It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US gives green light for first commercial spaceport

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Hey alyosha!!

"Great Thread."

I had been discussing this event with some Chat friends and the advent of this happening was a temperature measure of time and abilities of being able to get it done.

Steven Colbert had did an interview with the Virgin owner, he had also mentioned this event on his show as well.

Thanks for sharing, "Star and Flag!!"

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Here's a thought:

Has any else notice the sudden surge in space interest by government, military, economic and commercial sectors of society?

NASA's moon base program has officially started preparations, virgin gain permission to construct the spaceport and the first international conference on a space elevator all occurred this year. This is reminiscences of the 1960's when the world experience euphoria over the moon landing, but this second space fever cause is unknown.

Note: I've also read information regarding a "space hotel" to be opened in 2012.

[edit on 20-12-2008 by infinite]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Space could be the ultimate retreat and refuge, an orbital ark, for the Elite when the crap hits the fan on earth. I wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with the rush for it. They could sit back and safely watch the fireworks from orbit.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

Hey red! thanks first to all for the the insight, I saw this article and it just screamed ATS to me to I'm glad I got the chance to share. this whole idea just amazes my and I am still trying to digest it I just hope I will see it to fruition in my lifetime (and all of yours as well) I just say WOW to this!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Space could be the ultimate retreat and refuge, an orbital ark, for the Elite when the crap hits the fan on earth. I wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with the rush for it. They could sit back and safely watch the fireworks from orbit.

I think "they" already have the capability of this and we (the rest of the human race) are given the scraps or the "hand me downs" if you will.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Here's a thought:

Has any else notice the sudden surge in space interest by government, military, economic and commercial sectors of society?

NASA's moon base program has officially started preparations, virgin gain permission to construct the spaceport and the first international conference on a space elevator all occurred this year. This is reminiscences of the 1960's when the world experience euphoria over the moon landing, but this second space fever cause is unknown.

Note: I've also read information regarding a "space hotel" to be opened in 2012.

[edit on 20-12-2008 by infinite]

Much of this was planned for the space program after the Apollo era, but was put to a sudden stop in 73. Had it been allowed to progress in 73, we would be a space going race and there would be these spaceports, hotels, bases, colonies, industries, the list can go on, today. We would be in a far better position world wide had things went on schedule back in 73.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Well put RFburns, that whole "red tape" burns my chaps we all would be better off if the space race would have continued in the manner it was back in the 70's (damn beaurcrats!)

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

It's remarkable, why did we suddenly stop in 1973?
Humans could've been on Mars by now - if we suddenly gave up space exploration. A moon base was originally planned for the 1980s.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I honestly think that we were warned off of projects that would lead to mass population of the moon and mars, for what reasons? your guess is as good as mine but I believe it's resource related in nature or maybe there is some strategic advantage possessed with terrain on the two who knows

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

NASA and the US government said a moon base was not practical and wasteful of Earth's resources in the 1980s. 2004, Bush presents a speech to NASA and claims a moon base is plausible, highly recommended and to be operational by 2019 onwards - expedition to Mars will occur too.

A bit frantic? A change of policy was quick.

NASA are testing the rocket in 2009, which will place mankind on the moon once again. Prototypes for the moon base are currently being tested in Antarctica (videos are on google.)

It a might be a coincidence to the vox populis, but the sudden surge in space du jour and operations is suspicious. By 2020, space travel in near Earth orbit and human activity on another celestial body will be liberal and universal.

Notice one key variable though: Hollywood seems to be climatising us to the notion of an advance civilization monitoring and interacting with the human population.

Hmm, makes you wonder what mankind is about to experience.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Wow well put, I wonder if diplomatic relations with the "observers" has changed in a negative way thus fueling a speed up in the way of space logistics and prime real estate.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   

reply to post by RFBurns

Humans could've been on Mars by now - if we suddenly gave up space exploration. A moon base was originally planned for the 1980s.

The most plausible explanation to it is becasue during Apollo, there were other missions going on, the Mariner missions to Mars and most likely, both Apollo and Mariner found stuff and at that point, government decided to keep things to itself. Even after the launching of Viking in 76 and the first images came back, as well as after the first tests to find life on Mars, everything came to a sudden hault with those discoveries and put us even more in the back seat of progressing humanity's future.

Its quite simple really. Power and control. Keeping us supressed with relic technology while they get to play with the exotic stuff that not only will solve the world's energy problems and resource problems, but also provide for every individual's needs and make humanity completely self sufficient to not have to rely on control mongers who want to maintain their position over the rest of us.

There is no other reasons why our true path got diverted all those years ago. It was like standing ready at the starting line in a race, waiting for that start gun to go off....it never went off! And like the runner still standing there at the starting line, so are we..still wating to start the race, much less finish it.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 21-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   

NASA and the US government said a moon base was not practical and wasteful of Earth's resources in the 1980s. 2004, Bush presents a speech to NASA and claims a moon base is plausible, highly recommended and to be operational by 2019 onwards - expedition to Mars will occur too.

A bit frantic? A change of policy was quick.

This plan by Bush Sr. got sank even before the keel was laid. He wanted a "Battlestar Galactica" method of going back to the moon, and congress told Bush to go fly a kite because there was no way congress was going to spend half a trillion dollars to return to the moon much less make a jump to mars.

NASA are testing the rocket in 2009, which will place mankind on the moon once again. Prototypes for the moon base are currently being tested in Antarctica (videos are on google.)

Ahh yes the "Apollo on steroids" program. Big advancement, big ambitious dreams to use the same hardware as we did in the 60's. However, Robert Zubrin's ideas are more practical..and more modern, and less expensive than NASA's and Bush Jr.'s plan.

It a might be a coincidence to the vox populis, but the sudden surge in space du jour and operations is suspicious. By 2020, space travel in near Earth orbit and human activity on another celestial body will be liberal and universal.

Notice one key variable though: Hollywood seems to be climatising us to the notion of an advance civilization monitoring and interacting with the human population.

Hmm, makes you wonder what mankind is about to experience.

Hopefully a true experience than just a glamorized Hollywood statement.

But considering so much resource is being dumped into a false premise war, and talk of starting another false premise war, and a new incomming administration who wants to chop up NASA even more than ever before, the outlook is very very bleek. But again, things may change..as this incomming pres elect has said time and time again...change.

Lets just hope its the RIGHT change.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

reply to post by RFBurns

I thought it was because we didn't have the money. We were riding high after WW2 but Vietnam, Nixon ending Bretton Woods, the collapse of American industry, and the energy crisis changed all of that.

1973 is when the Yom Kippur War happened and when the energy crisis essentially began. The US internally hit peak oil at the time and had to begin importing. By 1979 the effect had intensified with the Iranian revolution.

When Reagan took office the US was in a deep recession. He funneled tons of money into the military industrial complex for a military buildup against the Soviet Union. We accumulated massive amounts of debt from that.

Basically we have never again been in the economic position to take on space like we did in the 60s and it hasn't been a high priority to do so either.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Is it just me or are they in a hurry?
2 years to finish a spaceport??

What's the rush?
Disclosure?
Will aliens start landing?
Can I finally upgrade from local deliveries (trucker) to universal deliveries?

Back to serious: TWO years?
Don't projects of that size usually take more like 10-20 years?

Samuel

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Uh, have you guys ever heard of the Kodiak Launch Complex? A licensed commercial spaceport long before this one.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is wonderful news and yes we do live in a great time but I actually would have preferred to have been born in a time when humanity has spread out past our solar system. I have high hopes humanity will accomplish this someday.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join