It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans miffed at Howard bumping Obamas out of home

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well... in the interest of disclosure on my behalf, I don't hate Obama. I don't know him, therefore, I can't hate him. I am, however, very skeptical of him. Anyone in their right mind should be skeptical of any politician. Especially when it comes to the post of Commander in Chief.

And the allegiance question was genuine.

I pray for the sake of our country that he keeps his promises and that he's the fulfillment of all his supporters hopes.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by titian
I'm sure his trip was planned long before Obama asked or an exception to the usual practice of staying at Blair House sooner.

You might be sure, but you might be wrong.

And as I have already shown in this thread, previous presidents (Reagan, Carter and Clinton, at least) were all given access to the house in early December and early January. Clinton did not sleep there, but held many meetings there.

reply to post by soldiermom

I will try to answer your allegiance question. First, I remind you that support of a politician or any person does not equate to "blind" allegiance. I get all sorts of insults about Obama being my "messiah" and "savior" and other unimaginative and plain stupid comments, but the truth is, I have NO allegiance to Obama. NONE. I support him, because of what I think he can do for my country. He is the next leader of my country, which I do have a very strong allegiance to. But if he screws up, by my expectations and judgment, I will no longer support him. I think that's pretty easy to understand, but I know a lot of people who have trouble understanding it.

And the Obama supporters I know feel EXACTLY the same way. We ARE somewhat skeptical. We HAVE to be. But we also like most of the policies he's put forth and agree with him on many important issues. But allegiance is far too strong a word, and messiah and savior are just stupid insults hurled by people who clearly want to offend people who support Obama. They are a form of "slur" by those who are pissed that Obama won. It's EXACTLY like saying that you must be a "racist" because you hate Obama... (I'm not saying that to you, just an example) It's a slur against you for your opinions. Pretty stupid, huh?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Oh my god, has the world gone completely mad? Wait, stupid question...

Your economy is failing, you are living in a police state and you are losing your houses and jobs one by one and THIS is somehow important? Dear god American's (not all of you, just the ones complaining) , go out and get a reality check.

1. Who cares.
2. Who cares.
3. If all else fails, refer to points 1 and 2.

U.S. population to Krysties:

We don't care one iota about this.

In fact, I'll bet most of us have never even heard of this so-called "issue".

Most likely invented by the MSM and perpetuated by bloggers with too much time on their hands.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

It's comforting to know that at least one of his supporters has a measure of skepticism. It's a healthy thing. But in the overall picture (mine only), most of his supporters seem to think he can do no wrong. That's not a healthy thing. To be honest, I'm getting this view from my sister-in-law who thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and any criticism of him is a sin.

Who knows, maybe he'll turn out to be exactly that. I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket though. I have a strong allegiance to this country too and don't wish to see him fail because we'll all go down with him.

Thanks for the honest reply sans sugar coating or smarminess.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by soldiermom
It's comforting to know that at least one of his supporters has a measure of skepticism.

It's a lot more than me. Here's what I think is happening and why it appears that Obama supporters "think he can do no wrong".

The Messiah Syndrome:

Many of us feel that Obama and his supporters are under such a constant barrage of really mean insults, criticisms and plain hatred, that - even when we don't agree with everything Obama does or says - we spend our time defending ourselves and our views of his policies and his decisions.

It's rare that I take the time to criticize what he does or says (although I have done it several times) because so many people here are already doing that. I spend my energies "defending" the insane, irrational and constant assaults. I do it because I enjoy it. But I'm not at all hesitant to disagree with him. And I have had communications (U2U) with other supporters here who do the same thing. Why should we spend our energies criticizing him when it's being done so expertly all around us?
And, so, because most of my posts about him are in his defense or positive about him, people jump to the conclusion that I "worship" him or something. That's their mistake.

I bet if your sister-in-law was perfectly honest with you and didn't feel on the defensive, she'd probably admit that she has concerns, too. We should be skeptical of our government, regardless who's in there. But honestly, after the past 20-30 years of government we've been through... to some of us, Obama looks pretty damn great. That doesn't mean he's perfect or can do no wrong.

Centurion, a star for you. This has bloggers written all over it.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by soldiermom
It's comforting to know that at least one of his supporters has a measure of skepticism.

It's a lot more than me. Here's what I think is happening and why it appears that Obama supporters "think he can do no wrong".

The Messiah Syndrome:

Many of us feel that Obama and his supporters are under such a constant barrage of really mean insults, criticisms and plain hatred, that - even when we don't agree with everything Obama does or says - we spend our time defending ourselves and our views of his policies and his decisions.

It's rare that I take the time to criticize what he does or says (although I have done it several times) because so many people here are already doing that. I spend my energies "defending" the insane, irrational and constant assaults. I do it because I enjoy it. But I'm not at all hesitant to disagree with him. And I have had communications (U2U) with other supporters here who do the same thing. Why should we spend our energies criticizing him when it's being done so expertly all around us?
And, so, because most of my posts about him are in his defense or positive about him, people jump to the conclusion that I "worship" him or something. That's their mistake.

I bet if your sister-in-law was perfectly honest with you and didn't feel on the defensive, she'd probably admit that she has concerns, too. We should be skeptical of our government, regardless who's in there. But honestly, after the past 20-30 years of government we've been through... to some of us, Obama looks pretty damn great. That doesn't mean he's perfect or can do no wrong.

Centurion, a star for you. This has bloggers written all over it.

There's never been any need for her to be on the defensive as she's the one that brings him up first. I've never gone out of my way to criticize him in front of her because that would open up a can of worms best left closed. She's never mentioned any concerns about him at all. That's what's scary. I know she's not the only one out there with this stance.

So. in the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

We've gone a little off topic.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I will try to answer your allegiance question. First, I remind you that support of a politician or any person does not equate to "blind" allegiance. I get all sorts of insults about Obama being my "messiah" and "savior" and other unimaginative and plain stupid comments, but the truth is, I have NO allegiance to Obama. NONE. I support him, because of what I think he can do for my country. He is the next leader of my country, which I do have a very strong allegiance to. But if he screws up, by my expectations and judgment, I will no longer support him. I think that's pretty easy to understand, but I know a lot of people who have trouble understanding it.

Well, BH, it seems like your support for Obama transcends the issues:

Originally posted by bignick
The loyal ones need to try and catch Obama naked and see if he has the red pointy tail or the the perky wings which were also mentioned in ' the book of god ' .

Do you need volunteers? Because if it serves my country...

To each his/her own. Just sayin.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Yeah, I knew the source of the claim, Chop. Remember, this same Gallup poll showed GW Bush as the most respected man in America with percentiles equal and above those of Obama for 7 straight years. Has there ever been a more polarizing, seemingly widely unpopular person to be 'most admired?'

Personally, the man I most admire in this country is my father. IMHO, that's the way it should be for anyone. Polls like this merely demonstrate how far we've slipped into idolatry and hero worshiping and how far we've strayed from the good old days when a young man or young woman viewed their parents and grandparents as their champions. I only questioned the "most admired" claim because I, myself, do not admire the man in the least. I aknowledge his presence and he should be thankfull he's even getting that much out of me.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Obama is the most admired man in America.
He's going to be the most powerful man in the world, leading the strongest nation on Earth.

You'd think someone like that wouldnt be '' bumped '' from staying in a hotel that is used by president elects before they are innagurated.

Yes he's a pretty important guy alright, but his position as a celebrity, and I use that word pointedly, should not afford him perks like kicking a guy out of the place he's renting. I find it plain odd that the people tasked with the job of securing Blair house for the president elect failed to do so, and someone else jumped in their first. It's their mistake and they should take the rap for it, not John Howard.

Still Obama has said nothing to my knowledge, he isn't complaining. What disturbs me is the pedestal that the American people and media put their presidents up on. Not only does this sort of idolatry blind them from the flaws and mistakes of their presidents, but it's a height to fall from. We like to build them up and we like to see them fall.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
would someone tell me again how these elected officials are supposed to be in touch with the people of this country, the people that elected them, the people who are losing homes, cant find work, going hungry, cant afford required medications and healthcare, cant get their kids a decent education, etc, etc, while it is considered a disgrace that the POTUS is relegated to having to stay in a $5k per night luxury hotel while waited on hand and foot? excuse me, i have to go throw up...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join