

www.cjr.org...

[edit on 013131p://bWednesday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by ecain
I just watched that on CNN. Lobbying is open bribery, I'm glad there will be a more strict guideline to follow. He's off to a good start so far.

WOW

Being that Obama took more money from Fannie and Freddie than any Senator save Democratic chairman of the committee.

Hummm?

I don't get it.

LOL

And has what to do with the topic? Hmm? Nothing. Let's keep to it please.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by converge

I saw that it as it happened on T.V. too S and F for you!

Yes we are off to an excellent start.

Though others may not admit it - this is already a HUGE LEAP in the right direction and a complete about face than the Bush admin.

Cheney is still fighting the courts, he does not want to release any of his stuff! Yeah, I won't miss that - but it had started immediately with that bunch of bozo's- when they did their energy meetings with Ken Lay and the rest - they would never release anything that was said or done during it.

What a refreshing change. I have now restarted and going forward on a project I began a few years ago. I now feel the optimisum for going ahead and looking to the future and brighter days.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

HI Intrepid, I was wonder why in light of the past he is making these changes now,

That is my question.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

HI Intrepid, I was wonder why in light of the past he is making these changes now,

That is my question.

That is for another topic.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinktip

For show only.......

Tell that to the people who's pay is frozen.

Good start Obama!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

That is my question.

Because he can? He's the President now, he has authority to actually do some significant changes.

But like I said, these things mean nothing until they are actually applied in the "real world", so I'm in a wait and see position but I'm willing to give him a chance.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by Pinktip

For show only.......

Tell that to the people who's pay is frozen.

Good start Obama!

Those were my first thoughts, how happy will congress be?

Not that I don't think this is a good thing.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinktip

yesterday's $170 million spending on balls was all donated money. nothing governmental in getting Jay Z to play the ball.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join