It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occultism is not Satanism

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pickles123

Of course occult practice is forbidden. The "Gods" couldnt control us if it were not.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

Google Christoga - the 100% real, 100% ree-donk-u-lous attempt to make the scary occult practice of 'yoga' safe for god fearing xtians.

Good point. Ive seen some really odd contradictions come from stuff like that. Dont get me started on this....

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Sorry, I wouldnt know where to direct you to on that.

But its interesting to note that with real secret societies there doesnt appear to be much info available.

Edit-to-add: Just saw that Hunka linked some good info.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Yes. There are some biblical teachings that are oddly indicative of this.

Biblical teachings such as "The forces of darkness will appear as forces of light" breeds a lifetime of suspicion toward everything that looks, feels and sounds good.

Fears of being "seduced" to the "dark side" by the most silly and harmless things is also indicative of weak self-confidence (weak faith in Christian terms).

"Please turn off that Led Zeppelin music! It will seduce me to the dark side!"

Response: You are that easily seduced to evil? When did you become such a wimp?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Right, mesthinks I skipped about the last 4 pages, so apologies if this is repetition of anything anyone has said within those pages.

Well, you know what? For the majority of what I read, everyone has come up with good arguments/debates, albeit a few posts which did seem a little harsh and did not need the tone they were written with.

From what I read of the Occult in my teen years, I was never a fully-practitioning Wiccan, which I regret. I might add I got into it not from pop culture, but due to the fact my mum and dads side are all Catholics, however neither of my parents go to church and are basically non-practicing Catholics. My brother and I were never forced into anything Religion-wise, and I felt I wanted a bit of a basis in life, therefore went into my local book shop one day, and walking past the Mind, Body, Spirit section, proceeded to browse and just randomly bought a book (Scott Cunningham). And my fascination grew from there.

I never delved into anything I thought might be wrong, and I'm a perfectly sane person (as many of us are), therefore we know the basics, knowing to do what is Right instead of Wrong. We're all capable of making decisions, so it is up to the individual to either be 'Good' or 'Bad' (For lack of better descriptive words, haha!)

It did wind me up, however, my mum in particular, being so closed minded. She said that I best be careful, not to buy any more books (did I listen?! Hahaha!), all because of the unknown. She is happy in her comfort zone, denying the fact there is more outside the church and all your regular religions. When I managed to sit her down one day and tell her that 'Occult isn't bad, it's how the individual interprets it and how they wish to practice it themselves'. She didn't even realise there was a difference! And when I finally told her that Satanism is nothing to do with Wicca, she was even more surprised (Well, not the fact that Satanism is nothing to do with it, exactly, I had to explain the differences between all the different practices and she kind of clicked then!). I will make her read one of my books one day, just one offering information. I don't fancy converting her to becoming a Wiccan....that'll be an interesting sight

Anyways, I've waffled on long enough and am sure it'll just get skipped heh heh!
I'm just an avid believer in, as long as you know right from wrong, good from bad, and practice good things in life, then that's fine by me.
The End (for now.....
)

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The "Ouroboros" or however its spelled. I was almost going to post one here but then I thought the serpent may offend some

Post a inverted goat pentagram, I don't care, I don't know anyone who would get red in the face and say, "That's teh devil!" Let's be adults here.

"Please turn off that Led Zeppelin music! It will seduce me to the dark side!"

Response: You are that easily seduced to evil? When did you become such a wimp?

Ah, but you seem to wimp out on posting a snake. Interesting.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
Has anyone considered that the God they worship could be the the bibllical "god of this world" aka Satan.

I think many believers had to 'check themselves' to be sure. For me it was a no-brainer. Having met the devil, I know what he looks like, his character was like, and his tactics. Then knowing God, is the most stark contrast one could ever come across.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

It is good to see that others understand this real possiblity. It does take courage to step away and look at the bible, heck, any book, objectively. Just to say, "how would I read this if I didn't already believe it"? Only then does it begin to make sense and allow you to see the convoluted interpretations used in an attempt to make it all fit.

There is nothing that is bad for us to know. It is in how we use the knowledge. Knowledge gives you the power to make better decisions.
And, Jesus, whoever he was, advocated knowledge. He wanted us to be aware. He also knew that everyone was not ready for the deepest, occult, knowledge.

We will all get there when we get there.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Ah, but you seem to wimp out on posting a snake. Interesting.

Its called "respecting others belief-systems".

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Its called "respecting others belief-systems".

Just found it interesting the enouragement to 'talk tough' and yet backing away from 'educating' others, as if Christians (let's face it, that's been your target since your thread title) are too scared of the belief. "It burns my eyes!" Please...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Hi saint4God. If you don't mind me asking, with all due respect, do you believe that all Occultism is Satanism? I don't think anyone in the thread has professed any kind of Satanic belief, so I'm just interested to know what your interest in the thread is.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul
Hi saint4God. If you don't mind me asking, with all due respect, do you believe that all Occultism is Satanism?

One of the main issues I've had with this thread is a lack of definition. Is occultism watching a candle? (as the original poster has denoted along with the innocence thereof) No, watching a candle is not Satanism. Do many Satanists practice occultism? Of course. Again, specifics would be a great help in delineating which occult practices reach across the lines towards Satanism. It's actually an exploratory discussion when there isn't the interference of bitter assumptive, prejudicial bickering.

Originally posted by Cythraul
I don't think anyone in the thread has professed any kind of Satanic belief, so I'm just interested to know what your interest in the thread is.

I only wanted to make one post to this thread, which is to say that Satanists do use occultism, hence the association thereof. From there came the usual fray of how little I know and blind Christians are. I like the original poster and enjoy that dialogue for the most part, dodgey though it may be.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Hope this answers your question:

BY: TWHUPFOLD

Naa...

I for example, can most accurately be called a LaVeyan Satanist, since I follow the Satanic Bible written by Anton Lavey...

But he was just a man ; ) I'm free to accept and discard any part of it that I want to, and as such I have accepted the philosophies and attitudes, and rejected the magic and chanting : )

It doesn't conflict with anything else either, the only part of what I follow that even mentions magic with any seriousness is the 7th Rule: "Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained." Now, since I have never even tried to 'call upon the power of magic', this is pretty much an irrelevant rule to me : )

So no... not all Satanists practice (or even believe in) magic. I imagine that some Satanic schools of thought don't even mention the subject of magic at all *shrugs*

www.answerbag.com...

This is one persons belief. Note the last paragraph - even they don't even practice magic. Hmm. Does this help at all?

[EDIT: I'm finding a good few answers on google just by typing the OP question. Just for anyone who is curious! Gotta run, packing for 4 day crimbo holiday, back Saturday night my time! MERRY CRIMBO everyone! Enjoy it! xxx)

[edit on 23-12-2008 by emmy]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
No, watching a candle is not Satanism. Do many Satanists practice occultism? Of course.

Then we agree. I'm glad. An important discussion Skyfloating has raised here though because most Christians - and I'm sure you know a few saint4God - do not realise that Occultism is not always Satanic.

As I mentioned in my first post of the thread, it's also important that Christians do not consider all Occultists their enemies with regards to fighting worldy injustices. Many (I'd probably say most) Occultists are opposed to the cold injustices perpetrated by our spiritually bankrupt leaders.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by emmy
This is one persons belief. Note the last paragraph - even they don't even practice magic. Hmm. Does this help at all?

[EDIT: I'm finding a good few answers on google just by typing the OP question. Just for anyone who is curious! Gotta run, packing for 4 day crimbo holiday, back Saturday night my time! MERRY CRIMBO everyone! Enjoy it! xxx)

It's helpful to know about the different sects of Satanism for the board. No new info for me and was taking the position from a theistic Satanist's standpoint since this was the extent of my exposure in the past.

Merry Christ-mas to you as well.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by emmy

Sad,

Your Mum and Dad are treated like the deluded ones and you seem like you are holding the truth in your hands.

Isn't that how Christians are seen, that they are oppressive and you enlightened ones are the truth holders?

I see the WICCAN religion as anti-Christian because you WICCANS are some of the most seolf righteous people alive.

Christians love you, you demean them. Who follows a bad religion, who follows a good religion?

You know my vote.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Wow, I must say, many of my preconceptions of occultism have been shattered by this thread. I thought it was all weird rituals and mentally disturbed people, but apparently not. Having read all the posts from the people supposedly informed on the subject, it seems like occultism is simply another take on the Vedas. Much of what has been said here can be found in one school of vedic religion (particularly monist hinduism (advaita vedanta) and Zen Buddhism) or another. Nevertheless, I now have a rather different view on occultism, so thanks to the OP for the thread and the others that have contributed.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Hunka - thanks for all of that

I have gone through a lot of this - I think what I'm looking for isn't available

to be honest - I'm not sure what it is I'm looking for exactly - but, whatever it is, it exists outside of the knowledge they're willing to part with openly

closer to the truth - it exists inside

gotta hand it to them - they know how to keep a secret

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

But its interesting to note that with real secret societies there doesnt appear to be much info available.

you got that right

apparently there are real secret societies

I'm impressed - and frustrated

[edit on 12/23/2008 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pickles123
This is a great thread!

I understand your point of view, especially as one who does see some authority in the bible. However, I just wanted to further add, non-cannonical texts also pin-point that the occultic practice is a forbidden art. Please read 1 Enoch. It talks about how the fallen angels (nephilim/whose progeny were giants) taught these arts to the people. These "fallen angels/ufos/whatever"" learned this from somewhere whether it be from the heavens or another planet. It's possible that their progeny(if real) were the original sun-gods found all over the world. This may be explanation to the origins of the occullt.

Yes, but then the "good" angels give the knowledge to Enoch and he writes it all down in books! So the real moral of the story seems to be, "keep this information secret and out of the hands of the common people!"

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join