It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 681
<< 678  679  680    682  683  684 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

edit on 27-2-2011 by ReginaAdonnaAaron because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Everybody keep on topic, which is Whats going on at yellowstone?.

Off-topic posts will be deleted.

Posts with mixed on-topic and off-topic content may be deleted if the on-topic content doesn't bring anything new to the thread.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is not a chit-chat thread or even a chit-chat forum.

Keep on topic.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I don't know enough to decide anything for myself, but I think Trip has been considerate after being warned, unlike a few.
OFf topic slightly, here is an article regarding how the US govt, no longer will allow it's data on NEOs to be shared with scientists.

I am posting this to show that yes, the govt. will keep info from the public. Which of course we already knew.www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing this - it's very telling of what our Government as well as other world Governments are doing and capable of in regards to our natural surroundings and events that take place.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
I don't know enough to decide anything for myself, but I think Trip has been considerate after being warned, unlike a few.
OFf topic slightly, here is an article regarding how the US govt, no longer will allow it's data on NEOs to be shared with scientists.

I am posting this to show that yes, the govt. will keep info from the public. Which of course we already knew.www.msnbc.msn.com...

SunnyD, thank you, I appreciate the positive reference. I can state with total security, that nothing I've said has been said with any degree of dishonesty, and I've fabricated nothing. Despite repeated ad hom slurs, I have endeavored to respect this forum's TOS and membership.

I do have quite a lot of uncertainty as to what specifically is going on at Yellowstone, but that lockdown is half the problem. People have focused on the "harmonics" in an attempt to refute the claims, and yet have done so with a disregard for equivalent comparisons of the seismic equipment (and sensitivity ranges) involved, comparing "apples to oranges".

Curiously, I am not the slightest bit concerned with being "refuted". Why? Because I KNOW (not SWAG guessing) what has transpired at Yellowstone, in an intensive, unsheduled two-week (and more) field effort, in the midst of Winter storms, and the level of alarm that ensued surrounding Yellowstone by the UofUtah/USGS personnel as a result of cumulative events (not just "a harmonic tremor" alone).

Even :IF: the tremors were shown to not have any sort of organized reverberating harmonic resonance, I wouldn't be bothered. WE know that the signature is not any sort of storm microseism. We know it's not any sort of clastic tremor. We know it's not wind. We know it's not bison. We know it's not telemetry. We know it's not mechanical noise.

And, ultimately, I PERSONALLY know that the team has gone up there abruptly and, as a result of events at that time, that there was immediately, upon that date, a lock-down of information going out regarding Yellowstone, so strict that it even affected personal, private commentary!

SunnyDee, this isn't just about "Science". When I started my original post "elsewhere" it was deliberately put into a "Political" section of a forum, but was subsequently and prejudicially moved to a "general interest" area (ironically, because of likely political considerations) .

As I've shown in my previous posts in this thread, this is as heavily regarding POLITICS and the politicization of science, as it is about Science itself.

Incidentally, you may all want to keep an eye on today's seismograms --- they're showing the same sort of signatures -- and I'm getting reports of the seismograms being unaccessible for a time, and then returning back online (apparently unaltered, so I am making no claim as to subterfuge).

edit on 27-2-2011 by Trip3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trip3
Incidentally, you may all want to keep an eye on today's seismograms --- they're showing the same sort of signatures -- and I'm getting reports of the seismograms being unaccessible for a time, and then returning back online (apparently unaltered, so I am making no claim as to subterfuge).

Trip, knowing that they have to adhere to certain "politics" that researchers are bound to adhering to in the release of information, do you think it's possible or even probable that past recordings were removed completely, and/or altered for this reason?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Trip, knowing that they have to adhere to certain "politics" that researchers are bound to adhering to in the release of information, do you think it's possible or even probable that past recordings were removed completely, and/or altered for this reason?

I have no reason to believe in, to allege, nor even vaguely imply any such aggressive cover-up where data has been altered or fabricated. It's possible that data has been withheld from the public domain (even quite likely), but not altered.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

It does not surprise me that the gov would attempt to keep things like "space rocks" a secret,.
In my opinion, Maybe it is quite simply a part of the space weapons program,.I have been hearing that
we will be encountering more asteroids and in larger sizes, so things like asteroids exploding in space before
it gets to earth might alarm the common folk of the world,. one less thing to explain maybe. As for Yellowstone,.
my guess for withholding information may be as simple as, why let certain info be released if it isnt a grave threat.
Look at how in 08 the news about Yellowstone had many people concerned,. and it turned out to be nothing,.
Imagine the revenue losses due to an unnecessary release of information that wasnt proven to be a real threat.

Yes I believe we should be given the right info and I personally dont like being kept in the dark,.
but history shows how many panic under simple and calm conditions,.only to cause more unneeded stress.
I would like to think that if Yellowstone was indeed to become unstable,. the PTB would give a heads up.
LD

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I have no reason to believe in, to allege, nor even vaguely imply any such aggressive cover-up where data has been altered or fabricated. It's possible that data has been withheld from the public domain (even quite likely), but not altered.

Gotcha, thanks. I guess I was just wondering - because within the last few weeks we've seen tons of events appear and disappear and I guess it raised the little red flag inside my head. Then I got to wondering what the possibility would be if saying, there have been harmonic tremors out there, and they're been withheld from public viewing somehow. Just a random thought, thanks for the response.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Alright, I have intentionally ignored this thread for a few days because I didn't want to be a part of this debate after giving my initiall opinion. I really wish everyone else had stopped at that point too. We have had some good, informational posts that took a deeper look at some aspects of this conversation (thanks puterman) but other than that, this has derailed this thread to the point that I am afraid it is at risk of being shut down. Come on, we are all better than that. I am really disapointed.

Trip3, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and going to presume you came here with good intentions to give us information that you believe to be the truth wether it is accurate or not. Okay, so it is here, we have all talked it do death. How about we give it a rest unless some new information comes to light? You have given us a lot to think about and I for one am watching things more closely now and in a bit of a different light.

I think Thought Provoker had some very good comments on the previous page. I too am not convinced that these are harmonic tremors..too much doesnt add up. HOWEVER, I also think that we can ALL agree that no one can say for sure what they ARE. Microseisms...okay. So tell me, what is causing those microseisms? I dont believe it to be the ocean. It is something else. Yes, it shows up at times at seismos everywhere. Rather than using that fact to yell "SEE! Not harmonic tremors!" Let's keep up the same attitude we have always had on this thread and use that info to determine what it is then. Granted, Yellowstone is so unique that it may be impossible to compare signatures coming from the park to other areas. This is another arguement for the HT theory, because no one really knows enough about the caldera to say anything for sure. I will take the word of the professionals studying the park though and agree that these are not HT...but I would like to know what they are (or more precisely what is causing them).

Thought Provoker....too slow to be harmonic tremors. Okay. THAT is a great start. Maybe this signature is picking up movement that is different from the traditional HT? Somewhere in between HT and microseisms? It reminds me of the deep tremors here in the PNW. This has gone undiscovered until just this past decade. Not because it wasn't there or didn't exist, but only because no one knew to look for it. They were too SLOW to be recorded on the typical equipment so they had to set up a SPECIAL array to do so. I would be curious to see what a similar array would come up with at Yellowstone?

Anyways....PLEASE, can we bring this conversation back around to the intelligent, respectful way it normally is?

At this point I really don't think it matters anymore if you agree or disagree with Trip3 or if it is HT's. Both sides have been clearly presented. Let's leave it at that. Anything further are just getting to be personal attacks and off-topic.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

< snip >
Trip3, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and going to presume you came here with good intentions to give us information that you believe to be the truth wether it is accurate or not. Okay, so it is here, we have all talked it do death. How about we give it a rest unless some new information comes to light? You have given us a lot to think about and I for one am watching things more closely now and in a bit of a different light.

I think Thought Provoker had some very good comments on the previous page. I too am not convinced that these are harmonic tremors..too much doesnt add up. HOWEVER, I also think that we can ALL agree that no one can say for sure what they ARE. Microseisms...okay. So tell me, what is causing those microseisms? I dont believe it to be the ocean. It is something else. Yes, it shows up at times at seismos everywhere. Rather than using that fact to yell "SEE! Not harmonic tremors!" Let's keep up the same attitude we have always had on this thread and use that info to determine what it is then. < snip>

How might I, in any way, benefit from my assertions or have any sort of ill-intent? I'm not claiming to be saving the world. I'm not claiming to be a final authority. I'm not claiming to be an expert. I have not even relied on my own professional experience in my own concern over Yellowstone's status. My posts aren't accompanied by any sort of advertisement to "buy gold!".

I don't even believe that even if everything Ive asserted is absolute truth, that Yellowstone is necessarily going to erupt. And if that eruption were to occur, there's a good likelihood that it would not be any sort of "super eruption". We've have some 300 eruptions from Yellowstone in the interim since the last super eruption 640k years ago, that were not large-scale, explosive "super" eruptions.

I've not indicated that people need to now evacuate, like that fruitloop some years ago, who was even implying some official association with USGS.

What I've advocated is that people "keep their ear to the ground" and be alert. There's no harm to anyone, nor anything. in that. Beyond doubt, Yellowstone is an active (not dormant) volcano and is, in fact, expected to erupt "at some time" in the future. I'm not quite sure what I need to "give a rest" to. Is this somehow an admonition to not poke my head up any further than anyone else?

As far as microseisms, here is one paper of many referencing these, even making references to"Yellowstone". However a perusal of that paper will not find anything similar to the seismic signatures under consideration:

(PDF) www.ipgp.fr...

The vertical component(s) of the seismograms offered in that paper, look quite alot like the below signature:

Seismogram: www.iris.washington.edu...

(I'm not saying the above "is" a microseism; I've not researched the referenced seismogram)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Trip3, I've heard from a source I trust that "something is up at Yellowstone" and that the Govt is censuring data...Something called a "double coupled signature " was allegedly detected and is somehow cause for alarm....Could you tell me what a "double coupled signature" is & why it's significant..Also I'd like to read your postings on that other forum..Could you say what forum it is???? Thanks..

top topics

<< 678  679  680    682  683  684 >>

join