It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queensland Babies Given Anti-Depressants, Figures Show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Queensland Babies Given Anti-Depressants, Figures Show

www.news.com.au

TWELVE Queensland babies less than a year old were prescribed anti-depressants last year, Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme figures reveal.

There were 1274 Queensland children aged 10 or under prescribed anti-depressants in the past financial year...

There were also 2818 anti-depressant prescriptions written for Queensland teenagers aged 11 to 15, and 4047 scripts for those between 16 and 18 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
WHAT! This is crazy! Medical experts here in Australia are at a loss as to why so many children, including infants (!) are being prescribed these drugs here in the "Sunshine State."

Babies under twelve months being prescribed anti-depressants? I've got two eighteen month old boys, and I would like to know what the indicators are for diagnosing depression in a baby.

Man, if I gave my two uppers, they'd be scaling the walls.

It would seem that Queensland is going to be the first psycho-civilised state in Australia...

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Man that is NUTS!!! Why the hell would anyone prescribe anti-depressants to an infant? Screwing with peoples brain chemistry at that stage of life is going to have profound negative effects that will manifest later in life IMO. My God, what has this world come to?

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
wow, so they are doing it in Australia too? Wonder how many other countries this agenda is being carried out, getting them while they are young. I have a similar story: My neighbor's neice is 18 and had a healthy baby girl, they took her in for a routine checkup, and whaddaya know, they "suggested" to put the baby on anti-depressants! We're talkin like a 6 month old baby. Now the family are all smaller people, they aren't that tall and are simply built that way, it's obvious if you attend one of their family functions. But the "doctor" said the babe was under weight, slightly, and guess what a SIDE EFFECT of anti-depressants are? Weight gain! Luckily they aren't sheeple and refused the pills, and now go to a different doctor. One thing that bugs me is, are these cases an example of greed on the doc's part to sell out to big pharma and hook little kids to extremely dangerous drugs, OR are the doctor's carrying out population control, or at the very least, dumbing down of the next generation.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X
Man that is NUTS!!! Why the hell would anyone prescribe anti-depressants to an infant?

Because they have another purpose.

TPTB will give them to anybody like lollies these days. I'm suprised you still need a prescription for them to be honest.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I thought us Queenslanders were tough, not a bunch of sooks.
Why do these children need these drugs?
What is so so so DEPRESSING about being in primary school, or not even being able to talk properly.
Sure there is exceptions with some of them.

Harden the .... up Queensland!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I believe the same thing. I wonder if any studies have been done on people taking antidepressants who do not need them. I wonder if it renders a person more open to certain types of suggestion.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I don't know if it was the same report or a different one, but there was a similar thread in the Medical Conspiracies Forum a couple weeks ago – I'm linking it for anyone interested in the topic.

4000 Australian children under 10 Prescribed Antidepressants

Not that anyone could make any sense of this there either. The only possibility I could think of was if they used antidepressants to ease withdrawal symptoms in babies born to addicted mothers, but I couldn't find any studies that suggested that. And in fact, babies born to mothers who are on antidepressants in the third term of pregnancy can go through a withdrawal syndrome from the antidepressants that's usually mild but sometimes treated with sedatives

Someone else in that thread suggested that maybe the pills were actually for someone else, or being sold, and I guess that's possible too. What's health coverage like there? Would children's medicine be covered by the state in cases where the adult's would not, providing a motivation to get a prescription "for your kid" which is actually for yourself?

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Whatever the reason I can say that if a Doc put my infant on antidepressants he or she would have a malpractice suit crammed so far up their arse that they would be choking on paper. As far as I know there is no way to diagnose depression in infants.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ShAuNmAn-X

I totally agree about there not being a way to diagnose depression in infants.

That's why I was brainstorming about other uses, like alleviating withdrawal symptoms. I think Wellbutrin is often prescribed to people who are trying to get off coc aine – I thought it was possible that they were doing studies to see if it would help newborns of crack-addicted mothers.

But I couldn't find anything that suggested they were, so I remain baffled and disgusted by this news.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I wish I knew as well. But as with many things in life we may never know the true reason. Whatever the reason I'll be following this story closely. Not trying to be an alarmist but this is alarming. This is only what has been reported. I believe that there may be more instances of this worldwide that are not reported.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X
Man that is NUTS!!! Why the hell would anyone prescribe anti-depressants to an infant? Screwing with peoples brain chemistry at that stage of life is going to have profound negative effects that will manifest later in life IMO. My God, what has this world come to?

exactly,believe it or not that is the purpose of anti depressants,they actually make things worse by depleting serretonin,hence why they are called serretonin up take inhibitors,they BLOCK the uptake of serretonin!
serretonin is a feel good chemical,responsible for happyness,now why would you want to prevent "depressed" people from transmitting serretonin?,to mess with them even more.

this falls in line with the general stratagem of future ai,they attack our minds,hence mind control,fear related propaganda such as terrorism,niburu end of the world related malarchy,dumbing us down,its all about the war on our minds,and if we dont get our act together the battle for any free will whatsover!.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitor[1] (SSRIs) are a class of antidepressants used in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorders, and some personality disorders. They are also typically effective and used in treating premature ejaculation problems as well as some cases of insomnia.

SSRIs increase the extracellular level of the neurotransmitter serotonin by inhibiting its reuptake into the presynaptic cell, increasing the level of serotonin available to bind to the postsynaptic receptor. They have varying degrees of selectivity for the other monoamine transporters, having little binding affinity for the noradrenaline and dopamine transporters.

Wikipedia

I think you've misunderstood how SSRIs work.

They don't lessen the amount of serotonin that you have, they just prevent it from being taken up by the nerve cells as fast, leaving more of it available in the synapse to maintain signal transmission with the next cell.

So you get more use out of the same amount of serotonin.

That's just SSRIs, though, there are other kinds of antidepressants too.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitor[1] (SSRIs) are a class of antidepressants used in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorders, and some personality disorders. They are also typically effective and used in treating premature ejaculation problems as well as some cases of insomnia.

SSRIs increase the extracellular level of the neurotransmitter serotonin by inhibiting its reuptake into the presynaptic cell, increasing the level of serotonin available to bind to the postsynaptic receptor. They have varying degrees of selectivity for the other monoamine transporters, having little binding affinity for the noradrenaline and dopamine transporters.

Wikipedia

I think you've misunderstood how SSRIs work.

They don't lessen the amount of serotonin that you have, they just prevent it from being taken up by the nerve cells as fast, leaving more of it available in the synapse to maintain signal transmission with the next cell.

So you get more use out of the same amount of serotonin.

That's just SSRIs, though, there are other kinds of antidepressants too.

thanks for the info.

so the mechanism is basicly it prevents seratonin from being transmitted,there fore increasing the supply of seratonin.....so the result is the seratonin is used less at any given time but is more abundant in supply,kinda like a permanent low "up",instead of emotional highs.

any happiness one feels will be reduced but more prolonged,it will be akin to a steady "contentness",lacking in eurphoric or joyous feelings that are assosciated with surges of seratonin.

this is interesting as those on anti depressents often feel content but "zoned out",ie there happy but they cant experience joy so to speak.

does this really cure anything?,or is just papering up the cracks by making people content with whatever is ailing them?,if half the world was at war all the anti depressant folks proabably wouldnt care,and if something amazing happened they wouldnt care either,this is probably why anti depressants cause people to refered to as zombies,there in the middle,a permanent state of luke warmness and nothing else.

furthermore it must be established what is causing people to be depressed?,i hear peopel talk of chemical imbalances.....what is causing that?,how are babies being born wioth chemical imbalances?

i believe its biological nanobots,which can be cured with ultrasound waves,hence why dolphins cure many diseases including depression,dolphins emmit ultrasound waves which destroys the nanobots.

www.earthtimes.org...

look not to pills but to ultrasound!,suffer no more!

[edit on 22-12-2008 by welivefortheson]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson

thanks for the info.

so the mechanism is basicly it prevents seratonin from being transmitted,there fore increasing the supply of seratonin.....so the result is the seratonin is used less at any given time but is more abundant in supply,kinda like a permanent low "up",instead of emotional highs.

Kind of. The first nerve cell produces serotonin t communicate something to the next nerve cell, then reabsorbs it. SSRIs let it stay in the space between the first nerve cell (presynaptic receptor) and the second nerve cell (postsynaptic receptor) for a longer time so the individual signal is stronger.

At least that's what I got from BIO101 – any pharmacists out there, I'd be glad to have it made more clear

What's really interesting to me is that my personal experience (as someone with long-term severe depression) is that when I start taking antidepressants, it makes my feelings more intense – I start caring about what's going on.

But I know that a lot of people report that antidepressants make them feel numbed out.

It's my personal theory (and I have no training, just my gut) that that's one of the difference between needing and having them prescribed unnecessarily by a doctor who's pill-happy.

In the past when I've started a course of antidepressants as I come out of a bad depression, the first month or two are actually more painful, as I start to care about my condition again. It's definitely not "happy pills". I think more clearly, I feel more connected to my body, I become interested in the world around me – the exact opposite of what I've heard a lot of people complain about with antidepressants.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   

That's what I'm wondering. What are the long term effects of antidepressant use when they are not needed. I may have my tin foil hat on too tight but I think it may be so that the masses are more willing to accept whatever is fed to them because their normal reactions are hindered. From what I've seen and experienced, when one doesn't need antidepressants but are on them, they are in a perpetual state of emotional apathy.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ShAuNmAn-X

I agree – it can't be good.

I come off sometimes as "pro-drug" because I believe that the SSRIs have done a world of good for people like me who need them. And I defend them because I know that a lot of the time, it's the people who need them most who feel least like they deserve the help SSRIs can give.

But I think probably 90% of new antidepressant prescriptions are unnecessary, and I think that the pharmaceutics companies did a really terrible thing in all the direct-to-consumer advertising by pretty much implying that if you feel bad about something, you need a pill. And by telling doctors that prescribing them is like prescribing antibiotics – just look up the dosage in the PDR and you're good to go.

If something bad happens, it's appropriate to feel bad

And neurotransmitters are so important to so many functions of the body and mind, and the balances are so fragile, that I think we're really doing damage by handing them out like sugar pills.

Especially to kids.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Hmmmmm. Are this children and infants being abused, perhaps neglected? That can only be the reason they are given been antidepressents.

If they have been through traumatic situations then talking therapy and buckets of love and attention should suffice.

As for giving babies the stuff, very odd indeed.

There is something rotten in Denmark.

Does anyone know if there is ritual abuse and high incidences of paedophilia in Queensland? How about a sudden spate of mall shootings?

I only say this because corrupt systems only exist when officials in the state authorities, police, health systems and social serves at ground level collude to carry out abuse. Case in point Belgium and its national network of paedophilia.

new topics

top topics

join