It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

re: mars pic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Its not just the heat shield. Just to the right of that is the impact point of the retro rocket assembly that slowed the motherpad and rover down just prior to its release to bounce its way to the surface.

Full size HERE

Full size HERE

Full size HERE

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
I am a logical free thinking human being that's who.

I doubt you can vouch that there has never been any form of life on Mars or ever will be. In fact human beings will need to eventually terraform Mars and live there if we are to survive the evolution of our sun so your logic is extremely flawed. I never knew that thinking what the church tells you too is considered free thinking or logical... hmmmm.... if you say so

IRM

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
No comments? Everyone scramble away? Did something scare everyone off the face of the thread? Cmon nothing to be scared about....its just rocks!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Obviously there is something there to make NASA want to continue to send very expensive robotic missions to Mars other than plain ol rocks.

If they want to look at rocks, there are plenty here on Earth to play with and study till they are red in the face.

Think about it.

I thought about it. I do not want to be a proctologist, pediotrist, or geologist. Nothing about any of those jobs sounds like something that i would like to do. I should not understand why a bunch of scientists would be so interested but I get it. The want to know what kinds of rocks, the chemical compounds, the geologic history and so on. Boring, I know. So is most stufy of anything but there will always bee people who want to do it. If you have doubts about my answer, ask them then. I am sure they will love to tell you why they keep sending stuff to mars nd it will have nothing to do with concave rock shadows and nubian statues.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

I am a logical free thinking human being that's who.

I doubt you can vouch that there has never been any form of life on Mars or ever will be. In fact human beings will need to eventually terraform Mars and live there if we are to survive the evolution of our sun so your logic is extremely flawed. I never knew that thinking what the church tells you too is considered free thinking or logical... hmmmm.... if you say so

IRM

Hey, I am not at all trying to take away from what you say but...can anyone show a study that has been done on the long term effects of the different gravity on human physiology? I find it hard to believe we will be adapted to live in that environment for millions of years. Millions of years that include frequent visits.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Intothepitwego

Well there is nothing wrong with them wanting to look at the same rocks over a 20 year period to determine their composition..if thats all they want to do..but quite frankly, they can do that at their own expense and not out of my tax dollars when they already have the answers and have had those answers for 20 years.

Really how much does it take to see a rock is a rock is a rock? There are small meteor rocks that can be found here on Earth, that have been shown to be from Mars a dozen times over, that can give the scientists and geologists plenty of idea whats up there.

IMO, they are there because of something else. With the new MSL rover they plan to send to Mars, it will have a camera called MAHLI, a very neat and very very high resolution close up camera to look at these rocks more closely...again....and to look at the fossils found in some of them by the MER microcameras.

I think its quite exciting that they want to look at the fossils now instead of just more rocks. I would hate to think that students spending years earing their degrees to become planitary geologists and scientists would waste away all that time and effort over plain old rocks!!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Intothepitwego

Go here:

The Mars Society

Also you may want to watch the DVD, "The Martian Underground".

IRM

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Again, I made no reference to my faith at all. My God has nothing at all to do with this thread and I did not bring him into it. Why don't you do the same curteousy? I am merely pointing out that Mars is a giant rock in space. There is not now nor has there ever been any evidence to the contrary. I think the idea of life outside of our tiny little world is awesome. I just don't see the fascination with Mars. And oh my goodness sooooooo many people on here posting pictures of rocks on Mars. How much free time does everyone have that they can spend so much time looking so attentively at these pictures?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Terraform ?! Are you kidding me? Someone has been watching way too much Star Trek. Why do you attack my faith so? I did not bring it up at all in no way shape form or fashion. Can you not have a civil debate with someone? Can you not debate at all without attacking their faith? Seriously why get upset over comments made about rocks on Mars?
I am a fan of astronomy, I always have been. I do not understand the fascination though with Mars. We barely have the technology to get a probe there. We are still years away from being able to get a human there, let alone the technology to as you call it "Terraform" the planet. Honestly if we have the technology ever in the future to do that then why not terraform our own planet or just fix it? Sounds like flights of fancy.
Don't believe the FICTIONAL stories from Rodenberry, and Tolkein, and Hubbard. They are just fictional stories.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I have no problem with the idea of looking for fossiles either. I was just reminding people that there are reasons that we have sent this junk up there other than to look for glass domes and egyptian statuary.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

as much as i love a link to a page full of about 1000 more links to other stuff, sandwiched between ads, could you maybe point me somewhere that is a little more along the lines of addressing what I asked and not just what everyone has ever asked.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

It's Mars, ya know what that means? Rocks !!
Ya know what it was 100,000,000 years ago ? Rocks !! Ya know what it will be 100,000,000 years from now ? Rocks !!
That's it ! You people are seriously grasping at straws to consider you will ever find anything besides rocks on Mars.
Oh really? What do you say about this:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by vasaga

What exactly does any of this prove except for someone's vivid immagination? I guess people will see what they want to see. Me, I see rocks.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by vasaga

Also, for a great deal of people on this site, why do you seek truth and enlightenment on youtube? You can't really hold much value to a video on youtube. Believe me, if there was any credible evidence of anything besides rocks on Mars it would have made major headlines by now.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by vasaga
Oh really? What do you say about this:

The geological structures cannot be rulet out a bit. It's only pareidolia (similarities with some kind of wood on earth?..may i add anether example: maybe Mars is alive, so that it is its reptilian alike skin! ). About Hubble Images...do you know something about false color, or autoequalizing? It's easy to assume that colours of what you see on a reproduced image is exactly the real colours.

[edit on 4/1/09 by depthoffield]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Oh really..? You keep believing the government is always telling the truth and telling you everything if you want to, but I'm not falling for that. If you research 9/11 you'll already know they are lying. Who knows what else they're lying about and for how long they have been doing it. Yeah NASA is part of the government, so if they don't allow anything to leak out, there's no media to say anything. And even if there's media to say it, they will be seen as "an unreliable source". Start thinking for yourself man. There are too many sheep on this planet, and if we don't change it soon.......

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by depthoffield

Yes i do know about that, and yeah well.. People tend to lean more to the side that feels more comfortable to them instead of actually trying to be objective about what they see.. Think about that.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I submit that its better to have an imagination, for if it was not for imagination, we would still be in the stone age, to be able to see things than it is to have a narrow vision and not see anything at all....cept rocks.

Well unfortunately...life consists of more than just rocks...even NASA knows that!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by depthoffield

Just becasue these color images are not .000000000000000000000000001 percent accurate, does not mean that we are not seeing a close to true color. Who TF cares about accuracy?? If blue is blue, red is red and green is green, combine them and you get white...which means those 3 basic color sets combined in various ways and amplitudes, you get a color image.

Also, Hubble does not have limited color filters like the MER rovers do. In fact Hubble covers the entire visible and IR and UV spectrum completely.

An "elementary school" Hubble specifications and what it can do can be found HERE...a NASA website.

Here is another site with the Hubble wavelength specification found HERE..note the wavelength specification from 110nm out to 1100 nm, which if we look at the visible spectrum, which covers about 380nm to 750nm, Hubble covers the entire human eye spectrum with no problem.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 4-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by vasaga
Yes i do know about that, and yeah well.. People tend to lean more to the side that feels more comfortable to them instead of actually trying to be objective about what they see.. Think about that.

So you mean you are objective when compare that surface of Mars with whatever you want..ex forests on Earth, or like i said, a reptilian skin?

Objectivity is a hard to achieve goal. Conspiracy is a very easy one. Think on the Face on Mars legend.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join