It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone Hates America....Dont they??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I haven't been a member long,but have spent the last few weeks having a good look through all the different forums,and amongst the many things I've noticed is this....

It seems that,in debates involving the US,you cannot say/question anything without being branded anti-American.

I understand that there is a lot of flack out there at the moment,but most Americans don't seem to realize,or choose to ignore the fact that most of it is not directed at the civilian population.

It reminds me of the knee jerk reaction you get when talking about Israel and/or the Jewish people.The debate gets flooded with constant accusations of anti-semitism and ends up going no where.

Of course I'm not talking about threads that have descended into name calling,just those where members are obviously talking about the US government.It doesn't matter how many times they point that out,the accusations still fly think and fast.

The friend who recommended this site to me believes its just another derailment tactic.Do you agree,do you believe the Americans have a cause to complain,or is it just a case of not being able to stand the heat?

Edited to add:I do not hate the American people,i hate their government almost as much as my own.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by DantesLost]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

I love America.

I love the people in America.

And i love the idea of freedom that it stands for.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I think that a lot of people feel that they need to defend their home and instinctively react if they feel it's being criticized even if they share the same views. It's like how I can call my brother an idiot but would defend him to the end if anyone else did.

You should be able to voice your opinions openly but you should remember that when voicing an opinion it's more than likely that your going to cause someone to become defensive and be prepared for that.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
You can't blanket a whole group.
I like some of you that I have met and dislike others I have met.
I think most the world just hates your government.

Sorry OP I didn't realize you are from the U.K.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

i love the idea of freedom that it stands for.

B B B B B B B B b b b b b b b b b rainwashed!!!

And that is freedom from???

Cold war is over.. no need for the propaganda treatment

There is quite a bit of.. you could call it Anti American sentiment on this forum but what do you expect when every second person from the USofA comes out with statements like above.

The sooner Americans realize that they have been fed propaganda since WW2, the sooner everyone will be able to have a proper conversation without all this 'Freedom', 'Liberties', 'best country on the planet', 'war is good' crap.

Sometimes its funny but it can get pretty tedious. And if you are from the US and want to know why it causes the sentiment it causes... try picturing yourself trying to have a conversation with a group of people who have been conditioned to think that they are the only ones that matter in the whole universe. Then you will understand.

TBH though, the vast majority of Anti American sentiment is directed at the US government and its policies.. but people vote these politicians into power so the general citizens also take a bit of punishment.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
most of Americans are a really fine people. as well as most europeans or Aussies. the real problem is arogant powers ruling those (mine too) countries. unless we will give them our full support we can still hope to be warm welcome.

how it works you can see in Russia now. when you know that 99% of citizens are supporting the way the Putin is making his politics than you loose your belif that it is only the russian government to be blame for.

but still you should remember that there are also guys in opposition to him. and cross fingers for them to wake their nation asap.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Everyone hates America UNTIL They need help/money .Funny how that works

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Guilty.

For proof please see my mood.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I think of lot of what is going on is that people in other parts of the world do not understand Americans because we do not rise in the morning and wait for the goverment to tell us what to do. A lot of people that question everything America does were raised into believing that government is the be all end all of everything in life.

People in other parts of the world complain about Americans complaining about high gas prices when it's cheap compared to what they pay in the UK, Canada, etc. Instead of being outraged that the price of gas is outrageous in their own countries.

People in other countries cannot understand why Americans would want to own guns when they do not have the right themselves in their countries.

They don't understand why Americans complain about paying high taxes when it's much higher elsewhere in the world. Of course, people in other countries were raised that everything they earn belongs to the government and that people should be happy with whatever the government decides to give its citizens.

A lot of people think that if it's not done the way they were brainwashed into believing it should be done, then it's wrong.

A lot of people might think because their country has nationalized health care that all countries should have it. They cannot fathom how Americans might feel differently about it.

Anyway, just my .02 and I might have gotten a bit side tracked but I can't help but notice so much anti-Americanism on this site.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFwife

Should we take that as a tongue and cheek comment?

If not, then this only serves to reinforce why America isn't very popular with some, NOT ALL, but some people.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

It's not so much that you can't say anything about the US or our government as it is that a lot of us get irritated when someone makes a claim and fails to provide any proof for their statement. What makes it worse is when everyone else latch onto that claim and don't even think to ask for anything to back it up.

Our government has screwed up a lot in the last 8 years, but we aren't as bad as everyone here likes to try and pretend we are. Most of us are just as unhappy with our government as the rest of the world, but when people here make claims that all Americans are this or Americans do that I personally get quite a bit ticked off over it. Especially when it takes all of 15 seconds to prove the claims false. Yet no one takes that 15 seconds before jumping on the bash Americans train. It makes about as much sense as saying that every German is just like Hitler which obviously isn't the case. Yet so long as it's against Americans a lot of people here think it's 100% truth.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
I think of lot of what is going on is that people in other parts of the world do not understand Americans because we do not rise in the morning and wait for the goverment to tell us what to do. A lot of people that question everything America does were raised into believing that government is the be all end all of everything in life.

People in other parts of the world complain about Americans complaining about high gas prices when it's cheap compared to what they pay in the UK, Canada, etc. Instead of being outraged that the price of gas is outrageous in their own countries.

People in other countries cannot understand why Americans would want to own guns when they do not have the right themselves in their countries.

They don't understand why Americans complain about paying high taxes when it's much higher elsewhere in the world. Of course, people in other countries were raised that everything they earn belongs to the government and that people should be happy with whatever the government decides to give its citizens.

A lot of people think that if it's not done the way they were brainwashed into believing it should be done, then it's wrong.

A lot of people might think because their country has nationalized health care that all countries should have it. They cannot fathom how Americans might feel differently about it.

Anyway, just my .02 and I might have gotten a bit side tracked but I can't help but notice so much anti-Americanism on this site.

I have to disagree with you on this I'm afraid. Not speaking on behalf of all people from UK (in particular), but we're in no way anguished because we pay more for fuel than over the pond, nor do we perceive ourselves to do what our government says without question, or are ''brainwashed'' to.

Have you been to England matey?

[edit on 22-12-2008 by BAZ752]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Yea, everyone loves America until they kill millions of innocents.

Strange how that works

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hate is such a strong word...anyway i hate most of the american people plus its government,that goes for most western countries including uk where im from.

America is just the focal point because its the no.1 super power...which is why its obvious it garners more attention than other countries in topics of discussion which i hate just as much.
[edit on 22-12-2008 by Solomons]

[edit on 22-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Uh huh. I'll give you the benefit of doubt that you were pointing out what draws animosity to the US. That 2%.

I've been to the States many times. Last time was about a year ago. DAMN fine people. Yes, it's the gov't AND the system that it's based on. They haven't had leadership that cared about the average American for decades. The nut to this is that they are given no REAL choice in the political process. Just different cuts of meat from the same animal. I feel for you guys. You're worse off than we are.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Its called patriotism mate

Personally I think, with every country, you have to take the good with the bad. I dislike some americans due to their arrogance and ignorance, yet for every one of those people, there is at least ten who are the complete opposite....ATS proves that point.

But like you, I also hate being labelled anti-american when you say something negative about the USA. Im sure if we really hated the yanks, we would be burning their flag with the other wack-job extremists out there

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Also.. who are you on about? (And don't even think about bringing WW2 into this - that was a lifetime ago)

Might I just add that this is also propaganda that you have Oh So Graciously sucked up.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Lol, remember though, the USA owes billions of dollars to China, and at this point, are far from being richest country in the world

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Yea, everyone loves America until they kill millions of innocents.

Strange how that works

hmm funny I guess I should take that personal but I don't .I am proud of this country ,proud to live here ..NO GRATEFUL .Most of all I am proud to be married to a Soldier serving this country

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

hmm funny I guess I should take that personal but I don't .I am proud of this country ,proud to live here ..NO GRATEFUL .Most of all I am proud to be married to a Soldier serving this country

TBH, that is fair enough and is an opinion/feeling that deserves respect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join